News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

CMOS ICs

Started by CynicalMan, January 25, 2010, 04:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CynicalMan

I have a bunch of CMOS ICs from various sources, and I'd like to know if any are useful for stompbox use. I haven't really checked out CMOS use in effects but I do know that the chips I have are that commonly used. Here's what I have:

CD4093
MC14049 (buffered  :-\)
CD4001
CD4029

Any ideas?

JKowalski

They're good for.....

Logic!  ;D

CD4093      Quad 2-input Schmitt trigger NAND gate
MC14049      Hex inverter
CD4001      Quad 2-input NOR gate
4511      BCD to 7-segment latch/decoder/driver
4011      Buffered Quad 2-Input NAND gate
CD4029      Presettable up/down counter, binary or BCD-decade

Thought that might help either you or others replying.

Use wikipedia to figure out logic chips (Note the MC chips are 4000 series just forget the MC1 part)

Afraid I don't see much use (other then in logic circuits) for anything but the counter (sequencer?) and hex inverter (oscillators, etc.). LED display chips are pretty useful but only really with uC's in the mix. Of course you can probably find some interesting uses for all of them but it'd be thinking out of the box.

fuzzo

I tried to make a double red llama with a CD4093, 4  gain stages and even if the sound seemed good there was an lood oscillation which added to the sound (like a bit crusher). Otherwise,  with just two , it sounds cool.

the blackstone and Emma (I don't remember the name) made  pedals using that kind of IC. There's also a kind of "probe" system.

earthtonesaudio

The 4093 is very useful.  You can make 4 oscillators with an inhibit/enable input each... two independent edge-triggered RS flip flops... 4 switch debouncing circuits... or many other uses.
I've used the buffered inverters as amplifiers in circuits that call for the unbuffered version... and while the end result is not the same, it's often similar and certainly not bad (in my opinion of course).
You could use the counter to make some sort of sequencer thingy...

Top Top

Could a counter be used for a square-wave-type octave down, like in conjunction with a PWM circuit (the Escobedo one with the 40106)?

MoltenVoltage

MV-52 > 4029 > 4511 >  7 segment display = numeric sequencer counter

the 4049 inverting buffers are always useful when routing logic signals to more than one chip - for example sending the MV-52 signal to both a 4017 decade counter and a 4029 binary counter for the numeric display.  two inverters can always be run in series to make a standard signal buffer.  in fact, you should always try to use all the buffers on the chip so none of the inputs are floating.  if you have an odd number, be sure to use a 10K holdup resistor at the input of the unused pin so the input isn't floating and the output is low.

MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on January 26, 2010, 06:54:53 PM
in fact, you should always try to use all the buffers on the chip so none of the inputs are floating.  if you have an odd number, be sure to use a 10K holdup resistor at the input of the unused pin so the input isn't floating and the output is low.

Unused CMOS inputs should be tied directly to Vcc or GND.  Do not use a pull-up or pull-down, use a short circuit.  A resistor will make the input susceptible to noise, which also wastes power and uses more parts.  Use only as many gates as you need, otherwise you're just wasting power.

mr.adambeck

Check out Nicola Collins' book Handmade Electronic Music.  It has tons of synths and effects based on those chips.  Some of which are VERY cool!