Spyder question - current capacity

Started by bdevlin, January 04, 2007, 11:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdevlin

I built a Spyder with 7 transformers using this power supply circuit: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/ultra_clean_ps_sc.gif.
It seems to work fine for all pedals except my PT80.  The PT80 documentation says it can draw up to 35 ma.  On top of that I have a Maxim charge pump circuit built into the PT80.  The PT80 will work with a 9v battery but not the Spyder/Ultra Clean PS circuit.  Is it possible it lacks enough current?  If so, what are my alternatives?

brett

Almost any transformer will manage a lowly 35mA.  Allowing for losses, it only needs a VA rating of about 10 (V) x 0.05 (A) = 0.5 VA.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Cliff Schecht

Yeah something else is wrong here... Why is the PT-80 not run off of 9 volts? The PT2399 only uses 5 volts on the schematic I'm using (Robote).

Also, I have a good 10 to 11 effects that run off my pedalboard power supply at any given time, effects draw so little current it's not funny. The digital effects can eat up quite a bit more, but either way, I'm running a 4A 12V wall wart into a 9 volt regulator that can handle up to 1.5A. Current draw is almost never an issue when running analog or non-microprocessor digital effects.

My bet is you are wiring something wrong or a connection isn't being made somewhere.

bdevlin

Quote from: Cliff Schecht on January 05, 2007, 05:34:08 AM
Yeah something else is wrong here... Why is the PT-80 not run off of 9 volts? The PT2399 only uses 5 volts on the schematic I'm using (Robote).

My bet is you are wiring something wrong or a connection isn't being made somewhere.

there's a 5 volt regulator for the PT2399.  The rest of the circuit is powered off the 9 volt.  The thing is that I am simply connecting the battery snap to a 9 volt battery or connecting the battery snap to my 9v regulated supply (via a mating battery snap).  Both have the same voltage yet the regulated supply does not produce any echo effect.  The effect has signal, but no echo.  But again, if I plug in a battery, everything is great.   

lynessmy

Sorry for resurrecting this old tread...

I'm not sure you had straight this out but i see your Charge Pump is a problem.
Max1044 only have 10mA current capacity. Apparencely not enought to supply your 35mA PT80.
The other charge pump ic i knew of -- ICL7660 is capable to supply 20mA but still far from 35 mA as documented.
Try to build a PSU for your baby...