You need a buffer... or at least, I do

Started by PeterJ, August 21, 2007, 03:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterJ

So I wasn't really sure I needed a buffer, since I only have two effects in the chain (MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe, homemade Fetzer Valve) -- these go to a passive A/B box -- one side goes to the amp, other to a tuner (for silent tuning). Last night I did a whole bunch of tests, using a couple of different Boss boxes and a Danalectro mini. Plug, unplug, with the A/B box, without the A/B box, etc.

Conclusion: even with only two TB boxes and two 18' cables (which are probably the issue -- they're good cables, just too long for use without some help), the buffer helps not only preserve the highs but the overall depth of sound. Without it, the sound is good, but subdued.

For now, I've switched around some items from my acoustic board so I have a Boss box on the electric side. I think I will build a simple IC buffer to put inside the A/B box on the side that goes to the amp.

Just one man's story.
Duct tape and particle board!

oldrocker

I made a passthrough bypass all pedals switch box.  I put a Stratoblaster buffer in it which I can turn on and off.  Eveything in the switch box are relay controlled.  It works although I don't use it very much.  It's not battery powered it has to have an adaptor or power supply for 9 volts.  I added a diagram showing how it works.
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/asb_sc_i.gif