Your opinions please!!!

Started by grrrrrant, July 25, 2007, 02:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grrrrrant

What pedal do you think is the best pedal to build overall?  Put these factors into your decision:  Sound quality, level of difficulty to build, and price.  Which pedal has the best of all three (or close to it) in your own opinion?

Dragonfly

Quote from: grrrrrant on July 25, 2007, 02:21:23 PM
What pedal do you think is the best pedal to build overall?  Put these factors into your decision:  Sound quality, level of difficulty to build, and price.  Which pedal has the best of all three (or close to it) in your own opinion?

yes.

grrrrrant

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 25, 2007, 02:29:17 PM

yes.

hhhhhmmmmmm?????

Mark Hammer

For who? For someone with 20 pedals that wants to branch out in new directions?  For someone who just bought their first electric guitar and only has a cord and $50 practice amp?  For someone who plans on building a mammoth pedal-board bit by bit?  For someone who plays country?  For someone who plays celtic rock?  For someone who has a lot of black hair dye, tattoos and piercings and likes it loud and noisy?  For someone who also plays clarinet in the high school marching band?  For someone who can't tell the difference between a resistor and a capacitor?  For someone who can build TVs and wants a new challenge?

Dragonfly

Quote from: grrrrrant on July 25, 2007, 02:33:16 PM
Quote from: Dragonfly on July 25, 2007, 02:29:17 PM

yes.

hhhhhmmmmmm?????

It makes as much sense as any other answer you will get by asking this question.

grrrrrant

For the average joe.  Not an expert diy builder.  It doesn't matter what type of music you play.  I was just asking becuase I can't decide on my next project.

theundeadelvis

I agree with Dragonfly  ;) I think what he is saying is asking a question like that is like asking "what's the meaning of life?" Add some specifics like what kind of pedal, distortion, delay, etc., good for beginner or super experienced, and so on, and you might get some opinions (I know that's got to be a  run-on sentence).
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

theundeadelvis

My personal favorite is the Tremelus Lune. Very rewarding build.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

Dragonfly

Quote from: theundeadelvis on July 25, 2007, 02:38:18 PM
My personal favorite is the Tremelus Lune. Very rewarding build.

See...this is a perfect example....

while i thing the Lune is a nice trem, it wouldnt rank in *my* top 5 builds list.

grrrrrant

Thank you.  I am asking about any: fuzz, distortion, tremelo, reverb, and eq pedals.  I am an amatuer when it comes to building pedals.  I honestly don't care which of these^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I build next.  Preferably something simple and easy on the pocket.

grrrrrant

Thank you.  I am asking about any: fuzz, distortion, tremelo, reverb, and eq pedals.  I am an amatuer when it comes to building pedals.  I honestly don't care which of these^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I build next.  Preferably something simple and easy on the pocket.

Pushtone

You have given "factors" to consider but no reference to what your looking for.
Something challenging or something easy?
We can't tell you whats "best" as its different for everyone.

Ultimately its up to you to decide whats worth building and whats not.
At your disposal are sound clips, build pics and build reports.

Tonepad.com rates all his projects as "beginner" "intermediate" and "advanced".
Thats about as close to a subjective opinion as your going to get.

I can tell you from my personal experience that booster pedals are very easy to build
and can get your build quality and build techniques up to a new level that will
allow you to go on to build something like the TP Small Clone Chorus, an "advanced" build according to TP.

The EA Tremolo, Orange Squeezzer, and Ampeg Scrammbler where my first three builds.
After that I built five boosters and after all that I was able to go "off the project file" a little and create something special like this...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=52149.0
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Dragonfly

Quote from: grrrrrant on July 25, 2007, 02:42:12 PM
Thank you.  I am asking about any: fuzz, distortion, tremelo, reverb, and eq pedals.  I am an amatuer when it comes to building pedals.  I honestly don't care which of these^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I build next.  Preferably something simple and easy on the pocket.

OK...lets ask you a few questions....

What kind of rig do you have ?

What kind of music do you like ?

Are you detail oriented (when it comes to builds), or do you just want something simple ?

With fuzz, do you prefer smooth germanium type sounds, spitty silicon fuzz sounds,octave fuzz, or digitally clipped fuzz sounds ?

With distortion, are you wanting a "heavy metal" type distortion or a classic "hard rock" distortion,?

With tremolo, do you like staccato, choppy tremolo, or smooth vintage amplike Tremolo ? And if it's "amplike", do you prefer Fender style, Magnatone style, or Supro style ? If the answer is "Fender style", do you like blackface or brownface fender style tremolo ?

With reverb, do you want a Fender-y amp type reverb, a big hall reverb, a plate style reverb, etc ? Are you afraid of building using DSP ?

As for EQ, are you looking for a graphic EQ, a parametric EQ, a parametric EQ, or a shelving EQ ?

Do you see what I'm getting at here ?

Mark Hammer

You will never ever go wrong with a loop selector.  It will always be useful to you whether you buy or build pedals after this.  It will rarely need batteries and will continue to work properly (though not as pleasingly) even after the battery is dead.  It will let you score cheap 2nd hand pedals and NOT have to convert them to true bypass because someone told you that was the thing to do.  It will double as an A/B switch for going to two amps, and will also work backwards as a guitar selector switch (2 instruments, one amp).

It only needs:
- a box ***
- a switch ***
- 4 jacks ***
- some wire for connecting the above ***
- 2 LEDs
- 1 resistor
- a battery snap
- a jack for an adaptor

Only the things indicated by *** are essential.  The other stuff is simply for making the box more usable.  There is nothing to select or measure or match or be careful to avoid static discharge.  Troubleshooting doesn't get much easier than this.

Dragonfly

Quote from: Pushtone on July 25, 2007, 02:44:36 PM

....and after all that I was able to go "off the project file" a little and create something special like this...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=52149.0

How did I miss that thread ????

Nice work !

GREEN FUZ

ooooohhhhhh pushtone you little devil, that`s a great looking pedal.

Sorry graanntttt your question is far too ambiguous. All you`ll get is a list of pedals that people personally like. How`s that going to help you? You should have some idea of what you want so any recommendations made are informed by your tastes.

That said.

Build a Fuzz Face and be done with it.

Dragonfly

Pushtone

+1 on Mark EFX Loop pedal suggestion.

Check out www.loooper.com

and

www.loop-master.com

for ideas in building a looper.

Easy and VERY useful.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Dan N