Maestro PS-1 Phase Shifter - anyone tried to clone one?

Started by polaris26, June 26, 2007, 12:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaycee

Quote from: box on May 11, 2021, 12:24:37 PM
Quote from: kaycee on May 11, 2021, 11:31:49 AM
Pictures please  :icon_smile:

I would dearly like to build one of these, I really would. There are a couple of people making clones of it, but no one selling a PCB. I tried a vero, but couldn't get it to work properly after much time and effort.
Hi,
I am sending materials that may be helpful.

Box, excellent work there, a proper reproduction of the board too, very well done, Sir. Thanks very much for the pictures, particularly the power supply, I think thats where I went wrong before. I don't etch, but someone did me a board many years ago that I might have kept after I couldn't get it going (although, I don't recall having seen it for a long time...). If I can't find it, anyone fancy etching one for me? I'm in the UK.

orangetones

Question for you folks on this one.  Would a TC1044 or Maxx1044 chip be fine to provide +/-12 from a 9V supply?  I have a friend that is interested in this pedal, but that power supply is not cheap.

box

Quote from: orangetones on June 13, 2021, 09:59:35 AM
Question for you folks on this one.  Would a TC1044 or Maxx1044 chip be fine to provide +/-12 from a 9V supply?  I have a friend that is interested in this pedal, but that power supply is not cheap.
Hi,
their output current is insufficient to supply power this circuit.My recommendation:
https://canada.newark.com/tracopower/tmr-1222/isolated-board-mount-dc-dc-converter/dp/13M3240?ost=tmr1222
Regards,
box

orangetones

Thanks for the link.  Looks good.  I'm assuming the 2n5485 need to be matched for this? 

orangetones

Also, looking at that Traco you just looked, it seems to accept 9v input.  Is there the need for the 7805 in this case? 

orangetones

Last question for now...  I have 8x 2n5485.  Abs 10x 2n5484.  Would the 5484 work in this circuit?    I also have some 2n5457 as well.

box

Quote from: orangetones on June 13, 2021, 01:51:23 PM
Last question for now...  I have 8x 2n5485.  Abs 10x 2n5484.  Would the 5484 work in this circuit?    I also have some 2n5457 as well.
so these transistors are suitable(2N5485 ).For DC/DC power supply regulator 5V (7805) not required , this model is input voltage 9-18V.

orangetones

Found a source at Digi key for that power converter. 20 bucks. 

The 2n5485.  An I correct that they need to be matched?  How closely?

box

Quote from: orangetones on June 13, 2021, 09:40:35 PM
Found a source at Digi key for that power converter. 20 bucks. 

The 2n5485.  An I correct that they need to be matched?  How closely?
Matching to 5% or 10% of the reading is probably good enough.
http://www.geofex.com/
4/16/02 and 10/24/01
Fetmatch for matching .

orangetones

Box,

Looking at the schematic, it seem like the 4.7uF cap should have the positive leg towards ground.  I notice yours is the other way.  The picture of the layout you posted seems to also have the FETs and one transistor reversed.  This one seems to be the correct layout/orientation.

https://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/jdub/MaestroPS-1Alayout_zpsaeda6660.png.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Wondering if you ever had ticking or noise issues with yours?

Did you do any modifications?  I know some talk about a different input buffer in other threads.

box

Quote from: orangetones on June 26, 2021, 10:36:44 AM
Box,

Looking at the schematic, it seem like the 4.7uF cap should have the positive leg towards ground.  I notice yours is the other way.  The picture of the layout you posted seems to also have the FETs and one transistor reversed.  This one seems to be the correct layout/orientation.

https://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/jdub/MaestroPS-1Alayout_zpsaeda6660.png.html?g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Wondering if you ever had ticking or noise issues with yours?

Did you do any modifications?  I know some talk about a different input buffer in other threads.
Yes you are correct regarding polarity of 4u7 but I left as it is on the components side board.All my FET transistor are J113 and PNP is BC560.
No ticking and noise issue. I did not make any modifications.

orangetones

Quote from: box on June 26, 2021, 11:43:06 AM

Yes you are correct regarding polarity of 4u7 but I left as it is on the components side board.

