Boss DS-1 Mods

Started by pkvine, February 22, 2011, 02:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

Quote from: Groovenut on April 01, 2012, 12:54:01 AM
Hey Soup thanks for checking out my videos and the kind comments.

I found that reducing the bass content through Q2 also eliminated alot of the fuzz in this circuit without having to change the bias of Q2. The fuzzy buzzy quality of the DS-1 was always what annoyed me about the pedal, that and the fact that it had too much unusable distortion and low output. So those were my change goals at the outset. I changed C3 and C5 which eliminated the fuzz/buzz issue. I chose not to change C2 because I did not want to alter the bypass tone. Next was to change the output level and clipping character. For this I changed the diode forward voltage allowing for a higher clipping threshold. This also meant having to increase the gain of the opamp to get some of the clipping back. I changed C10 to round off more of the clipping buzzies. Next to help the output I changed R17. This was a two-fer for me as I wanted to get rid of the mid scoop as well as gain output. Ofter the mod, this pedal has unity gain with the distortion control at zero and the volume control at noon. As such it can be used as a semi clean boost as well. That's my personal rundown anyway.

Do you have any clips of your mod? I would really like to hear them.
Not yet.Hopefully this week I'll have some clips up. :icon_biggrin: What did you change C3,C5,and C10 too?I wanted to get rid of more of the fuzz as well.

Groovenut

There is a link in my original post that is a zip file of all the goodies.
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

soupbone

Quote from: Groovenut on April 01, 2012, 12:19:01 PM
There is a link in my original post that is a zip file of all the goodies.
Sweet!

Groovenut

Those values work very well with humbuckers. For single coils you would probably want to change C3 to 18n and C5 to 27n - 33n to help with the thinning the single coils will bring.
You've got to love obsolete technology.....

Renegadrian

Modded some boss pedals in the pas months, exp. DS-1 and SD-1
as for the DS-1, the ultra/sem is not my fav, still good, but...
The jhs synth drive has two faces of the same medal to consider...you have the crazy synth sound that kill, if you're in a post modern alternative etc. band. also you have the stock sound modified, it has less harsh and screeching highs and a tamed gain...it sounds very good.

last one I made was a mix of wampler classic jcm mod (not all, but in a minute...) and brett miller phlat mod, a switch to change c11 and c12 (two caps in the tone section)

of this last pedal, I really love the switch, it really puts out a good sound...I figured I left R17 vacant, wampler wrote in his premierguitar article to change it from 6.8k to 15k. others suggest 22k or 33k.
I just left the holes empty...it seems it has more "air" when the tone knob is at its max (it affects only the higher tone settings...)

what do you think about the r17 mod?! Someone changed it or took it off just like I did!?
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

soupbone

Quote from: Renegadrian on June 09, 2014, 04:22:02 PM
Modded some boss pedals in the pas months, exp. DS-1 and SD-1
as for the DS-1, the ultra/sem is not my fav, still good, but...
The jhs synth drive has two faces of the same medal to consider...you have the crazy synth sound that kill, if you're in a post modern alternative etc. band. also you have the stock sound modified, it has less harsh and screeching highs and a tamed gain...it sounds very good.

last one I made was a mix of wampler classic jcm mod (not all, but in a minute...) and brett miller phlat mod, a switch to change c11 and c12 (two caps in the tone section)

of this last pedal, I really love the switch, it really puts out a good sound...I figured I left R17 vacant, wampler wrote in his premierguitar article to change it from 6.8k to 15k. others suggest 22k or 33k.
I just left the holes empty...it seems it has more "air" when the tone knob is at its max (it affects only the higher tone settings...)

what do you think about the r17 mod?! Someone changed it or took it off just like I did!?
Sounds like a cool mod Adriano!I'll check it out!  :icon_cool: Might try putting it on a switch.See what that sounds like.