Figuring out an epoxied circuit?

Started by schnarf, August 14, 2007, 03:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulsonic

Quote from: schnarf on August 15, 2007, 01:21:25 AM
I think I'm going to use a convolver to make an impulse response of this thing when I get a chance. Then I may try it out with my guitar. Then I'm going to try to cut it open.

If it's supposed to work anything like how they say it works, a convolver won't be able to capture it because it's not a "filter"..... of course since it DOESN'T work the way they say it does, then it doesn't matter and a convolver probably CAN capture it because it is just a "filter".

But yeah, you need to cut it in half.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

grolschie

Quote from: schnarf on August 15, 2007, 01:21:25 AM
I think I'm going to use a convolver to make an impulse response of this thing when I get a chance. Then I may try it out with my guitar. Then I'm going to try to cut it open.

Do try it before cutting it open. Please take photos of before, during and after the surgery.

soulsonic

Yeah photos would be nice.

Hey maybe you could x-ray it?

goosonique

QuoteI need to start selling boxes filled with wire in Asia.

there is loads bs that came from where you are at buddy  :icon_lol:

...oh ya, we don't live on trees  ::)
<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

soulsonic

I think America invented this kind of BS just to torture the rest of the world. :icon_lol:

goosonique

:icon_lol: and we buy them in small red cans

anyways... given a good guitar set up and a nice pick-up tilt will give all the required *clarity* for a rockin good time aye !
I usually see complaints of muddy guitar comin from *care-less* people rather than those who have some kinda idea of *whats what * and go abt getting what they want ....

<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

qwixzh

Quote from: schnarf on August 14, 2007, 03:15:54 AM
Some guy in the Phillippines is selling something he calls the scalarizer which he says makes the tone clearer. He offered to send out a few free for people to try so I got one. It's a small tube about an inch long and quarter inch diameter with two wires coming out. The instructions say to put it anywhere in the signal path, preferably between one of the leads going out of the guitar and the jack, and to keep the device in contact with the body of the guitar. Any tips for figuring out what's inside it? My multimeter says it has a pretty normal resistance (I'll check again tomorow but it was either 4 ohms, 400 ohms, or 4k ohms).

so have you tried it?

I know the guy who sells it (not personally though). He is a regular on that forum link posted earlier. I'll ask him to butt-in.  ;D

soulsonic

Quote from: goosonique on August 15, 2007, 03:25:56 AM
anyways... given a good guitar set up and a nice pick-up tilt will give all the required *clarity* for a rockin good time aye !
I usually see complaints of muddy guitar comin from *care-less* people rather than those who have some kinda idea of *whats what * and go about getting what they want ....

Yes sir! Savvy guitarists don't need little magic components to sound good. Magic epoxy won't give you a miracle tone.
I don't understand why anyone would buy something so silly.

Yeah, I'd like to see that fool over here. I'd like him to explain to us how a Scalar wave means anything other than a Resonant wave! People use antique and ancient terms to describe things that are common when they're trying to BS people. I could sell special "Reactors" to go into power supplies... I guarantee my Reactors will do a much better job of noise filtering than a standard resistor. I'm sure lots of people would think I was selling something amazing and different just because I was using an old term for something common.

qwixzh

Quote from: soulsonicYeah, I'd like to see that fool over here. [/qoute]

i think that's too strong a word. I already sent him a note. hopefully he can read it asap.

Quote from: soulsonicI'd like him to explain to us how a Scalar wave means anything other than a Resonant wave! People use antique and ancient terms to describe things that are common when they're trying to BS people. I could sell special "Reactors" to go into power supplies... I guarantee my Reactors will do a much better job of noise filtering than a standard resistor. I'm sure lots of people would think I was selling something amazing and different just because I was using an old term for something common.

Well, i think that's called marketing strategy!  ;D I've seen those on most of the popular effects manufacturers advertisements.  :icon_mrgreen:

slacker

Quote from: MartyMart on August 14, 2007, 07:18:49 PM
Reminds me of that cable that's sold with "arrows" pointing in one direction ....... like if you connect it the other
way around, your "signal" wont flow as well down a piece of copper wire !!  :icon_rolleyes: :icon_rolleyes:

I don't think that's all mojo. Some of them, especially ones used as HIFI interconnects are shielded but the shield is only connected at one end so you don't get ground loops. The arrows point to the end that is connected, and that end is supposed to go to the amp to use its ground.

Ben N

Hey, Soulsonic, lighten up! Like all snake-oil, it's just entertainment.  :icon_biggrin:

BTW, a "coil" could just be an inductive filter of some kind, which might indeed work more or less as advertised, if not for the hocus pocus reasons given.
  • SUPPORTER

soulsonic

Sorry, but I find this "product" to be highly offensive.

shadowmaster

If you think it's all crap then leave that crap alone. Don't waste your time on it.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

jonathan perez

its garbage no matter how to look at it, or "market" it.

