Pedal Enclosures

Started by Snyder, June 24, 2007, 01:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snyder

Yeah I know everyone uses hammonds, but are there any real alternatives? maybe ones that look a little cooler? not that I really care how my pedals look, just when you have a hammond enclosed booster next to a boss MetalCore.... well, you know what i mean. Anyways, i love the enclosures boss uses, plus they're rock solid. Anybody have any other enclosures?

markm

Quote from: Snyder on June 24, 2007, 01:42:46 PM
just when you have a hammond enclosed booster next to a boss MetalCore.... well, you know what i mean.

Yeah, I'd wanna rehouse that Boss pedal too!  ;D
I think there's a Gent on the For-Sale page that has been selling his own enclosures however, I can't for the life of me remember who it is.
What I do remember is PM'ing him several times about wanting to purchase some and not getting a response.
I think Mouser has some different enclosures to offer however, durability may become and issue.
One thing positive about the Hammonds and Taiwan made copies, you could drive a truck with 10 head of cattle in it (or Rosie Odonnell!) right over the top of one and it'd still be good to go!

Barcode80

RACO RACO RACO!

electrical junction boxes:

jpm83

I have had last couple made in local sheet metal shop, Where they make air ventilation stuff and everything what can be made from sheet metal. They were same kind of boxes that RAT uses and they cost 15 euros for 3 boxes. And best thing is that you can have them made whatever size you want.

Janne

demonstar

"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

fixr1984

Plinky

Quote from: markm on June 24, 2007, 01:57:38 PM
One thing positive about the Hammonds and Taiwan made copies, you could drive a truck with 10 head of cattle in it (or Rosie Odonnell!) right over the top of one and it'd still be good to go!

Wow. I didn't think anything (or anyone for that matter) could stand Rosie O donnel.  ;)

mojotron

markm

Shakal

Can of Sardine:

This guy sells a lot of them on Mercado Livre (Brazilian Ebay)

http://lista.mercadolivre.com.br/pedal-sardinha

Open your food store-closet and feel some inspiration. hehehe  :icon_biggrin:

Regards

petemoore

For like 20 bux I copped a miter saw, and 4' lengths of 1/4'' thick, 4'' wide [also 2'' wide] wide oak planks.
 About an hour later I had the double wide box made,  I used 2 x 4'' side to side to form the top, and the 2'' high ones to make the sides...the fit was carefully made so that rubber bands around the sides held everything assembled, glued, flush and contacting, then I carefully straightened and flattened the two top pieces by pinning them on a flat board [this holds the two top pieces flat when you press on them], then I straightened the sides.
 then I used some metal to form to most of the inside, when done I had sore hands and about 3/4's of the box shielded, ground planes in critical areas [the jacks and pots didn't go through the metal], sides top and back shielded [and the bottom plate connects to shielding because the side panels are ~1/64th inches past the bottom boards.
 1'' flat bottom drilling was necessary to reduce wood depth around the pots and jacks so tobe able to catch threads with the nuts...this is nice because the jacks are then about flush...or can be done from the inside of the side panels...before box assembly.
 Starting with a large RACO lid as template, then making the box to fit above from wood, shielding the inside so the lid [bottom plate] connects..
 ....sanding/finishing...

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

soulsonic

I've used RACO boxes several times, but the steel is tough to work on. I like how Mojo got around the whole issue of having to deal with the knockouts - just use the baseplate as the main mounting plate! Brilliant idea, though it does kinda take away from the "classic" RACO look, but it certainly beats the hell out of having to put JB Weld all over the inside of the box to keep the knockouts in place. I'll have to give it a try. I've used the Hammonds too, but I have trouble finding a size I like - it's hard to get one that's big enough without being too big. The thing is, I don't like using miniature pots, so space starts getting tight inside a 1590B, or even a BB if there's alot of controls.

If you're really crazy about wanting to try a different box design, you can always cast your own. Check this place out! http://www.lindsaybks.com/ The have all sorts of books about how to build your own whatever.... including stuff about doing cast aluminum. Hell, you could build your own machine shop with the stuff they have in these books. A DIY dream come true!
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

Barcode80

all you have to do with the punch outs is get a pair of vise grips. or clam them down on the edge of the knockout while drilling. that's how i drill mine, and everything has been great!

soulsonic

Quote from: Barcode80 on June 24, 2007, 07:03:27 PM
all you have to do with the punch outs is get a pair of vise grips. or clam them down on the edge of the knockout while drilling. that's how i drill mine, and everything has been great!

Yeah, that works great for drilling, but they still always seem to want to fall apart after a few months of use/abuse... especially if any jacks are mounted through them. That's why JB Weld or epoxy is pretty much a crucial step for me to be able to use them. Even after using the JB Weld, I've still had knockouts start coming out, so it really looks like Mojo's solution is probably the best way to go durability-wise. Seriously, I'm VERY hard on my pedals, and sometimes I have to get really anal about construction just to keep them from falling apart. I built a boost a couple months ago, and no kidding, it lasted ONE show before one of the switches was destroyed. Crushed to bits.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

bent

Quote from: Shakal on June 24, 2007, 05:56:25 PM
Can of Sardine:

I hope the odor doesn't come with it..... :icon_wink:

bent
Long live the music.....

royzic

i buy these slanted steel bent enclosures for $10 . pre drilled and painted in black primer,with screws and rubber feet.
they come in all kinds of variations for different knob numbers,jacks are on the top like the EH enclosures.

newbie builder

Link? Those sound like a great deal.
//

royzic

QuoteLink? Those sound like a great deal.

no website yet,,
i can send some to whoever is interested to pay for the shipment

PM me

Roy