[DOUBT] About some standards I read.

Started by QSQCaito, June 27, 2007, 11:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QSQCaito

Well, the other day I was changing the battery of the car, as my dad told me. And he told me strictly, (grr, hate my memory failures :P I hope it was this way, and not vice-versa) the negative is ALWAYS the last to come out, and the first one to be connected.
He told me some electronics things could be broken, or somewhat "de-configured". With all electronics applied in cars it seems possible.

But, why does this happens?? Is it appliable to stompboxes?

Last questions, when switching on/off power. We should cut the supply of positive, or negative?

Thanks a lot.

Bye bye!

DAC
D.A.C

Sir H C

For jumping, I thought it was the last on, first off.  Since the ground is the chassis of the car, you don't want to have a short if you touch the + cable to the car while connecting it.  Once that one is safely on, then you put the ground somewhere far from the battery.  As to the other, usually disconnect the positive (unless it is a positive ground system like PNP fuzz faces).

petemoore

The properly charged battery you're jumping 'from' is where the circuit lifting/breaking connection is done safest.
  A dead battery recieving a 'Jump' can produce explosive gasses, this is where you *don't want any kind of flame or spark.
  Generally, the charged, good battery isn't changing its charge state much, and probably has a voltage regulator which prevents overcharging etc., so won't be the battery which is producing combustible gas...ie as long as it's in a charged state and the charging system is working right.
  As far as +/-, IIRc either pole, used to trip the 'switch' which completes the circuit [ie when you touch the last of the 4 cable connectors] causes enough spark to ignite any atomized fuel, ie, the teeniest spark.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

QSQCaito

Thanks guys. BTW, what's up with running 9v power through shielded wire. Would this create any problem?
Because I believe it saves space and it would be much more tidier. Shielded wire for inputs, outputs, and power supply. And 3 wires like"turned" and into a shrink tube for pots.

What do you think?

Thaks a lot

Bye bye

DAC
D.A.C