Author Topic: This Is Wierd  (Read 2529 times)

Antipokhmelin

This Is Wierd
« on: July 12, 2007, 11:04:19 PM »
I'm 16 and am doing this project for the first time (everything here is a first: soldering, etc). But today my father pointed out to me that i managed to make the circuit so small and close together that the electricity may "arc" across the circuit and create a short or something. Can this happen with that small of a power source (9V battery) or am i still OK? none of my solder points are touching each other, just really close.
thanks in advance!
will

GibsonGM

• more
  • Awesome!
  • Mike Parker (aka. Guitar Mike, Parks, etc)
Re: This Is Wierd
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 11:18:40 PM »
Not too likely to be a problem, Will...you can prove it to yourself by taking 2 wires and a 9V battery (nothing higher voltage than that!!!!), and trying to make it arc.  When they touch, yes it will occur, but not if there is ANY space at all.  I think you're OK.
It takes 30,000V to jump 1cm....problems arise if you get over 30v (still not likely but hey, lets draw a line somewhere), and I wouldn't cram high voltage parts too close.

What you CAN get is increased interelement capacitance/inductive coupling...in other words, parts too close together can radiate electromagnetic fields that interfere with the other's operation.  Depends on the parts and what they're doing, and how sensitive the circuit is to those kinds of things; you'll learn more about that as you go along.

Get a little digital multimeter (DMM) with continuity function, and you can assure yourself things aren't connected that shouldn't be!
Welcome to the forum, and I hope you keep building and learning - it's a life-long hobby that will never fail to amaze you as you gain experience!  :o)  Congratulations on your build.
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...