delay based effects...TMS320C6727 DSP info ... !

Started by Dragonfly, May 07, 2006, 06:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

looking to build a delay, chorus, reverb, etc ?  this might be a nice "kick start" for ya !

http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/spraaa5/spraaa5.pdf

Dirk_Hendrik

More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Peter Snowberg

The C6727 is a frighteningly powerful chip. At 300 MHz, you get 2400 MIPS/1800 MFLOPS.

<Dr. Emmit Brown voice>
1.8 GigaFLOPS!?!?!? 1.8 GigaFLOPS!!?!!?!
</Dr. Emmit Brown voice>

Just for a little skewed perspective, the Original Cray I supercomputers were rated at 166 MFLOPS.

The Eval board is $2K from Lyrtech but it comes with 8 channels of 192K 24bit A/D/A! :icon_twisted:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Transmogrifox

That's pretty incredible.  A person could do some seriously rad DSP with a 1.8 GFLOP chip at a very fast sample rate.  You could even do it in C and not worry about "wasted" instructions.  24 bits I once figured is about at the thermal noise floor assuming a 5V reference.  You would probably be quite accurately sampling analog noise.  I would have a really hard time believing somebody that thought 24 bit at 192k sounded "digital".

Get a whole bunch of RAM and you would have an incredible FX processor platform.  It's all just a simple matter of programming.

P.S.
FLOPS, for you who are not familiar with DSP, means FLoating point Operations Per Second
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Dragonfly

Here's a much more "in depth" PDF than the one posted at the start of the thread. :)

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tms320c6727.pdf