[NEW VERO] Tubescreamer SRV Special - Now Available

Started by ulysses, June 09, 2007, 10:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulysses

hey guys

just a quick note to say that the srv special is now available in my layouts section of the layout gallery.

it sounds nice.

if you build it, let me know what you think.

cheers
ulysses

Joep

Sorry, this happens when you answer to quick! :-[  Just Nice work!

Nice work! but....

R11 seems to be shorted by the wire bridge just under the OPAMP (J7, K7)

Joep

rasco22862

anybody knows if this project sounds more "SRV" than TS808? Maybe a sound clip?

markm

I have no clips of this circuit but I will say, it is significantly more aggressive sounding than any TS I've ever heard.

QSQCaito

Hey mark, what do you mean with significantly more agressive? More distorsion.. more what??

Thanks a lot, gotta check the difference with regular TS 808 and see if it can be switched.

EDIT: Does anybody has a link to the layout?? The gallery search function is not working, at least to me :(

Bye, thanks.

EDIT2: Got it ;)
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/ulysses
D.A.C

markm

Quote from: QSQCaito on June 10, 2007, 03:06:15 PM
Hey mark, what do you mean with significantly more agressive? More distorsion.. more what??

Yeah, I'd say more distortion, certainly more powerful. Seems to my ears the mid-hump isn't as pronounced plus the tone is a bit more "raw" I would say. I don't know if you could do a mod to a standard TS to acheive this because there is some significant differences in the circuit. IMO opinion it's on the border of OD and Distortion.
I hope this helps a bit.  :)

QSQCaito

A question arises. It deserves the name SRV special?.. what I mean is, will it help get a more accuurate SRV sound.. if the SRV sound is the ts808(maybe 2, a univibe.. and some others for others songs)??

Thanks a lot Mark ;)

bye bye

DAC

PS I'll breadboard when I build my regular ts to see which one I like best.
D.A.C

ulysses

hi guys

i have put an audio demo in my section of the layouts gallery. to give you some idea of what it sounds like.

i kept the marshall at clean volumes so you dont get any distortion of my tubes.

demo goes, clean, 25% drive, 100% drive

its quite crunchy and fuzzy at the same time.. feels very stadium rock..

cheers
ulysses

hairyandy

Quote from: QSQCaito on June 10, 2007, 03:53:02 PM
A question arises. It deserves the name SRV special?.. what I mean is, will it help get a more accuurate SRV sound.. if the SRV sound is the ts808(maybe 2, a univibe.. and some others for others songs)??

Hmmm, not too sure.  I have it from a very dependable (close) source that SRV was favoring some stock TS10's during the last couple years of his life.  I thought his tone on 'In Step' was maybe the best he'd ever had.  It kinda puts that whole mojo thing into question...

Andy
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

MartyMart

Quote from: hairyandy on June 11, 2007, 03:31:28 AM

I have it from a very dependable (close) source that SRV was favoring some stock TS10's during the last couple years of his life.  I thought his tone on 'In Step' was maybe the best he'd ever had.  It kinda puts that whole mojo thing into question...

Andy

It's been said a few times Andy and supposed to be some live footage/photo's that confirm  TS-10's in his rig too !.
There are some differences from the "10" compared to an "808" :
Obvious 100k and 470Ohm at output to 10k and 100Ohm
Extra tranny "Q6" needs to be removed and jumpered
Input buffer is biased differently and needs a pair of 10k's in place of R2/R3
Couple of other small changes in values also.
I'm sure that he would have been using a 10 "stock" though !!  why go to all the trouble of making them
exactly like a "9" or "808" when he has 'em anyway ?
His sound has GOT to be all about HIS TALENT coupled with a VERY loud amp more than his handful of FX.
Listening carefully to the "Live at the El-Macombo" DVD shows you just how "clean" his sound is, there's not
a ton of distortion going on, it's mostly just very loud and on the edges of breakup, probably pushed  a bit with
his '808 ( possibly a TS-9 at the time ? )

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

hairyandy

Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

markm

Quote from: hairyandy on June 11, 2007, 10:41:36 AM
Right you are I think MM...

Andy

I agree as well.
I'm not a big SRV fan but, his tone at the time was Very distinctive indeed. I don't think mine sounds quite the same as the Ulysses clip and at this point, I really wish I could record clips. Bare in mind though, I play a Tele through a Fender Twin Reverb and that could be the difference right there.  ???
I could be wrong but, It sounds to me that Ulysses may have been using a 'Bucker equipped gee-tar.

wampcat1

Quote from: hairyandy on June 11, 2007, 03:31:28 AM
Quote from: QSQCaito on June 10, 2007, 03:53:02 PM

Hmmm, not too sure.  I have it from a very dependable (close) source that SRV was favoring some stock TS10's during the last couple years of his life.  I thought his tone on 'In Step' was maybe the best he'd ever had.  It kinda puts that whole mojo thing into question...

Andy

You are correct... I'm friends with an old tech of his who confirmed something similar... it could've been anything though with srv - it wasn't the magic of the pedals, it was talent, period.
bw

markm

Quote from: wampcat1 on June 11, 2007, 03:18:56 PM
You are correct... I'm friends with an old tech of his who confirmed something similar... it could've been anything though with srv - it wasn't the magic of the pedals, it was talent, period.
bw

I would agree with that.
He knew just how to set the EQ on his amp to get the best tone possible out of it.

(just kidding!)  :icon_lol:

ulysses

Quote from: markm on June 11, 2007, 10:50:14 AM
Bare in mind though, I play a Tele through a Fender Twin Reverb and that could be the difference right there.  ???
I could be wrong but, It sounds to me that Ulysses may have been using a 'Bucker equipped gee-tar.

hey mark

im playing singlecoil dogear p90's but they are hot. people always presume they are humbuckers.. when i turn the guitar volume right down the crunch drops away..

i did turn the volume on the marshall down so it doesnt break up - and the tone sounds similar on my solidstate fender sidekick 25 - so i dont think the amp is influencing the tone that much - does sounds really nice clean though - much better than the sidekick 25 :)

if i was ever wealthy enough to own multiple expensive amps the '65 reverb would be fairly high on the list :)

does your build sound much more like a regular tubescreamer? maybe if youve got time you could get me the opamp pin voltages to compare :D

cheers
ulysses