Blendable Klon-type Overdrive

Started by markm, July 15, 2007, 11:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magikker

Ah ha....
I had guessed that the in betweens were the issue...

So, I guess we need it to be crisper clean on the clean side?

markm

The in-betweens are fine, the extremes are brutal!  :icon_lol:

magikker

it just struck me... at the extremes you are looking at a full gain distortion plus or a full gain micro amp right? I'm rarely a fan of any of my pedals at full gain... Were as at the extremes you probably want a 75% gain micro amp or 75% gain dist+ and none of the other effect?.... Is that right?

markm

Quote from: magikker on July 18, 2007, 12:24:31 PM
it just struck me... at the extremes you are looking at a full gain distortion plus or a full gain micro amp right? I'm rarely a fan of any of my pedals at full gain... Were as at the extremes you probably want a 75% gain micro amp or 75% gain dist+ and none of the other effect?.... Is that right?

Well, the D+ is a bit different than the 250 but, yes. I would say you are correct however, there will always be a bit of one on the other's full setting.
I myself don't go for Max Gain either, just a bit of break-up 'cause afterall, I play Country!
But, it gets unusable in either extreme where as the individual effects are usable by some at extreme settings.
The sound was, to use a better phrase, "not - pleasant" on the extremes.
A bit clearer would be the phrase, "it sounds like Crap!".  :icon_lol:

freddd

When I built it on bread board I ended up lowering the gain available in both sections quite a bit, I just increased the resistors that head for ground after the gain pot. I can't remember the exact values I had - they still needed some tweaking anyway.

Ben N

Quote from: markm on July 18, 2007, 12:42:23 PMWell, the D+ is a bit different than the 250 but, yes. I would say you are correct however, there will always be a bit of one on the other's full setting.
I myself don't go for Max Gain either, just a bit of break-up 'cause afterall, I play Country!
But, it gets unusable in either extreme where as the individual effects are usable by some at extreme settings.
The sound was, to use a better phrase, "not - pleasant" on the extremes.
A bit clearer would be the phrase, "it sounds like Crap!".  :icon_lol:

So this is meant to be an Old 97s pedal?  ;)
  • SUPPORTER

markm

Quote from: freddd on July 18, 2007, 12:54:25 PM
When I built it on bread board I ended up lowering the gain available in both sections quite a bit,

Now that would not surprise me at all!

Bernardduur

I just finished this pedal, and it simply ROCKS!!!!!

The max settings are nice as you get a clean boost as a Distortion + like tone but the inbetween sounds are really killer as they tend to go from slight OD's to more distortion....... one problem is that the volume increases as I tend to go to the max settings..... in between the volume is quite lower then the extremes.

I run it now on 18V; they are just a microamp and a OD250. I simply placed an IC buffer stage / splitter before to get enough sound to both sections
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

markm

Did you build freddd's circuit?
So, you have a buffer on the input and that's all?

Bernardduur

Quote from: markm on August 06, 2007, 11:41:33 AM
Did you build freddd's circuit?
So, you have a buffer on the input and that's all?

Almost :)

I didn't use a buffer on the end but placed it to the start; the signal goes through two mix resistors to the 100k (log) volume pot

I also didn't add the trimpots yet; they'll come later I guess as I will replace the mix resistors with trimpots. I also added a cap over the 250 diodes.

Oh, and I kept the pedals individual 1/2V+ maker intact; I dunno if that is advised over one 1/2V+ maker for all positions.

I'll make a schematic of it

It sounds really really good!

Bernardduur

markm

Bernardduur

Yes;

I would love to have the volume a little bit more even but it is a GREAT pedal to play with!

freddd

Great stuff! It works... Interesting changes your made there. Are you gonna attempt to solve the volume issues?

Bernardduur

Yep; I am quite busy now (although my bass needs me first)

Noticed some mistakes in the schematic I will undo quite soon;
- The output cap on the microamp section is 15 uF, not 10 uF
- The volume pot is log; the program has no log pots
- Both gain potmeters are a double potmeter as described in the before section

markm

Quote from: freddd on August 07, 2007, 06:31:55 AM
Great stuff! It works... Interesting changes your made there. Are you gonna attempt to solve the volume issues?

Probably just an adjustment of the 10K mix resistors in the schem.
Although, would this not effect the highs a bit?

Bernardduur

Yes, it would I guess;

So therefor I go to mixing volume trimpots;

markm

So, what the consensus on the bias network?
Should it be shared amongst the two individual circuits -or- should each side have it's own since the values are different?

Bernardduur

No opinions I guess :)

When I connect all pedals to the same bias network the "sound" of the individual effects get less. So keep em in!

ppatchmods

did anyone ever get this thing working? the links are dead.
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?