"tone snobs" come into Carvin every day...theyre real jerks/idiots about alot of stuff.

"i want a 7 string guitar, with active electronics, and i want it to have a nice clean tone, none of that heavy metal stuff...and i want the V3 Head.."

one guy had the nerve to argue with me, about different finishes having dramatic effects on the sound of the guitar...

oh, and a fella came in asking how to truebypass a tone circuit in his guitar. i opened her up and saw NO active electronics of any sort...just one of those stupid "black ice" or whatever the hell its called. i ripped that sucker off, and the guy thought his guitar sounded amazing, thereafter....what can i say? im a magic man...

hmm...BBQ sounds good, right about now...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

soulsonic

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on August 16, 2007, 10:45:43 AM
its garbage no matter how to look at it, or "market" it.

"tone snobs" come into Carvin every day...theyre real jerks/idiots about alot of stuff.

"i want a 7 string guitar, with active electronics, and i want it to have a nice clean tone, none of that heavy metal stuff...and i want the V3 Head.."

one guy had the nerve to argue with me, about different finishes having dramatic effects on the sound of the guitar...

oh, and a fella came in asking how to truebypass a tone circuit in his guitar. i opened her up and saw NO active electronics of any sort...just one of those stupid "black ice" or whatever the hell its called. i ripped that sucker off, and the guy thought his guitar sounded amazing, thereafter....what can i say? im a magic man...

hmm...BBQ sounds good, right about now...

Yeah, did that guy start going on about the tung oil finish? Ugh... heaven spare us!
It's really cool that you got a job working at Carvin, I only hope it doesn't leave you jaded and frustrated with the music industry..... I speak from first-hand experience from having worked for music manufacturers myself.... it can really wear you down sometimes.

grolschie

Quote from: shadowmaster on August 16, 2007, 07:23:40 AM
If you think it's all crap then leave that crap alone. Don't waste your time on it.

Is it not crap then? Care to ellaborate?  ???

the_random_hero

Question - does/could this work in a similar way to the Ebtech HE-2 Hum Eliminator? That apparently uses coils/magnetic fields to help with grounding issues and 'liven' up your tone a bit...
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

Jobet

I'm here now soulsonic. Anything you'd like to say to my face ?

I find it amazing that you give credence to shakti coils and trash the more powerful scalar coil configurations found inside the scalarizer. That's like believing in solar power but calling solar panels hokey.

Like it or not soulsonic, I have sold 500 plus units of this device to customers all over the world now and most of them to my knowledge are HAPPY. PROOF will always trump speculation any day.

Just go ahead and read the reviews on the internet. Have a Filipino friend beside you because most of it is in Tagalog.

Similarly, I can send five demo units of this device to members of this forum. Just send me an email at jobet@bamfxaudio.com introducing yourself, your nick on this forum and your snail mail address. I will also ask for a few agreements documented in email before I send you your demonstration unit.

The great thing about it is that it has applications in stompboxes. Visit www.bamfxaudio.com . The site is still growing and I'm still populating it with the work I've done with it re: guitars and stompboxes .

R.G.

There are a few possibilities here.
(a) you may have indeed discovered new rules of physics and electronics that let you make a new, undiscovered principle work actively, passively, and purely acoustically.
(b) you may THINK you have done (a), being truly deluded
(c) you may have discovered that there are always people who will fall for the purest nonsense in advertising about something they wish was true.

(a) is so unlikely that I only include it to be polite, and because I have learned over the years that it is possible that there are Mother Nature's Rules that I don't know yet.
(b) is more likely, as the potential for human self delusion is very large. You may truly believe your advertising. Lots of people do.
(c) is however most likely. Unfortunately, you are using the language and vocabulary of the audio hifi tweako lunatic fringe in advertising. There is a large body of hifi advertising that uses the same style - a pseudoscientific explanation of some as-yet undiscovered effect that magically cleans up, clears up, enhances, or otherwise just makes things MORE BETTER!!! at the cost of only buying this widget. The use of this language style is almost always a dead giveaway that the product being sold is a hoax.

Notice I do not say your device IS a hoax. Only that it is extremely unlikely to work as advertised, and that it is advertised in the same manner as many things which are hoaxes in the audio world. So I invite you to educate me. Tell us how it works in clear, unambiguous language not employing hifi tweako mumbo jumbo. I will then respect you a great deal for discovering a new set of electronic rules that were unknown.

Your advertising ignites my curiousity. I have a burning sense of wonder about how audio equipment works. My curiousity is such that if I don't hear from you in such a way by, say, January 1, I simply will not be able to stand not knowing and I'll have to buy one of the devices and figure it out for myself. Of course, I'd have to arrange such a purchase through third parties so I could be sure to get a representative device; and I have a very busy schedule, so it may not be exactly January 1, could be any time after that.

I genuinely hope that every word of your advertising is true. That would be so exciting!!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.