Brownface Vibrato in the Gallery

Started by markm, June 25, 2007, 07:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulysses

Quote from: R.G. on July 03, 2007, 10:44:43 PM
My pleasure. How's it sound?

it sounds really nice. thanks for designing it :) thx to mark aswell! :)

before i box it up i am going to add in a trem/vibrato switch which disables Q2. i will prob also add an lfo led which hangs off Q6 somewhere :) i have to do some experimenting first :) trial and error rather than learnt theory :) haha.

cheers
ulysses

edit: typo

R.G.

Quotebefore i box it up i am going to add in a trem/vibrato switch which disables Q2.

Remember that you also need to remove the frequency separating networks to keep from just getting bass trem or treble trem.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

markm

Ben came up with a couple of mods that sound like what you may be looking for.
See here;
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=58490.msg455972#msg455972
This may be just what you're looking for Ulysses.
I'm glad you got this sorted out, I LOVE this circuit!  8)

ulysses

Quote from: R.G. on July 04, 2007, 09:46:44 AM
Remember that you also need to remove the frequency separating networks to keep from just getting bass trem or treble trem.

haha. yeah i just figured that out.. :)

cheers
ulysses

snoof

i'm getting the same vol drop issue that you had.  i'll try your fix and see if it helps me.  f#$%'in great sounding vib/trem!!!!!!!

bluesdevil

Oh hell, this dream build is giving me nightmares!! I built this a week ago and still can't get the LFO to kick in. The only subs I made were .0047uf for C5 and 2n5089's for Q7 through Q9. Tried the usual continuity tests and even resoldered everything with no luck. I'm getting a straight sound with no vibe/trem. knobs are not doing anything. Any suggestions on what parts of the circuit I should start replacing parts in?
    Also I rigged a dual 100k pot with parallel resistors to get the 50k dual, but tested fine with the DMM. Maybe I should just order up a legit 50k dual just in case. A real tasty project, it's a damned shame my luck just isn't with me on this one.  :icon_sad:
"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Thepilot

Got mine finished working last night.

It sounds awesome, I am getting the volume drop as well with matched 5952 pairs.  I will try the fixes for the volume drop this evening.

R.G. and Mark, thanks so much for all your work on this, it is an awesome pedal!

bdevlin

What is the Depth like on this?  The original EA has a weak Depth.  Is this closer to the EA in  max Depth or a hard chop?

snoof

in my opinion, it gets plenty deep.  if you can get past the vol issues, it's a great sound!  I just finished mine up last night, had to tack on a Stratoblaster to the end of it to make up the lost volume.  Sounds freakin' sweet!!  It doesn't do the hard chop thang, it's pretty smooth.

markm

Quote from: bdevlin on August 20, 2007, 01:25:07 PM
What is the Depth like on this?  The original EA has a weak Depth.  Is this closer to the EA in  max Depth or a hard chop?

It will get fairly choppy but, is really intended to be smoooothhhh.

Quote from: Thepilot on August 20, 2007, 12:25:06 PM

It sounds awesome, I am getting the volume drop as well with matched 5952 pairs.  I will try the fixes for the volume drop this evening.

R.G. and Mark, thanks so much for all your work on this, it is an awesome pedal!

Better late than never I guess...... :-\
I have a board and new layout to take care of the volume loss issue by adding a gain stage at the output however, I have not had the oppurtunity to verify it yet.
I will be doing so, with any luck this week and post the results.
If it helps any of you, I could also make a daughter board layout to add to the existing circuit......just let me know.  :icon_wink:

snoof

by the way Mark, where did you get your dual pot??  I got one from Mouser, but it's a dual 24mm, and it's too freakin huge to use in a box :icon_mad:.  I couldn't find a 16mm dual anywhere...

and yes, good work fellas (Mark, R.G.)on this one...

markm

Quote from: snoof on August 20, 2007, 04:58:11 PM
by the way Mark, where did you get your dual pot??  I got one from Mouser, but it's a dual 24mm, and it's too freakin huge to use in a box :icon_mad:.  I couldn't find a 16mm dual anywhere...

Mine's 24mm also from smallbear.
I feel your pain however, I had Mick Farlow made a real nice larger enclosure for me that has to be one of the nicest I have ever seen!
Very well made and plenty of room for the board and full size pots.
This is yet ANOTHER project that I have yet to finish but, it'll get there soon.
Give Mick a PM......It's really worth it my friend!  :)

mutagenic

Quote from: markm on August 20, 2007, 04:32:25 PM
Quote from: bdevlin on August 20, 2007, 01:25:07 PM

It will get fairly choppy but, is really intended to be smoooothhhh.

Quote from: Thepilot on August 20, 2007, 12:25:06 PM

Better late than never I guess...... :-\
I have a board and new layout to take care of the volume loss issue by adding a gain stage at the output however, I have not had the oppurtunity to verify it yet.
I will be doing so, with any luck this week and post the results.
If it helps any of you, I could also make a daughter board layout to add to the existing circuit......just let me know.  :icon_wink:

Hi Mark,
I'd be very interested in a daughter board for this layout.  I've got a board partially popluated now.  By the way, I played through an early 60's brownface deluxe the other day with the Fender "harmonic vibrato".  The sound was very, very close to Ulysses's sound samples of your Vibra-Tone, if not dead-on.  Thanks very much to you and RG Keen for working on this.  I've been searching for this sound for a long time.

markm

Thank you Sir,
Let me see what I can come up with.

snoof

Quote from: markm on August 20, 2007, 05:13:35 PM
Quote from: snoof on August 20, 2007, 04:58:11 PM

Mine's 24mm also from smallbear.
I feel your pain however, I had Mick Farlow made a real nice larger enclosure for me that has to be one of the nicest I have ever seen!
Very well made and plenty of room for the board and full size pots.
This is yet ANOTHER project that I have yet to finish but, it'll get there soon.
Give Mick a PM......It's really worth it my friend!  :)

cool, I'll just grab a bigger enclosure down the road ;)