Help! Studio4 doesn't wanna work

Started by bioroids, June 06, 2007, 11:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioroids

Hi!

I'm trying to get back to AVR programming and installed the soft after an "upgrade" to Windows XP. But I can't make it work like it used to!
When starting AVR Studio 4 I get the error "Error creating plugin" and "Error creating compiler", and the plugin manager is empty.

Also I don't have the usual "Assembler or Gcc" choice when I want to create a new project, I get an empty box where I should have the options.

Any help is welcomed

Regards

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

The Tone God

Which versions of AVRStudio and WinAVR are you using ?

Andrew

bioroids

Hi Andrew!

I first tried with the latest version found at Atmel site (4.13) and WinAVR sourceforge pages. When I found it wasn't working I switched (after uninstalling everything) to the version I had installed before (4.12 and a service pack to upgrade it but still 4.12), but I had the exact same results.

Regards

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

The Tone God

Can you post the versions numbers for both Studio and WinAVR ? Be aware that you need Studio 4.13 to use the newer WinAVR. 4.12 does not work with the newer WinAVR.

What errors are you getting ?

Andrew

bioroids

WinAVR 20060125 and AVR Studio 4b460 upgraded with service pack 2 to 4b498

I was using this versions last year, but with Windows 2003 OS, not XP.

I get the Error creating plugin and error creating compiler in the Message window at Studio 4, and I can't seem to connect to the STK500 (it tells me no board is found)

Regards!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

The Tone God

Did you uninstall both Studio and WinAVR before installing ? Also did you delete the registry entries ?

Andrew

bioroids

I uninstalled but did not erase the registry entries... should I? I'm gonna try it anyway

I'll let you know what happens

Thanks!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

The Tone God

You might also want to delete the C:\Program Files\Atmel\AVR Tools folder.

Make sure you have this too:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&displaylang=en

Andrew

bioroids

Hi!

I tried reinstalling after erasing all the registry entries and also installed the Windows Installer patch you linked, but it is still not working :(

Do I really need WIN AVR if I only want to program in Assembler? I mean, at least that should be working. Even when I try to load an old project the whole program crashes.

Do you know of any incompatibilities, I'm starting to suspect the damn XP (I'm using SP2). Maybe running the program in compatibility mode? I'm installing in a different path because I'm running out of space at disk C:, but I remember this was working last year, before switching to XP.

Also I have no connection to the STK500 board, the AVR prog menu only arises a warning saying no board is found.

Regards!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

bioroids

It works!

I came across a post in AVR freaks forum, apparently this is some kind of random problem that can happen since version 4. It is related to problems or misconfiguration in the system and not AVR studio itself. Most probably AV or malware related.

So I runned AVG anti-rootkit free and it found one rootkit file, I removed it and Studio4 started working! The same thing happened to other people in that forum and they fixed it in exactly the same way.

Thanks Andrew for your help!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

The Tone God

That is GREAT news! I knew there was something at Freaks about this as I remember reading about it awhile ago but I didn't pay much attention to it as I use 2000 and couldn't find it afterwards.

And just for the record you don't need WinAVR if you want to use assembly. The assembly part is built into Studio.

Good luck and congrats again. :)

Andrew