So you left it facing the wrong way? 

All my FET transistor are J113 and PNP is BC560.

How closely did you match those J113?  I have some 2n5485 that are pretty close for this, and will try those first.  I am guessing you used the J113 for the MPF102 as well?  I'll socket things so I can mess around if need be.  Likely try the 2n5087 first.

I did manage to get that TRACO TMR1222.

https://www.tracopower.com/sites/default/files/products/datasheets/tmr2_datasheet.pdf

Guessing I don't need to mess around much with this, basically, 9V+ and GND into it on pins 2 and 1 and then pins 6, 7 and 8 out for  +12V, GND, -12V.

Should I implement some kind of power filtering there?  What would you do with that power supply?

box

Quote from: orangetones on June 26, 2021, 05:05:00 PM

Yes you are correct regarding polarity of 4u7 but I left as it is on the components side board.

So you left it facing the wrong way? 
4u7 I'll check later

All my FET transistor are J113 and PNP is BC560.

How closely did you match those J113?  I have some 2n5485 that are pretty close for this, and will try those first.  I am guessing you used the J113 for the MPF102 as well?  I'll socket things so I can mess around if need be.  Likely try the 2n5087 first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Br3L1B80ow
Nice tool recommended for matching and for testing components.

I did manage to get that TRACO TMR1222.

https://www.tracopower.com/sites/default/files/products/datasheets/tmr2_datasheet.pdf

Guessing I don't need to mess around much with this, basically, 9V+ and GND into it on pins 2 and 1 and then pins 6, 7 and 8 out for  +12V, GND, -12V.

Should I implement some kind of power filtering there?  What would you do with that power supply?

Schematic attached.

orangetones

Thanks very much for the clarity.  One more question.  I get that the ground connection should not be connected to the 0V.  The main board only has one connection for ground.  That would be the 0v connection, right.  So for the 9v power in, world that ground be connected to anything other than the Jack and the filter cap?  Would my input and output jacks be grounded there then?  What about wiring for the indicator LEDs?

Thanks again for the help.

orangetones

Actually, looking at your posted pics, it seems the jacks are grounded to the board.  It seems you added a pass to ground then with that grey wire.

Wondering about LED indicators.

box

Quote from: orangetones on June 29, 2021, 09:04:09 AM
Actually, looking at your posted pics, it seems the jacks are grounded to the board.  It seems you added a pass to ground then with that grey wire.

Wondering about LED indicators.
If you are looking on the left side of the board-3 wires my power supply( is on the separated board) is connected only from isolated ( Orange+12V,Green 0V , Brown-12V). Do not connect GND from power supply from the socket power   ---only +9V and GND).
For LED indicators use DPDT switch and one section connect to +9V input power and GND , not from isolated power!!!!
On the my board input signal and output is grounded from 0V Grey( isolated ground).

orangetones

About the LEDs.  Is each speed engaged when the switch is closed or open?  Something I saw from another person leads me to believe that when the spst is open for each speed, it is engaged.

box

Quote from: orangetones on July 02, 2021, 05:52:48 PM
About the LEDs.  Is each speed engaged when the switch is closed or open?  Something I saw from another person leads me to believe that when the spst is open for each speed, it is engaged.
All switches are active in the closed position. OFF/slow phase---open  ---signal bypass, close---active.
                                                                  Medium phase---close-----active.
                                                                  Fast phase     ----close----active.
Dpdt switch  , one section for changing phases, second one for LEDs.

orangetones

Sorry for the late response here.  Thanks for that clarification.  I will check with the other person as to why they had things wired that way.  Maybe something else going on that I didn't notice.

orangetones

Here is how another member suggested wiring the LEDs.  Can you make sense of this?  It would seem to me that the LEDs would be on when the phase switches would be open? 

Also, this member had an input and output buffer.