Your suggestions for a DIY design that's sort of Hot Cake-ish?

Started by bipedal, August 16, 2007, 08:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

>cant this place be home brew and clone friendly?

How long has this place been around? I have never said you can't clone things. Read my posts regarding this subject in this thread. Bipedal asked for a specific thing. I thought it was a great idea and a good change of pace. That's all.

bipedal

Hey all,

Didn't mean to stir up any controversy with my query...  As a relative newb to this forum and to DIY pedals, a big draw of this place for me is the idea that there are readily available, clever homebrew designs that sound as good as, if not better than, commercially-available stuff.  Alternative solutions to particular problems / tone goals, if you will.

Sure, as I'm learning my way through this stuff, I'm obviously curious about what's really under the hood of various well-known pedals, I'll admit, but I truly didn't intend to be blatantly fishing for the schem...

Heck, posted feedback such as "that one sounds really cruddy in my opinion, but it's close to this / better if you do one of these instead / etc." is useful to me too...

So, I've now got several cool build ideas to sort through in the never-ending search for my most awesome guitar tone ever.  Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,

- Jay
"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

caress

aron

markm

Ya know Aron, I've been thinking.....
(that's dangerous!  :D)
Since your HV circuit runs at what, 18V?
Perhaps this would be a great circuit for adapting a MAX1044 into?

aron

It runs at any voltage. In fact, I thought I said (although where IS that data) that I ran it with that hack that makes any voltage regulator adjustable. So I could go all the way from 30+ volts down to where the op amp turned off.

Aron

9 volts

I've just listened to the shaka hv sound sample.....(I wanna make one, it sounds great), is there a pcb layout available)?
..as for the hot cake, what can you say....he and his wife build them last I heard....started in the early seventies yeah? Quite a pioneer with a unique product and from what I gather a sophisticated innovative approach.
Thanks pretty cool, I'm not placing a comment on whether to clone or not (I'd be a hypocrite and killjoy) but I will say if clones did appear on ebay for sale I'm not sure who I'd have the least respect for the buyer or the seller....like thats scummy.

stopstopsmile

Quote from: JHS on August 17, 2007, 12:19:40 PM
BTW: on Matsumin's site is a layout for the switch-cake.

Over the years Paul modified the circuit a lot, but the the sound of all desings is nearly identical.
The overdriven sound is plain IC-overdrive-crap, but it's a great natural clean booster and sounds great if you use right equipment.

You can take the MXR-Microamp circuit and with some minor mods it sounds like the cake-clean (and with some more mods like the cake).

A DOD Juice Box sound similar, but less dynamic and with less volume boost, the Barber LTD has this clean sound too and a better overdriven tone. The old SHO sounds clean similar, though it's a lot noisier and produces those artificial "Mosfet"-overtones.
Jack Nagy's Blue Magic has a similar clean sound. Aron'S Shaka-Boost clean tone is as good as the cake-clean.

oh really thats pretty neat.  I always liked both the hotcake(as clean boost) and the microamp.  My complaint with the hotcake was it could use a little more output in the clean boost function.  Anywhere near 12 oclock or later and its mush.  Anywhere before that and its pretty magical.  So modding the microamp to be hotcake-clean like sounds cool im sure it would have more output as its one loud mofo.  Do tell JHS

stopstopsmile

The hotcake kills.  I have 3 different variations.  I hoped paul would some day do just a stand alone clean boost like the cake but louder and more headroom.
Bump for mxr mods.