[Omega Layout] Suggestions needed!

Started by QSQCaito, July 28, 2007, 09:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QSQCaito

Hello guys! I'm quite new to the idea of designing my own layouts. I would be pretty happy if you comment about any suggestion, improvement, mistake, or whatever you would like to say about this ROG Omega layout.

I don't like it that much, did several. This was the one I like the most, though I still don't find a way to end with the blank space at the bottom right.

Thanks a lot!!

Bye bye

DAC

PS Next times I'll make traces thicker I guess.
D.A.C

96ecss

Quote from: QSQCaito on July 28, 2007, 09:28:29 PM
Hello guys! I'm quite new to the idea of designing my own layouts. I would be pretty happy if you comment about any suggestion, improvement, mistake, or whatever you would like to say about this ROG Omega layout.

I don't like it that much, did several. This was the one I like the most, though I still don't find a way to end with the blank space at the bottom right.

Thanks a lot!!

Bye bye

DAC

PS Next times I'll make traces thicker I guess.

Hi,

Without checking very closely, I found a few things.

C1 doesn't connect to anything at the top. It should go to Input at junction of R1.
R3 should be 33K not 37K
C2 should be 220pF not 220nF
Master Volume is 10KA not 100KA

Where are you going to put the mounting holes? You could put one in the lower right corner. I like to have the mounting holes inside the ground plane halfway between top and bottom if possible.

Dave

QSQCaito

Thanks 96ecss. I'll correct as soon as possible. I didn't put mounting holes, just because I don't use them. But I think I'll be putting some next time.

Keep it coming :D Anything, mod suggestion, whatever.. Just bring it :D

Bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

96ecss

I did a quick layout just by copying yours and rotating C4. I left out VR1. I didn't put alot of thought into it, I just figured I could give you an idea or two.

I hope this helps as I'm pretty new to layouts myself. If it wasn't so late here, I would just do a complete layout for it and post that but I'm too tired.

Dave

Well I see the image didn't work. Here is the link. http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/cam454/?action=view&current=render.gif

QSQCaito

:) I see. I believe the board size is the same. It can be made smaller, the thing is that I tried to achieve some things such as the 3 lugs of pot together, and all connections on the upper part.

Appreciate it very much 96 ;)

I'm tired myself. I believe I'll just keep on trying tomorrow.

Bye bye

thanks

DAC
D.A.C

petemoore

R1 and R6 could form a triangle on the circuit's lugs of the bypass switch, I routinely do that anyway so my boxes all just have that as part of the 'wrapper', It makes it easy to swap circuits in the box, and I like the way the ~trimmed leads solder in the switch, reduces switch heat cycling when swapping circuits.
  C4 could be put right on the output pot.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markm

DAC,
If it helps you at all, I have a verified layout in my gallery of this circuit.
Maybe it can help you sort it out?

QSQCaito

Pete, I didn't understand your comment at all  :-\. COuld anybody please explain?? I read it a thousand times already :P.. Still got problems with english, I guess.

Saw your layout mark ;) The upper left part it's pretty much the same, then it changes. I'm going to do thicker traces next time. Also, I put as an objective to have all connections on the upper part. It's pretty similar, mine is much condensed, but has a bigger hole in the lower right side.
D.A.C

markm

Quote from: QSQCaito on July 29, 2007, 10:47:24 AM

Saw your layout mark ;) The upper left part it's pretty much the same, then it changes. I'm going to do thicker traces next time. Also, I put as an objective to have all connections on the upper part. It's pretty similar, mine is much condensed, but has a bigger hole in the lower right side.

Yeah, I see that.
I just thought having one to look at may help you with yours.....that's all.
Are you using a stand-up trimmer for VR1?
If not, it won't fit.
One of the faults of DIY creator is component sizing isn't always accurate.
I get lots of PM's about "why is there soooo much space around those 1uF Caps in your layout.....it's huge!!" -or-  "why in the world is your layout so big for such & such.....it's ONLY 2 trimmers....mind if I condense it??"
I usually respond.....Go ahead!  ;D
Then I get a PM back later that they decided to go with my layout as after they made it Smaller....Nothing Fit!!  :icon_rolleyes:
Don't let the space fool you, I do it for a reason!  :icon_exclaim:

QSQCaito

Seems like a good advice mark ;) This time it was just to check my layout habilities. When I build this circuit I'm going to check all sizes before building. Also I can only get pretty high voltage poly caps 0.1uf for example, only 250v :/ And with the 63v, if they don't have they just give me bigger. For the trimmer..

i use this one

Nice advice, I'll take this deeply into consideration, specially if its coming from you ;)

thanks a lot!

bye bye

DAC
D.A.C

markm

Well,
Some of it's opinion though!
So, don't live by it......get R.G.'s book, that'll be a great resource for you.
Nice trimmers by the way, I'd like to get some of those next time I need 'em.
Good work though my friend!  8)

QSQCaito

I'm planning to get RG's book. Just waiting for the moment. Although it does not pay customs, it's not cheap(for me being in Argentina) and I still have to add shipping.
D.A.C

markm

Quote from: QSQCaito on July 29, 2007, 05:49:02 PM
I'm planning to get RG's book. Just waiting for the moment. Although it does not pay customs, it's not cheap(for me being in Argentina) and I still have to add shipping.

Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot about the shipping.  :icon_rolleyes: