Russian Big Muff Mod Questions

Started by Timebutt, July 02, 2007, 10:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timebutt

Hello,
I'm new into building effect pedals so I figured I'd start out with some fairly easy mods such as adding true bypass and a 9v adaptor connection to my Russian Big Muff (+ while I'm at it, changing the 'boring' LED with a superbright green LED to make things interesting :D)

While doing this, I ran into some problems however, first some pictures to make things clear:

The first image is how I wired things up for true bypass, notice that the arrow shows how I orientated the switch according to the scheme in the third picture. (the switch is sideways if you compare it to the scheme). Is this wiring correct and will it indeed make it true bypass?

Then the other, more important thing (I can't test my pedal without doing this first): the adaptor mod. I had a 9v chassis part lying around so I decided to use that part, but I couldn't find any indications to what the lugs were, I just numbered them randomly in the example to make clear what lug I am talking about.
The wiring for the adaptor part confuses me: I didn't find much on the internet and what I found didn't correspond to the piece I am using, could somebody explain me how I should properly wire it so that I can then just snap the chassis part with a battery snap attached to the original battery snap?

What about isolating the power input, is it required? If so: what's the best way to get it done?

Then one other thing: when wiring the switch up for true bypass, I had to desolder the existing wires, but all of a sudden I found that I actually had one wire extra that is not present in the scheme I used! (it's indicated with a circle in the first picture) Apparently it leads to the tone/sustain knob and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with that now?

All help is greatly appreciated, I'm confused about the wiring etc.

Thank you,
Timebutt
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

km-r

i really never memorized lugs in any jacks... i used my VOM and plug an extra PLUG to the jack and use the VOM to check which lug goes to THIS lug of the PLUG...

as for the bypass switch i think the pic is tad crowdy i cant see around.
oh yeah, i never used a 3pdt switch so i dont know the pinout of the switch...

and, my thats a wide board you used....
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

bumblebee

These new muffs are already true bypass,so what is it that your doing?   :icon_eek:

Here,its a messy diagram but it works

edit:nevermind.

goosonique

'Russian Big Muff for noobs ' ^   :icon_lol:

I seem to prefer the triangle knob spec than other mods .... that Led mod  :-X way too hard for an already high gain design.

<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

Timebutt

Quote from: Pumpkin on July 02, 2007, 11:13:31 PM
These new muffs are already true bypass,so what is it that your doing?   :icon_eek:

Hmm, something got me asking why there already was a 3DPT switch present ...
Are you sure the new ones are true-bypass when they leave the factory? If that is so, what have I been doing :P

Well, I wanted to install a fancy LED anyway so I had to rewire it already for that.
Guess I'd better rewire it the way it was :P
Completed Projects: Gus Smalley Booster, Modded Russian Big Muff, Orange Squeezer, BYOC Vibrato, Phase 90

bumblebee

Quote from: Timebutt on July 03, 2007, 10:30:47 AM
Are you sure the new ones are true-bypass when they leave the factory? If that is so, what have I been doing :P

Thats what i was thinkin! :icon_lol:

Don't matter,thats how ya learn..........by makin mistakes.

Check out the wiki at the top of the site.

Timebutt

After your comment I started checking how I wired it, and in fact I rewired the already true-bypass circuit into a different wiring for true bypass :)
Well, it was a good thing: now I fully understand how a 3DPT switch works (orientation, switching, ...) so indeed, I learn from my mistakes ;)

I'll try to get the 9v adaptor thing working now, if that's done some more exotic mods are coming (adding a mid control by adding a new potentiometer to the pedal) + replacing some of the cheap resistors with high quality metal film ones: I heard it makes a big difference tonewise so why not? :)