ugly face - electrolytic capacitors ??

Started by 1878, June 14, 2007, 07:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone...

I chose the UglyFace as my first build, and I've run into a few problems. I've got the fuzz sound, but very little else !! I've tried changing the VTL5C3 'round as was suggested in another post, but all to no avail. As a newbie to all this, I'm wondering if any components I've used are causing problems ?? Someone has suggested that the 'electrolytic capacitors' I'm using could be the source of my woe, but surely if this was the case, there would be no sound whatsoever ?? All other components are of the correct ratings etc, so I'm at a loss as to the exact nature of the catastrophe.

I've got enough components to start from scratch, so I think that's what I'm gonna do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

smnm

Are you using the runoffgroove layout?

http://www.home-wrecker.com/uglyface.html

If so, just try and make it as close the the layout as possible, but if you start over, use a bigger board so you have some more space - you can see where your mistakes are visibly that way.  Either way: persevere, make sure all the junction points have the right connections and the electro caps - the ones with the minus leads - are the right way around, and that you have put in the jumper underneath the 555 chip etc.

Make the audio probe on this page - it's a great help!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html

GREEN FUZ

The UGLYFACE can be a bit finicky. You only get particular sounds on certain settings. With the frequency rolled back you should get the Octave down. With Threshold turned up it should start to self oscillate. I`m getting almost Theremin like sounds. My one doesn`t get the Space gun sounds but I`ve used a homemade optoisolator. I`m waiting on a shipment from Musikding which includes the VTL5C3.

Yes, I'm using the ROG layout. Everything seems to be correct except I've only used electrolytic capacitors. I'd been worried by the fact that some components on the layout weren't marked with a + or -. Would this cause any problems ?? As I said, I'm a COMPLETE newbie to all of this and I accept I'm gonna look a bit stupid from time to time.

Also, I've built the version with the blend/mix mod...

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=54053.0

and I only get a signal when the mix is all the way to 'clean' if you see what I mean. It's as if the oscillating part (the fun bit) is just not working. I'll make the audio probe and go from there. I'm gonna take the weekend off though. I'm actually having dreams about this thing !!

Thanks again. I shall no doubt report back with my findings.

Just remembered. I've also built it with a 3PDT switch and LED. This all seems to work fine though.

Cheers.

foxfire

I'm actually having dreams about this thing !!

a while back i had built 2 byoc pedals. a phaser and a muff. infact they are the ony pedals on my board other than a tuner. anyway i decided to put them in a single enclosure with a flipper switch and did a mod to each pedal. so i got them all wired up, did the mod to the muff without too much trouble. next i did the vibe mod to the phaser. so i plugged in the pedal to test it and it sounded like shit. all distorted and what not. i was new to mod'n pedals but the vibe mod is super easy. i spent 3 nights of no sleep trying to figure out what i did wrong. in the end the only thing wrong was that the electricity at my shop where i tested it was dirty and all over the place. long story short it's most likely something stupid and  the more you think about it the worse it gets but it seems like you are able to walk away. i'm jealous. sorry if i'm ot.

theblackman

um, have you replaced normal caps with electrolytic caps on that layout?? If so change them to normal caps. electrolytics work with respect to a certain direction of current flow.
Bought: zvex woolly mammoth, octane 3, moogerfooger ringmod, frostwave resonator, boss sd1, ds1, dd6
Built: big muff, green ringer, tremulus lune, the crank
Planned: harmonic percolator, pt80, shin ei.

I replied a couple of days ago, but it may have got lost when the forum was down...

As soon as I went back to the pedal, I realised I'd made a couple of simple mistakes. I'd wired the volume and mix pots wrong, and the 9v dc jack needed a bit of attention. Anyway, for the time being, I decided not to change any of the components. I plugged everything back in after attending to these problems and it all seemed much better. I'm getting the clipped fuzzy sounds, I can hear the frequency sweep and the mix/volume pots all work no problem.

The only problem now is, the sensitivity STILL has no effect whatsoever. I'm not getting any oscillation when I play. I thought this could have been the Vactrol (VTL5C3) not being wired properly, but I've tried that. I'd added a blue LED indicator to let me know when this thing was on, and it dims slightly when I play a note. I take this as the power being used elsewhere, i.e the Vactrol, but it still seems there's a minor problem making a major difference to the pedal.

Has anyone made there own Vactrol for the UglyFace ?? Can anyone tell me what I need with correct voltages etc.. ??

Thanks for your time everyone.

GREEN FUZ

I can`t explain your problem with the Vactrol but there are a couple of threads relating to it. Seems others have had similar problems.
I made my own with a photoresistor ripped out of a `snap circuits`kit and the brightest blue LED I had. Filed the top of the LED so it met flush with the resistor and wrapped the lot up with heatshrink. It seems to do the job but I`m going to try swapping with an VTL5C3 to see if it makes much difference. If it ever arrives from Musikding. I`ve been waiting three weeks now.

I don`t know what the values of the photoresistor are but you can get them here. http://www.cs-sales.net/6scrp.html

There`s a build report here by Gary Burchett which you might find useful.http://www.home-wrecker.com/uglyface.html

Good luck.

smnm

Quote from: 1878 on June 27, 2007, 06:21:16 AMI'm getting the clipped fuzzy sounds, I can hear the frequency sweep and the mix/volume pots all work no problem.

The only problem now is, the sensitivity STILL has no effect whatsoever.

this happened with mine - turns you can fry the LED part of the vactrol if it's connected wrong - try another if you have one. I got mine off ebay.

Thanks for the replies...

I ordered two, so changing them wont be a problem. It seems I'd fitted it correctly first time 'round though, and it's also been said that some companies have wrongly labelled their Vactrols in the past, so I don't really have any clue as what to do this time !?!? I think I'll replace it over the weekend and see what happens. If this doesn't work, I'll try the homemade route.

I am DESPERATE to get this thing up and running, but patience is a virtue I suppose.

Thanks again.