Laserprinter photopaper method on painted enclosure

Started by ~arph, June 28, 2007, 12:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~arph

Hi,

I wonder if it is actually possible to transfer a laserprinter image on photopaper onto an allready painted enclosure. Did someone try this?
I used it on non painted enclosures successfully, but I wonder if putting the iron on a painted enclosure will ruin the paintjob.

Thnx

soulsonic

I would worry most about the paper sticking to the paint and wanting to pull it off after ironing - but maybe it would work okay if you used Press n' Peel film?
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

~arph

I guess I'll just have to try it.. I'll post my results when I get to doing it.

remmelt

I would think that the iron only further dries the paint, which would be a good thing? Can't you bake painted enclosures in a little toaster oven for more durability?

~arph

Yes, but I suppose that the type of paint is crucial here. I think I should use enamel paint (I don't know where to get it btw here) that can be baked. As far as normal paint goes I know that for stripping paint of window sils eg. you use a heatgun to loosen it up/make it bubble so any paint that does that under heat is useless. Maybe paint for cars can be used too.. I'll have to investigate.

John Lyons

Some thoughts:

Baking paint on an inclosure will not increase the durability. It only speeds drying time by releasing the solvents faster...

Using photopaper will most likely not work because the paper will stick to the paint in between the letters/graphic etc.
Press and peel will most likely do the same I would think.

With any toner transfer method you will get the paper or Press and peel blue film stuck on the toner. So you will never get black lettering...

Just what I think at least...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

~arph

Well, it's nearly black as soon as you put clearcoat over it:

demonstar

I use waterslide decals (the thing that you put on the kit airfix models.) I print my own on an ink jet printer but you can get paper for laser printers and photocopiers too. Infact it's meant to be better for them as they print white. With the inkjet and you want white you must either use white decal paper or use the clear paper over the white. I've never used the white, just the clear. It's really good stuff I think it sounds way easier than what your using. You just print the decals, then varnish, then dip them in water and slide them to where you want them, let it dry. If you don't like them where they are just wet it and move it. Then, when your happy varnish over it to make it permanent. Done. I get it at the local modelling shop. I think small bear stock it.

I've used it on painted plastic and raw metal.
Infact I've just used it about 30 seconds ago.
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

MetalGod

Quote from: demonstar on June 29, 2007, 12:06:07 PM
I use waterslide decals (the thing that you put on the kit airfix models.) I print my own on an ink jet printer but you can get paper for laser printers and photocopiers too. Infact it's meant to be better for them as they print white. With the inkjet and you want white you must either use white decal paper or use the clear paper over the white. I've never used the white, just the clear. It's really good stuff I think it sounds way easier than what your using. You just print the decals, then varnish, then dip them in water and slide them to where you want them, let it dry. If you don't like them where they are just wet it and move it. Then, when your happy varnish over it to make it permanent. Done. I get it at the local modelling shop. I think small bear stock it.

I've seen the decal paper from Inkjets but not for laser printers - any idea where to get the laser printer stuff (in the UK hopefully) ????

8)

demonstar

Just try local craft stores etc. Thats what I do.

This store has it (Never bought off them)...

"http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/laser%20decals.htm"

I think the laser stuff looks even better because you just print it and don't even have to varnish. You just let it dry then put it straight on.
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

MetalGod

Quote from: demonstar on June 30, 2007, 03:20:03 AM
Just try local craft stores etc. Thats what I do.

This store has it (Never bought off them)...

"http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/laser%20decals.htm"

I think the laser stuff looks even better because you just print it and don't even have to varnish. You just let it dry then put it straight on.

Thanks for that, gotta try this out - etching graphics is such a pita.

8)

widdly

Hey arph, what enclosure did you use for that? 

Barcode80

Quote from: MetalGod on June 29, 2007, 01:20:42 PM
Quote from: demonstar on June 29, 2007, 12:06:07 PM

I've seen the decal paper from Inkjets but not for laser printers - any idea where to get the laser printer stuff (in the UK hopefully) ????

8)
you guys really need to start searching smallbear :)

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=56

HOTGUIT

decal paper for laser printers avilable at: BANZAI MUSICAL PRODUCTS
bye

~arph

The enclosure is a Hammond D.
Plus I know about waterslides and that smallbear has them, but I was specifically inquiring about the photo paper iron-on toner method, since it's a lot cheaper and I have all the stuff for it.