First Post / First Design

Started by JTPedalworks, April 04, 2021, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTPedalworks

Hi everyone! Just found out about this forum and I'm excited to start checking it out and seeing what everyone else has been working on.

I've decided to share my first design as my first post, it's a MOSFET cascode boost/OD that runs on 9V. It was born of the need for better input to output isolation from a single gain stage, which I think it does quite well (although it has been a decade since I've looked at discrete design, and have no scope at the moment so YMMV). Minimum input level is basically a buffer, and as you increase it until about half gain you get clean accurate boost (except a minor intentional bass cut that can be adjusted with C1) after half it's a crunchy drive that sounds nice on bass and guitar. Try a BJT as the upper transistor as well for a different sound.

Let me know what you think, especially if you decide to build it!

JTPedalworks

Transistors are BS170 or 2N7000s.

iainpunk

just threw it on a breadboard, sounds decent, adding a Ge transistor is where i found some nuggets of magic sauce with my Hohner ST Special, but nothing super special with my other guitars, just-above average overdrive sounds. it does do the in/output separation as described.
i used a BS170 for the lower and a ASY73 for the upper tranny, other Ge's sounded good as well. it seems to not sound that great (harsh and lifeless) with a Si transistor, i tried 2n2222a BC547 BD139 and BC107, and i found them all too bright in this perticular circuit. generally, i prefer Si over Ge, but this is an exception.

cheers, Iain
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

JTPedalworks

Quote from: iainpunk on April 05, 2021, 02:26:09 PM
just threw it on a breadboard, sounds decent, adding a Ge transistor is where i found some nuggets of magic sauce with my Hohner ST Special, but nothing super special with my other guitars, just-above average overdrive sounds. it does do the in/output separation as described.
i used a BS170 for the lower and a ASY73 for the upper tranny, other Ge's sounded good as well. it seems to not sound that great (harsh and lifeless) with a Si transistor, i tried 2n2222a BC547 BD139 and BC107, and i found them all too bright in this perticular circuit. generally, i prefer Si over Ge, but this is an exception.

cheers, Iain

That's awesome, thanks for checking it out and for the feedback!