Great words from a book....

Started by aron, June 30, 2007, 02:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

Here are some great words from Kevin O'Connor - they really speak to me and the spirit of DIY:

from TUT5 preface:

http://londonpower.com/books/tut5.htm

"In the coincidence of two hobbies - playing an instrument and wielding a soldering iron - we can double our fun. We can expand our musical dexterity while learning new electronic tricks to make new sounds We remember the joy of discovering how to play out first chord, or sound a note cleanly, and we try to capture that feeling. Similarly, there was the sense of wonder in learning how some of the black magic of electronics works, and the specific voodoo of guitar amps became less mysterious.

There will always be people who think something they know is special and "just for them". They will try to cloister their knowledge and obfuscate the truth, perpetuating myths that make it harder for the more communal-minded persons to move forward in their own paths."

Whenever we can, we try to clear the path for others, as others have done for us. Through these writings, we hope to imbue a spirit of community amongst those within our hobby and industry. We can discover new methods together, to achieve our individual sounds, and to share and enlighten the world. We can all make a living while doing so, provided there is value in what we offer. Fortunately, like-minded people are in the majority.

soulsonic

The part about certain people "perpetuating myths" to confuse others is totally right on. There's so many groundless myths when it comes to music electronics; it really sets alot of beginners on an incorrect path. I wish it wasn't like that.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

aron

Yeah.

BTW: Kevin took a look at the forum and liked it! :-)

The Tone God

That is very heartwarming piece.

The problem is playing the "myth" game is it is a two edge sword. Musicians are funny in the way that will disregard rational thought for the promise of tone. How many ads tout the greatness of a particular product that will make up for what you lack in skill ? Why not take a look at old Univibe prices ? On the other side it peeks a certain class of people's curiosity to find out what is this myth. In the end it can ruin someone if it is found out that all their hype was for a simple product.

One should be careful when playing that game.

Andrew

soulsonic

So far Monster Cable is still doing business..... In their early years, they had this criminally misleading display in hi-fi shops where you could compare the sound of their speaker wire to that of "normal" cables. If you looked behind the display, you'd see about a foot of Monster cable going neatly from the selector to the output, and at least 100 feet of cheap 24 gauge crap in a jumbled mess going on the other end to represent a "normal" speaker cable. Those guys pile lies upon lies about their products, and any savvy consumer knows they're full of BS, but they keep selling tons of cable nonetheless. And people can still sell $200 single transistor boost pedals, so I guess there's enough suckers out there that it doesn't really matter - there's one born every minute.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: The Tone God on June 30, 2007, 04:40:02 PMMusicians are funny in the way that will disregard rational thought for the promise of tone.
The mind is a funny thing, ain't it?
I feel it's disturbing how musicians will disregard their ears and allow themselves to believe hype over hearing.
Quote from: soulsonic on June 30, 2007, 04:51:22 PM
... so I guess there's enough suckers out there that it doesn't really matter - there's one born every minute.
Old P.T. really had that one figured out, eh? If he were alive today he'd probably be a Boo-teeker... Selling on ebay... :icon_lol:

osa
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Pushtone

Quote from: soulsonic on June 30, 2007, 04:51:22 PM
So far Monster Cable is still doing business..... In their early years, they had this criminally misleading display in hi-fi shops where you could compare the sound of their speaker wire to that of "normal" cables. If you looked behind the display, you'd see about a foot of Monster cable going neatly from the selector to the output, and at least 100 feet of cheap 24 gauge crap in a jumbled mess going on the other end to represent a "normal" speaker cable. Those guys pile lies upon lies about their products, and any savvy consumer knows they're full of BS, but they keep selling tons of cable nonetheless. And people can still sell $200 single transistor boost pedals, so I guess there's enough suckers out there that it doesn't really matter - there's one born every minute.

I think you nailed that example Soulsonic.

Monstercable is one of the worst offenders in my opinion. Total crap selling at high prices.
The phrase "you get what you pay for" does not apply to their product. You just get taken.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

MikeH

The first monster cable I bought, I'd say was a good deal.  That was when they just replaced them with no questions asked.  I replaced that cable 5 times.  So really, each one cost me 10 bucks.  Last time I exchanged it, they tried to give the crappy budget version without removable ends.  I was like "Hell no".  I got them to give me the good cable, but it was shortly thereafter that they stopped replacing them.  Now I wouldn't buy one, it's not worth it anymore.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Paul Marossy

QuoteThere will always be people who think something they know is special and "just for them". They will try to cloister their knowledge and obfuscate the truth, perpetuating myths that make it harder for the more communal-minded persons to move forward in their own paths."

The music world in general is still so steeped in myths and misinformation that it just boggles the mind. Fortunately, I think more of the truth is getting out there these days.

The Monster Cable discussion is a great example of that. And another one is this "oxygen free copper" malarky. A great excuse to charge people three times as much for a cable. :icon_rolleyes:

goosonique

Nice sharing that here aron ....i feel all warm and fuzzy ....and dizzy from solder smoke too :icon_confused:

<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

Johan

Quote from: Paul Marossy on July 02, 2007, 02:18:47 PM
"oxygen free copper"

..I'd sure hope so...If it contains oxygene, it is corroded....I dont want corroded green cables... :icon_evil:... ;D
j
DON'T PANIC