Converting Schematics to Layouts

Started by Baktown, August 22, 2007, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baktown

All,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to some tech pages on how to convert schematics to layouts?  I really like the sound of Dragonfly's Saturn 5 Fuzz,  and I want to build in on Vero board.  Rather than wait for someone else to do the layout, I want to try it myself.

Thanks!

Axl Bundy

markm

Pick up a copy of R.G.'s book from smallbear.....a good read!  :icon_wink:

The Tone God

Wow. This is like asking how to convert sheet music to recorded music. First you have to learn to play an instrument. Doing circuit board layouts is alot like learning to play an instrument and that is something that can't just be thrown out in a single post. Some research is required. The suggestion of R.G.'s book is one good starting point.

Andrew

Dragonfly

While its a hard question to answer, as others have mentioned....(mainly because we all have worked out different styles).....

I WANT TO COMMEND YOU ON TAKING ON THE TASK YOURSELF, INSTEAD OF ASKING OTHERS TO DO THE WORK FOR YOU.

OK ...now thats over with, I'll try to give you a starting point.

First, I would highly recommend Bancikas DIY Layout software...it works well, is easy to learn, and will allow you to easily move around the components.

A layout is a bit like doing a puzzle. You need to choose a place to start, and work outward from there...at least when youre starting out. After doing layouts for a while, you'll be able to visualize how sections of the layout will look before you even start.

Second, you've chosen a fairly simple effect, and thats to your benefit.

IIRC, you'll find tips in the "Bancika" thread as well as a "layout" thread in the members section. There may also be some info in the WIKI.

Like I said, think of it as a puzzle... :)

R.G.

QuoteCan anyone point me in the right direction to some tech pages on how to convert schematics to layouts?
Really starting from zero takes a long time to explain. I spent probably half the pages in my book doing a step-by-step instruction of how to do this. I've seen some web pages with stuff on PCB layout, but nothing on the web which is intended for the true beginner.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

demonstar

For a stripboard layout it's fairly easy. Making it real neat and compat isn't as easy if it's a biggish circuit (in my opinion). I layed-out my first build on stripboard and my second and third without help and I didn't think it was that tricky. I did have to make one amendment on-the-fly on one of the builds.

My advice would be get a piece of paper and put the dots on in blue pen and draw the tracks faint in black pen and then draw the components on in pencil so you can rub them out. Have the components beside you so that you can see their pinouts and size.

First I decide if there is a maximum size the layout can be. Then I place the Ic's and transistor sockets where I want them on the paper (generally right in the middle if theres just one or two) (I think it's best to spread the ics apart a bit if theres loads)

Then I designate a ground and power rail.

Then place all the other components around the IC's focussing on component size, any heat it radiates and particularly it's relationship to the other components.

I put the leads to the board wherever they seem most appropriate. remember to consider the orientation of the board in it's enclosure.

I put the jumpers in as I go but when I'm finished I try and strive if necessary to reorganise to avoid jumpers where possible and to make the layout smaller. Remember if you have to, you can make silly jumper connections as long as the wire is insulated Incase it touches anything.

That is by no means a definitive guide but thats how I go about it. Well sometimes I use PC software but thats it. Remember breathing room allows for mods at a later date.

Hope that helps.
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

96ecss

Quote from: markm on August 22, 2007, 02:31:35 PM
Pick up a copy of R.G.'s book from smallbear.....a good read!  :icon_wink:

+1 on RG's book.

Dave

Baktown

Wow!

Thanks for all the good responses guys!  I'll definitely pick up a copy of RG's book.

Axl Bundy

The Tone God

In the meantime another suggestion is to go study other layouts. See what other people do. You can learn alot that way.

Andrew

Baktown

I've been doing that, but I feel like a blind man someone is trying to explain colors to!  If that makes any sense.

Thanks to all for putting up with all my newbie questions.

Axl Bundy

oldrocker

What have you built so far?  Did you perfboard it or PCB?

soulsonic

I learned alot about layout by studying how other things were built. I still do it all time. Whenever I come across a piece of electronic equipment that I can see the guts of, I always go through it and study how it was constructed. You learn can learn nearly EVERYTHING you need to know by doing that.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

Baktown

In between helping 4 different kids with their homework, I'm attempting to draw this on stripboard.  When I have a finished product, you know I'll ask for constructive criticism.

Thanks again for all the help from everyone here!

Rock on!

Axl Bundy

GREEN FUZ

I`m surprised no one pointed out something like this.

http://ourworld.cs.com/gknott5413/elect441.htm

This particular example really helped to demystify some of the basic principles of layout for me.

Baktown

aron

bumblebee

CLONE!

Thats how i learnt,i just got a collection of vero layouts and then copied them in diy creator so i "saw" how the parts went together,once i done a few i then tried putting a schematic to vero/perf, thats pretty much all i did.
BTW,i never been to uni or any EE school, everything i know about effects i've learnt online.

Its not hard once you get your head around it, it can twist your head a bit at first but keep it up and you'll be right!

I know this doesnt exactly help much but its how i did it and pretty much the only advice i have.