Preparing for my first build

Started by ((( RiGLEY ))), June 16, 2007, 06:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

((( RiGLEY )))

Hey!

I've just registered. This forum seems to be a very nice place, full of useful tips, tricks and layouts... I'm a hobby guitarist and I hope to learn a lot from you guys/girls! I want to build four effects well... at first hehe :icon_twisted: A Ross compressor, a Red Llama, a BSIABII and a Sansamp GT2. These circuits look very interesting to me. I know these are not the easiest ones, but I think I can build these. To save some money and some space, I want to cram 2 effects in one box. I know it's possible - I have searched the archive, and found some good 2-in-1 stompbox wiring reference. My question is: Will a Ross+Llama fit in a 1590BB and the BSIABII+GT2 fit in a 1590C ? I have mocked up some basic layouts... I don't know but it looks like maybe it will fit in. What do you think?

The green rectangles on the pictures are the approximate sizes of the printed wiring boards. The 1590C looks the same on the picture, it is only higher. I think I will need the extra hight, because i want use rotary switches for the GT2. I haven't bought anything yet - I'm only planning to do it. So, what do you think? Should I take the plunge?

Daniel

foxfire

as someone who considers himself a newb i'd have to say your damn gutsy! i put 2 byoc pedals into a 1790 enclosure and it was tough. sure i had a few extra switches here and there, but my layout of everything was as much based on the room i had to work with as how it looked. also i noticed that you don't have the input/output jacks in your layout? i find that they take up more room than they look like they should. i'm not trying to talk you out of it by any means, but the big issue is the less space you have the less room you have to debug it if something goes wrong. now if your the type that stays calm and can handle the bumps in the road then go for it.

markm

Quote from: ((( RiGLEY ))) on June 16, 2007, 06:12:44 PM
Hey!

I hope to learn a lot from you guys/girls!

Wait a minute, Just Wait ONE Minute.
We have GIRLS Here??  ???
Where?
I wanna see 'em!  :icon_lol:

The Llama/Ross thing outghta work but, I'm unsure about the other two. The Ross is a "bigger" board but the Red Llama can fit just about anywhere.
Welcome aboard and most of all, Enjoy yourself.

foxfire

Quote from: markm on June 16, 2007, 07:12:15 PM
Quote from: ((( RiGLEY ))) on June 16, 2007, 06:12:44 PM
Hey!

I hope to learn a lot from you guys/girls!

Wait a minute, Just Wait ONE Minute.
We have GIRLS Here??  ???
Where?
I wanna see 'em!  :icon_lol:

The Llama/Ross thing outghta work but, I'm unsure about the other two. The Ross is a "bigger" board but the Red Llama can fit just about anywhere.
Welcome aboard and most of all, Enjoy yourself.

hey if you show me collection of rare germaniums i'll be a girl for you!
sorry for being ot and just creepy.

RIGLEY, take a look at this, http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=567. sure it's big, but by the time you account for the space you're saving by not having a second power supply and patch cable your still saving space.

smallbearelec

As others have noted, you are taking on a lot for a first build. Note that you have to allow room for jacks and battery especially. I would strongly suggest making use of paper drilling templates to do your planning. There is information on this topic at GEOFEX, and I offer some examples also in my Projects section. I agree withe the person who suggested a 1790NS for doing a two-in-one; the additional height and width would be very helpful, and maybe necessary.

SD

adding_to_the_noise

I'm a girl, and I frequent this forum alot! I love it here. So far I've built a Distortion +, Tubescreamer, and I'm waiting on the parts for an orange squeezer.

FisTheGoon

For your 1st built trying to built 2 in  1. :o Daring man.But like the saying goes "Where there's a will, there's a way".Good luck.

Anyway there are girls here?  ???
Who are they?    ;D ;)

((( RiGLEY )))

:D

Thanks for all the reply! Specially Rebecca!  ;) :-* :icon_redface:
Yeah, I've realized it would be very hard to stuff all that into those boxes. So now I'm considering a "D" type box (187x118x57mm) - but before you think: Well, he finally made a good decision - I'm planning to build a 3-in-1 into it ;D I'm trying to make these layouts with correct dimensions and sizes. Here is my newest plan:

This would be a distortion-box of a kind with Llama, BSIAB and a GT-2. And maybe later I can build a separate compressor box with Ross, and some others. Is this a better idea? Judging from the picture, I think it's doable. Remember the box is 57mm (2.2in) high. On the sides, around the stomp-switches I think there's enough room for the plugs, and I think I can manage to put in a battery somewhere too.

foxfire

are you going to run these guys, sorry these pedals one at a time?

((( RiGLEY )))

I think most of the time I'll run only one, but I want to wire them together using 3PDT switches to enable parallel operation of multiple units. Who knows? Maybe I can get some cool sounds with combined lower gain settings.

mattpocket

The GT2 has a LOT of offboard wiring/switches, so I would maybe put that in a box on its own...

Also, you might find that one circuit sounds better before another, and putting them in a box will mean you are stuck with whatever order they are in.

Keeping the offboard wiring and jacks and pots etc tidy is the key to fitting it in neatly.

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

markm

Quote from: adding_to_the_noise on June 17, 2007, 12:01:56 AM
I'm a girl, and I frequent this forum alot! I love it here.

Ooops!  :icon_redface:
Sorry.....
Congrats on your builds. A woman with a soldering iron...I LOVE it!!  :)
You're a 10 in my book!!

GREEN FUZ

((( RiGLEY )))

Hehe GreenFuz, you take this "Do-It-Yourself" thing very seriously ;)
"A girl" is an interesting circuit. http://tinyurl.com/2cboan
I should include one in my upcoming project.

GREEN FUZ

oldrocker

Hey Rebecca, were those previous builds and the OS done on perf, vero or PCB?  Just curious.

markm

Quote from: ((( RiGLEY ))) on June 17, 2007, 07:48:47 AM

Uh-Ohhh!  :-X

foxfire

you could add "flipper" switches to flip the order of the pedals, but then your adding more switches.

nordine

Quote from: ((( RiGLEY ))) on June 17, 2007, 07:48:47 AM

man, that's offensive
maybe blowing it out of proportion, but, these are the little details that make 'only men' places

mattpocket

Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket