Repeat Percussion advice

Started by breather-resistor, May 17, 2007, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breather-resistor

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a repeat percussion type tremolo that is a little easier to build than the vox.

I heard about the walco sound go round and the Kay tremolo.  Aynone have any ideas.  I am looking for something with speed and depth control.  I used to have an amp where the tremolo basically rhythmically shut the amp on and off and I am looking for that sound again.

love,

breather-resistor

markm

Quote from: breather-resistor on May 17, 2007, 03:16:27 PM
I am looking for something with speed and depth control.  I used to have an amp where the tremolo basically rhythmically shut the amp on and off and I am looking for that sound again.

This will do that;
Very versatile Trem.  :icon_wink:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/Hearthrob_Tremolo_LAYOUT

breather-resistor

Thanks mark,

anybody have any other suggestions?

cloudscapes

the tremulus lune is quite versatile in terms of sound. fun build!

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=42
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

Threefish

There's a Variable Stuttering Pedal on Geofex that sounds like it will do exactly that.
Go to the main page: http://www.geofex.com/, and go down the main index to 10/24/03 (about two scrolled pages). it's a PDF, so easy to save and refer to.
There's references to it on the forum(type in "variable stuttering") . I'm pretty sure at least one forum regular has built one.
It's one I think I'll have a crack at sometime down the track

Reid.
"Why can't I do it like that?"

markm

Processaurus

For that amusing and unique electric organ-like string of fake notes type of tremolo, it needs an asymetrical triangle wave LFO, almost a sawtooth, to fake a fast attack and a longer decay to the "notes".    I think the Tremulous Bear has an interesting 555 timer based LFO with controls for changing the symmetry of the triangle wave.   The cool thing in addition, about the Vox, though, is that your notes reset the LFO, so its always on when you strike a new note, which seems like a great feature for a trem.   With the 555 LFO on the tremulous bear I bet you could hook up the reset pin to a crude envelope to start the LFO over with each new note you play.  But that's going to have more headscratching than just cloning the Vox.  Doesn't small bear have the special uni-junction transistor for that?

Quote from: Threefish on May 17, 2007, 08:50:20 PM
There's a Variable Stuttering Pedal on Geofex that sounds like it will do exactly that.
Go to the main page: http://www.geofex.com/, and go down the main index to 10/24/03 (about two scrolled pages). it's a PDF, so easy to save and refer to.
My Geo stuttering pedal popped like crazy, I don't know if anyone got past that with it.

breather-resistor

The more I learn the more I think i should just tackle the Vox Repeat Percussion.

Anyone have any advice about the build.  I looked at the schematic and most of it makes sense to me there were a couple strange things.  Is there a layout for it anywhere???

Mark Hammer

Not familiar with "repeat percussion".  Does it keep repeating or is this something more like a one-shot tremolo?  I.E. the "repeats" would not persist until the original note source died out completely, but rather repeat some fixed number of times like a specified number of repeats from an Echoplex or something like that.

markm

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 18, 2007, 12:18:09 PM
Not familiar with "repeat percussion".  Does it keep repeating or is this something more like a one-shot tremolo?  I.E. the "repeats" would not persist until the original note source died out completely, but rather repeat some fixed number of times like a specified number of repeats from an Echoplex or something like that.

My understanding is it's a very choppy Tremolo.

analogguru

Maybe it helps when you have a look at the (only working):

Vox Repeat Percussion schematic

analogguru

Mark Hammer

Helps a lot actually.  Thanks.

Very much like the Schaller tremolo over at Topopiccione in that it has a single bipolar serving as a gain stage, and a second bipolar serving as the functional equivalent of a voltage-controlled resistor to ground on its input.  R3 and Q1 serve as the ground leg of a voltage divider formed with R2,  The difference, of course, is in the nature of the LFO waveform.

markm

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 18, 2007, 02:44:35 PM
Helps a lot actually.  Thanks.
Very much like the Schaller tremolo........

I think I read that somewhere before.

Quote from: markm on May 17, 2007, 03:24:00 PM
Quote from: breather-resistor on May 17, 2007, 03:16:27 PM
I am looking for something with speed and depth control.  I used to have an amp where the tremolo basically rhythmically shut the amp on and off and I am looking for that sound again.

This will do that;
Very versatile Trem.  :icon_wink:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/Hearthrob_Tremolo_LAYOUT

Why is it that people never seem to listen to me?  :icon_lol:

Dan N

Quote from: analogguru on May 18, 2007, 02:31:31 PM
Maybe it helps when you have a look at the (only working):

Vox Repeat Percussion schematic

analogguru

Thanks! I can vouch for this one working!

nightingale

I thoought the Kay Trem was also refereed to as a "repeat percussion" effect?

be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

breather-resistor

umm, maybe this is crazy but what is with the "E"s on the end of some of the resistor values??? in analog guru's circuit???

they are featured on the 470s toward the bottom.

thanks

breather

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: breather-resistor on June 22, 2007, 06:58:32 PM
umm, maybe this is crazy but what is with the "E"s on the end of some of the resistor values??? in analog guru's circuit???

Ignore the E, that's just the closest they could get to an ohm sign. 33E here means 33 ohms, that's all.

Incidentally for a depth control on a chopper style trem, I would be inclined to have the trem circuit always doing total chop, and a wet/dry mix control for the depth.