[wtb] beginner low noise power supply

Started by teddybear, June 16, 2007, 12:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddybear

need schematic powersupply for beginner 9volt. (low noise)
thx

petemoore

Hard to beat a VS 1 Spot adapter..
  Or.
  Use filter caps and wall wart
  Use wall wart with voltage regulator
  Building a PS involves working with high voltage, sealed plastic 1Spot is very stiff and steady DC output = low noise, powers lots of pedals daisy chained.
  If you're going to build it, consider 'the Spyder' [I recieved the transformer today, I'm trying to get a clue what the 20 wires emanating from the 4 corners are to be assigned to or where the primary and secondaries are or...anything...
  The spyder, when figured out will breaks ground loops by making all the outputs decoupled and completely independant.
  If I don't find what didn't come as promised IMO...the 'code' in 'color coded wires' purported to be with the Weber spyder transformer...I'll have to start at the drawing boards to figure out all that what's surley been figured out...hard to believe this thing didn't come with a diagram, chart, or wiring texts...what a whole lot of unnecessary work for each person new to it to have to go through...ughhh...and at safety levels of high voltage too !
  For every other transformer I've had, charts, texts, and diagrams were made available...but they had a fraction of the wires...

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

teddybear

in my country hard to find custom transformator.
i use 3A tranformator. could this thing do the job?
or maybe any diy i should try?
thx

newbie builder

Maybe you'd like to buy a kit- small bear has what you've described already detailed out.
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Kits+And+Designs
//

mewithyou

dude what i did was i went to harbor freight and bought a adjustable wall ac-dc converter or $3.00 and riped off the plastic casing and put the transformer in my chassis ill have pics up in a little

teddybear

i wanna ask about spyder using single diode rectifier bridge or rectifier bridge?
thx

Violent5

I'm new to the forum.  I built a few pedals a few years ago and just finished a couple of new builds.  It seemed like time to get myself a power supply so I ordered small wart 200 kit from Small Bear.  It was an easy project and now it's something I use everyday.

teddybear

David

Quote from: teddybear on June 28, 2007, 02:02:00 PM
so 1 transformer = 1 output?

No, not at all.  You can have multiple outputs as long as they are wired in parallel.

nordine

Take the output of your transformer (assuming it gives more than 9 V), and put this snippet at the end of it:

(from: http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circuits/Power/9v2a.htm )

you can take out the diode, but not the regulator (7809)

being 2A, with that you can feed lots of pedals (take the power outputs in paralell)

widdly

Wouldn't you need a full-wave rectifier in there?

EDIT: Oh now I see it's for DC to DC. never mind

teddybear

so i see.
from the output vac, i could parallel the output.
thx

petemoore

regulators like that generally need 2v to work with,
  that'd be at least 11v,
  >12vdc,  <35vdc for input would be good.
  power supply?..the Spyder is certainly worth taking a look at.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

teddybear