HAO Rust Booster II

Started by CoolJohnny, June 08, 2007, 10:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolJohnny

anyone reverse engineered this one?
my car is so slow i piss off amish people....

markm

Not me....
I wonder if there's a big difference in the circuit from the Rust Driver?
Could be as simple as no clipping diodes but, I don't know.

CoolJohnny

saw that layout of yours and figured i'd breadboard it and see what i can come up with. i cant remember ever using an LM358 op-amp before so this will be new territory. you wouldn't happen to have a schematic of that layout you've posted would you?

i tried the single-knob green HAO boost (can't remember the name, the plexi-sounding one with the three tones settings) at a shop. i liked it but it had way too much gain for me so i thought i'd try to come up with something a bit tamer.

what i'm looking for is an overdrive that can take me from my dod 250 clone (that i use basically as a heavy bost) and into fuzz face territory without all the mud.

and additionally, would you be ammenable to making a board or two for a guy with no printer or practical room to use chemicals?...for a fee of course...

jonathan perez

Quote from: CoolJohnny on June 09, 2007, 03:02:45 PM

what i'm looking for is an overdrive that can take me from my dod 250 clone (that i use basically as a heavy bost) and into fuzz face territory without all the mud.

so why not just keep the 250, build a fuzz face and modify it?
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

CoolJohnny

you would think that would make sense wouldn't it? but i don't know, something about the popularity of the fuzz face makes me wary of it. for that matter i've never played a tubescreamer a RAT, univibe or any obvious choices out there (not that they are popular for the wrong reasons). and besides, i've made so many two transistor overdrives i feel like i've learned all i can from them, with pleasing results. im interested in trying designs im not familiar with, and built the 250 pretty straight. want to experiment more with opamp designs. make sense?

markm

Quote from: CoolJohnny on June 09, 2007, 03:02:45 PM
and additionally, would you be ammenable to making a board or two for a guy with no printer or practical room to use chemicals?...for a fee of course...

Perhaps.......
Here's the schem;
http://matsumin.gozaru.jp/diy/jisaku_fx/RUST_DRIVER/HAO_RUST_DRIVER_ori.BMP

JHS

The RBI/II is a simple preamp-circuit, based around a single opamp (like a dozend other IC-based booster from the cookbook). The RD-circuit ist way more complex. Technical and soundwise it's nothing more than the IC-version of the old  E-H LPB-1 boost.
The input impedance of the RD is under 50k, IC is a TL0.

If you increase the I/O caps of a RBI, the booster will sound more like a RDII.

JHS

markm

Huh.
Interesteing.
I had assumed that perhaps it was just the same "trick" MXR did with the D+ and MicroAmp.