Yet another "what would you recommend" thread...

Started by cakeworks, July 21, 2007, 09:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cakeworks

Hey I hate to clog up the board with questions which aren't particularly technical but I don't hate it to the point where I won't do it haha...

So basically I was talking to a mate about his rig and he expressed interest in getting me to build him something. He get's frustrated with the sounds of a fair few pedals so he just runs a his USA custom shop strat into a fender deville through one boss overdrive. He was telling me that what' he'd like is this: one box which contains three gain effects, the first being a clean boost for strumming and whatknot, the second being a bit more overdriven but nothing intense for more bluesy/country rhythm guitar, the third would be a bit more high in gain (nothing like metal or hard rock) but something he can use as a solo pedal. He plays blues/rock/some really tripped out stuff sometimes with a top-knotch band called 'the middle east'.

Just wondering if anyone's done a similar project and/or if anyone could offer some options and suggestions for the various circuits... Also I'm not too farmiliar with enclosures... could anyone recommend a good sized enclosure for three circuits?

Thanks for anyone's help offered and thanks for taking the time to read this even if you don't reply.

-Jack

Ps. I plan on making a few test circuits to show him so I don't mind if you list a couple of ideas for each circuit.
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

GibsonGM

I built a Blues Breaker and a Mosfet boost in 1 box.  Used 1 LED and 1 1N914 for the clipping diodes.   Ran the output of the BB into the boost (bypassable).   The boost has 2 gain pots that are jumpered by a stomp switch like they did on the Fulldrive.

So, I have: all off (bypass)....BB on....BB and boost gain1 on for a little sharper, crunchier tone, and boost gain2 for pretty heavy leads.  I can also just run other pedals into this box, and use only the boost with THEM.  So it's pretty versatile, might be what you're talking about?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Marcos - Munky

The MXR Wylde OD is a cool overdrive for the bluesy/country stuff. And you can use a booster to have more gain with it. Also, Dragonfly's Firecracker sounds interesting. Didn't built it yet, but it's in my list of "to build" :P.

John Lyons

I'd build an Omega to boost the amp. It's quite versatile tone wise. two knobs
MosFET boost is quite nice as well although not as versatile One knob

Not sure about the second "Overdrive" circuit.  A BSIABII with all 2N5457 would be nice. 3 knobs

The Hwy-89 Lots of gain but very fat and round sounding. Build it stock first, with Sockets for the transistors and try out 2N3904s or some lower gain ones if you have two much gain. Cleans up very well with the guitar volume. 4 knobs

The 1790NS should be fine for 3 circuits if you plan it out well.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

cakeworks

Thanks guys!

Yeah gibsongm I ran that idea past him (or a similar one) just before I started this thread and he liked the sound of it in theory but i guess finding the right circuit for it is pretty important! I'm liking the sound of the omega booster and i'm interested to hear the bsiabII also... does anyone have soundclips of that bad boy?

Jack
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...