Easiest First Build Pedal

Started by dangb523, June 01, 2007, 04:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dangb523

hey,
ive been doing mods to pedals, for a while kno (ds 1, crybaby) and im building a looper but
im really interested in building my own pedal , unfourtuantly thers thousands of easy to build pedals
on the internet, i was wondering if i get any recommendations for super super easy pedals
to build.
Thanks

Pushtone

Orange Squeezer
Scrambler
AMZ Mini Booster
Fetzer Valve

Have a look at the Tonepad.com. Fp lists each project as beginner, intermediate, and advanced.

Good Luck
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

markm

How about Gus' Booster, the NPN Booster -or-, dare I call it this.......the "Beginner Project"!  :icon_lol:
Really, a FANTASTIC sounding and very useful circuit!

petemoore

A 1Q booster makes an excellent introducion to actives and power supply.
  It's worth the build for that, amps that sound great with hot input signal..sound great with booster.
  THere's a new DIST+/OD250 etc. [many hard clipper circuits can be built on same board] article/project for breadboarding a distortion circuit, that topology of OD250 is on my PB, and is a fairly simple, useful, moddable, 'distortion engine'.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

calculating_infinity

Quote from: markm on June 01, 2007, 04:22:13 PM
How about Gus' Booster, the NPN Booster -or-, dare I call it this.......the "Beginner Project"!  :icon_lol:
Really, a FANTASTIC sounding and very useful circuit!

+1 on the beginner project, plus there are pictorials for you to make it even easier! 

edit* Colorsound one knob fuzz should be simple too.  Andy Carrell aka Dragonfly made some pictorials for a VERO layout.  Check the layouts gallery if interested.

ambulancevoice

Bass Fuzz, LPB 1/2, Electra Distortion
Bass Fuzzes are fun to experiment with
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

foxfire

i second the bazz fuss. it sounds pretty decent if you like dirty fuzz like me.

shadowmaster

Why build something easy but sounds terrible? Easy Drive for me...   :icon_wink:

calculating_infinity

Quote from: shadowmaster on June 01, 2007, 09:13:13 PM
Why build something easy but sounds terrible? Easy Drive for me...   :icon_wink:

These all sound pretty good IMO not sure what you are talking bout.  :P

Meanderthal

I am not responsible for your imagination.

newbie builder

Beginner project! I built it as probably my 15th or 16th build, but I love it and use it often- great useful pedal that sounds very nice.
//

ambulancevoice

i would do, a simple, one transistor design first, just to give you an idea of how things work, what not to do and what to do etc
nothing ground breaking, with 5000 components, ic's and shit,
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

rockgardenlove

My first was the Rangemaster!

PeterJ

My first active build was the Fetzer Valve -- easy to build on perf, and I learned a lot about component spacing. More important, I learned about offboard wiring -- it took a lot longer to get the thing in a box than to build the board! Simple is best when you're just getting started. BTW, it sounds great -- I use it as my solo boost pedal.
Duct tape and particle board!

newbie builder

Quote from: PeterJ on June 02, 2007, 09:54:04 AM
More important, I learned about offboard wiring -- it took a lot longer to get the thing in a box than to build the board!

One of the main reasons to do a pedal with ONE POT to start with- offboard wiring is, for me at least, by far the least fun part of the pedal and in many ways the hardest. More often then not, if there is a problem with one of my builds, it's because I rushed the offboard wiring step and missed a ground connection or something stupid like that.
//

96ecss

I built the Mini-Booster first. http://generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=121
Easy build and great sounding. It's still on my pedalboard and I use it everyday.

Dave

petemoore

IIRC I put a version of this in the additions to the FAQ.
 Lay out the resistors according to parts sheet using the color code markings, all other parts too.
 Look one move ahead [like when playing chess] for each piece...after...
 Count the number of connections made at each node, place the parts for that nodes connections [resistors placed right after being measured/verified as correct with the DMM]...[polarized parts like diodes/capacitors oriented correctly]...making sure you have room/space/clearance for the later parts/connections.
 Re-verifying every move is a good way to start, take your time and review the schematic as related to board population often.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

oldrocker

My advice for fuzz would be :
Fuzz Face
BossTone
Muff Fuzz
Or a ROG Mockman or Big Daddy