thoughts on Digitech Space Station eprom copying?

Started by Processaurus, June 07, 2007, 10:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ground Control

XP-200 to XP-300 mod in process.

I installed my 18-pin DIP sockets yesterday.  I'm awaiting receipt of 3 Tantalum caps from Digikey and some RAM chips coming from China.
I've made contact with Greg (Govmnt_Lacky) to get an XP-300 EEPROM burned.  I can't wait to get this all sorted out electrically...then I'll probably strip the pedal and repaint it.

I 'll probably remove the Bypass switch and plastic actuator assembly and replace it with a real momentary switch on a new plate.  I had an XP-100 10 years ago or so and I did this same mod to replace a bad switch.  Need to figure out how to do the same for the Up/Down switch since it's placed on top of the PCB. 

MüThing

Seeing as the solder points for the switch are reachable on the underside I'm guessing you can just desolder the switch, cover the existing hole with something (JB weld?) and fit the switch in the space below the board.

digi2t

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. There is a vendor in Germany that sells replacement kits for these. They include the plastic cover, spring, and switch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digitech-Push-Button-Cap-Repair-kit-Control-One-GSP-2101-FC-2120-RP6-RP7-RP10-/252324564207?hash=item3abfb74cef:g:6oUAAOSwxvxW7DyL
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Govmnt_Lacky

OR....

I could send you some replacement 12mm tactile switches to replace the bad ones....

Your call but let me know quick because I am going to be sending out those EEPROMs to you soon.  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

digi2t

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 31, 2016, 09:17:59 AM
OR....

I could send you some replacement 12mm tactile switches to replace the bad ones....

Your call but let me know quick because I am going to be sending out those EEPROMs to you soon.  ;)

Now THAT'S service!  :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

Ground Control

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 31, 2016, 09:17:59 AM
OR....

I truly appreciate the offer, but no thanks.  The stock switches work ok. 
I just have never liked those plastic actuators with the tact switches.  It's a FEEL thing.

I prefer these:

Ground Control

My EEPROMs arrived today.

BIG thanks to Govmnt_Lacky for the fast turnaround!

Ground Control

SUCCESS!

My XP-200 is now an XP-300.

Thanks again to GOVMNT_LACKY for the EEPROMs.  I greatly appreciate it.

Next step is to replace the switches.  The Program select switch is definitely janky.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Ground Control on April 11, 2016, 08:47:17 PM
SUCCESS!

My XP-200 is now an XP-300.

Thanks again to GOVMNT_LACKY for the EEPROMs.  I greatly appreciate it.

Next step is to replace the switches.  The Program select switch is definitely janky.

Good deal!

Good luck with using those soft touch stomps. When and if you do it, share some pics here. I know I am curious as to how you will incorporate them.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

othernaut

Hello!  I've done a good amount of research, and am ready to start picking up the components to mod my xp200, could I get a hand on the EEPROM, and reccommends for the other additional components?  I'd be more than glad to compensate for the trouble.  JamesCliffordDrake@gmail.com
humble mumble

Govmnt_Lacky

Anybody happen to have any spares of the 27C1001 adapter PCBs that marmaliser made? I am looking for 2 of them for projects and don't want to have to do a PCB fab order. I'm in the US.

PM me if you have them and we will work out the details  ;)

mitchschaft

I have two that I populated. They aren't perfect and I haven't tested them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

marmaliser

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 20, 2016, 09:30:16 AM
Anybody happen to have any spares of the 27C1001 adapter PCBs that marmaliser made? I am looking for 2 of them for projects and don't want to have to do a PCB fab order. I'm in the US.

PM me if you have them and we will work out the details  ;)
Happy to pop two in the post free gratis for you .  PM me your addy

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: mitchschaft on April 20, 2016, 09:40:09 AM
I have two that I populated. They aren't perfect and I haven't tested them.

Thanks but I am looking for just the PCBs. I have all of the other items ready to go.

Appreciate the offer though...  ;)

Ground Control

I got my new momentary footswitches installed today.  They work great!

Grossly over-simplified instructions:
Step 1: Remove Main PCB from the chassis. There is 1 screw internally and the 3 nuts on the audio jacks hold it in place.  Be careful not to damage the treadle LED on the way out.
Step 2: Unscrew the lower Bypass footswitch PCB assembly from the chassis (2 screws).
Step 3: Remove the plastic footswitch actuators.  With a small slotted screwdriver, push on the plastic bits that hold it in place.
Step 4: Unsolder the 2 wires that connect the footswitch PCB to the main PCB.
Step 5: Unsolder the Program Select tactile switch from the bottom side of the Main PCB.  You'll reuse the 2 left-most holes on the top side for the new switch.
Step 6: Drill an appropriate hole in the chassis just below the Main PCB.
Step 7: Drill holes in metal footswitch mounting plate to match hole pattern on chassis.
Step 8: Install jacks & plate on chassis
Step 9: Solder wires from new switches to Main PCB

Removed the plastic footswitches & Drilled new upper footswitch hole:

Unsoldered the existing switches:

Unused parts when done:

New footswitch plate:

Footswitches mounted after drilling:

Soldered Footswitch wires:

Done!

Video of it in action:

digi2t

QuoteGrossly over-simplified instructions:

No such thing.

Every document or manual I've ever written, I wrote with the same intention, and yet, there always happens to be questions that come back to put that premise in doubt.  :icon_mrgreen:

Great work! :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

MüThing

Just hopping in again to say that the pins S and G on Q7 (directly down and left from the R30 smd pads) works as a point to connect the relay to enable 100 mode stereo output, seems like a better solder point for making this work.

Steven_B

I Wanted to thank marmaliser, digi2t and Govmnt_Lacky for their time and effort in this mod.
When i bought a xp-400 just for fun i had no idea there was this mod that could make it into the crazy pedal called the xp-all.

With the help of marmaliser who supplied me with literaly anything (ram, eeprom, socket pcb etc.) and a day soldering with help of the guide my xp-all was alive and roaring. I probably will post a few pics of the guts and still have to finish the stereo part with the relay, but that has a rather low priority :P

Thank you all !

digi2t

Wonderful news!!! Enjoy your XP-ALL!!  :icon_biggrin:

Quote from: MüThing on May 14, 2016, 05:32:29 PM
Just hopping in again to say that the pins S and G on Q7 (directly down and left from the R30 smd pads) works as a point to connect the relay to enable 100 mode stereo output, seems like a better solder point for making this work.

I just saw this post. I'll take a look at this. If so, I'll take some pictures when I have a moment, and edit the build doc.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

MüThing

I've been checking the schematics for the XPs, and I've noticed there's two test points labelled TP1 and TP2. They're connected to the pins LAV and LMV respectively on the DSP chip (TMS57070). Anyone tried hooking them up to a meter or scope?