Rangemaster no dc jack wiring question

Started by brefmint, July 11, 2007, 02:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brefmint

I built a PNP "Positive Ground" Rangemaster out of a PCB that I purchased from GGG. I wanted to wire it without a DC jack so I followed this chart that I found on a forum topic http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_tb_battery.gif   I switched the battery around and flip-flopped the LED and its resistor because mine is postive grounded. I just wanted to make sure this diagram is correct. The way the switch is wired looks very different from the standard wiring diagram seen here http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/geb_rm_lo_pp.gif

I would just like someone to clarify that I followed the correct diagram.

I ended up with a Rangemaster that does not work. It works in Bypass mode. The LED comes on when switched on. But there is no sound when effect is engaged. I went over the solder joints again with no change. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Builds-- Fuzz Face, Tubescreamer(x2), AMZ Miniboost (x3), AMZ Mosfet Boost, Rangemaster(x2), Atari Punk Console, Ruby Amp w/ Bassman mod, EA Tremolo, Java Boost,

Working on: Tube Reamer/Miniboost Combo

GREEN FUZ

The first diagram is Negative ground, the second is Positive ground. Just to get things straight, you have reversed the battery and LED polarity from what is indicated in the first diagram and all polarised Capacitors are as they were in the schematic you are working from?

brefmint

Sorry if I wasn't clear on this. I followed the second diagram(POS. Ground) for the curcuit board. I only followed the first diagram(NEG. Ground) to wire it into the enclosure. I reversed the battery and LED polarity.
Builds-- Fuzz Face, Tubescreamer(x2), AMZ Miniboost (x3), AMZ Mosfet Boost, Rangemaster(x2), Atari Punk Console, Ruby Amp w/ Bassman mod, EA Tremolo, Java Boost,

GREEN FUZ

The 3PDT switch can be configured in different ways. I have no reason to believe the wiring in the first diagram is wrong.

brefmint

Thanks for checking it out for me. I guess I've just done something wrong becuase it's not making a sound when turned on.

GREEN FUZ

This is going to sound obvious but check all your wiring again. Even when things look right you may find you have soldered a wire in the wrong place.

brefmint

Yeah, I felt like an idiot when I rechecked the wiring. There was not just one but TWO wires going to wrong places on the board. Geez. I resoldered them in the correct spots and it's working now.....kinda. The knob must be wired backwards because when you turn it up the effect is decreased and when you turn it down volume increases. It also has quite a buzzy hum going on. At least it's working somewhat.

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: brefmint on July 11, 2007, 10:06:50 PM
Yeah, I felt like an idiot when I rechecked the wiring. There was not just one but TWO wires going to wrong places on the board.

Welcome to the world of DIY. ;D

QuoteIt also has quite a buzzy hum going on. At least it's working somewhat.

Check (again) the ground wiring. All earth wires should terminate in the same area. You may find that, if you haven`t already, putting it in an enclosure will reduce the RF buzz.

brefmint

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for all of your help! I touched up a loose ground wire and the buzz is now quieter. I have a couple of questions: To fix my backwards pot should I swap the wires on the left and right lugs? Also, My LED is blinding. I used a 1.5k resistor. My LED is blue. I won't mind the brightness on stage but will this affect the tone and/or battery life?

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: brefmint on July 12, 2007, 09:52:01 AM
To fix my backwards pot should I swap the wires on the left and right lugs?

That should do the trick.

QuoteAlso, My LED is blinding. I used a 1.5k resistor. My LED is blue. I won't mind the brightness on stage but will this affect the tone and/or battery life?

I`ve never made it but I suspect the Rangemaster has a very low current draw so the battery should last ages. Tone? I really don`t know. If an LED is used as a clipping diode it will, but as an indicator I would say no. Eric Johnson might notice. As ever, I`m prepared to be corrected.

brefmint

HAHA! Thanks for all of your help. The pedal sounds awesome! One down....Many more to go!!