True bypass for SD-1 (with pics)

Started by moro, August 26, 2007, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moro

I found instructions for a true bypass mod on Matsumin's site, so I gave it a try.

First, I cut away the rubber where the 3PDT will go. I don't ever use a battery, so I just stuck the switch in the battery compartment. If you need the battery, you can probably grind away the metal where the stock momentary switch is to make the 3PDT fit. (Matsumin used the Millenium Bypass and a 2PDT with an extra long switch. That'll let you mount the switch from the bottom, and it sticks out just enough through the pedal. It's kind of ugly though, imo.)

Two 3M rubber pads stacked on top of each other in each corner will keep the pedal from moving when you step on the switch. You need to trim the one near the 3PDT a bit.

Everything fits. Yay!

The mod is pretty simple. Remove Q1 and Q2. Where Q1 used to be, put a jumper across the outside pads.

Put a jumper across the pads for wires 6 and 7. Ditto for wires 17 and 18. I took this pic before I jumpered 6 and 7, which is why they look like they aren't connected. They aren't. :icon_redface: I'm not sure if that one is even necessary, because it seems related to the LED switching. But, what the hey.

The unholy mess before I put it back together. On the PCB, wire 3 is input and wire 12 is output. I also removed the LED from the PCB and wired it directly to the 3PDT. Wire 14, which goes to the momentary switch, is removed. The other wire connected to the switch (I forget the number, but it's the black wire in the photo below) is ground, so I connected that to the output jack.

Yay, it works! I started to do the same mod on my DS-1 before I realized I was missing a part. I'll do that next week, maybe.

Melanhead

hmmm ...looks familiar  :icon_mrgreen:

It can be done and still keep the battery ...

like so:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=58123.msg455492#msg455492

Thanks for sharing ... pretty cool!

moro

Quote from: Melanhead on August 26, 2007, 07:20:38 PM

like so:

Cool. That's the alternate way I was trying to describe. I wanted to use the washer though, and to keep the BOSS logo. :icon_biggrin:

beatstrat

Great photo-essay of the process - nice pics (mine aren't so hot):

I positioned/adjusted the 3PDT switch so that I still step on the battery cover/moving switchplate to toggle the 3PDT - works flawlessly.  Fun stuff.

Melanhead

Quote from: moro on August 27, 2007, 12:00:19 AM
Quote from: Melanhead on August 26, 2007, 07:20:38 PM

like so:

Cool. That's the alternate way I was trying to describe. I wanted to use the washer though, and to keep the BOSS logo. :icon_biggrin:

Mine's modded so much that keeping the boss logo would be a lie  :icon_mrgreen:

Many ways to skin a cat!

BoostAddict

Quote from: gtrwrks on August 27, 2007, 11:25:54 AM

I positioned/adjusted the 3PDT switch so that I still step on the battery cover/moving switchplate to toggle the 3PDT - works flawlessly.  Fun stuff.

Hey that's cool!  I've seen the inside of those boss pedals, very little room to work with.  How'd you get away with this?

ubersam

That is what I do as well. Except, I grind off some material from the underside:

Before:

After:

beatstrat

Tough fit but do-able, Boost; just have to get creative sometimes - like ubersam, etc.

moro

That's very cool. It gives me an excuse to mod another SD-1. :icon_biggrin:

ppatchmods

Do you have a pic of the way you wired the switch? I wired it up yesterday and the switch worked but no led.  I gave it a second go, and nothing...so I need some help. Thanks
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

Stratomaster

Howdy,
      Is the wiring procedure pretty much the same for the DS-1 as you have shown for your SD-1?  I've been looking to true-bypass my DS-1 for quite some time, and seeing that it is this simple might inspire me to actually do it.  Thanks.
-Omar

moro

Quote from: Stratomaster on March 22, 2008, 07:24:37 PM
Howdy,
      Is the wiring procedure pretty much the same for the DS-1 as you have shown for your SD-1?  I've been looking to true-bypass my DS-1 for quite some time, and seeing that it is this simple might inspire me to actually do it.  Thanks.
-Omar

Yup, it's pretty much the same for all Boss pedals I've seen. It's just a matter removing the transistors directly before and after the effect, and replacing them with jumpers. Here's another thread I started about the DS-1:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=61035.0

Hope that helps.

Stratomaster

Sure did!  Thanks so much.  I assume this leaves the buffers intact.  That's fine, now I don't have to listen to the radio (RF interference) while playing clean!  Thanks again.

HOTGUIT

Hi
Nobody knows how to make a Boss DD5 true bypass?
Can i use same practice?
Thank you
bye
Hotguit

bumblebee

Thats how I'd do it too cause its nice and neat and looks stock. I always thought BOSS bypass was pretty good, I don't feel the need to TB my boss pedals, why exactly did you do it? any particular reason or are you just a TB nut? LOL

Jered

Aren't all Boss pedals buffered? What are you accomplishing with TB in the Boss pedals? I'm not telling you its wrong. I just don't know what the advantage TB offers in this case over the buffers.

mth5044

Quote from: Jered on October 21, 2008, 12:17:08 AM
  Aren't all Boss pedals buffered? What are you accomplishing with TB in the Boss pedals? I'm not telling you its wrong. I just don't know what the advantage TB offers in this case over the buffers.

Some bypass suck on Boss, especially the SD-1 with the bleedthrough. Plus some people like true bypass better then buffers. Same old same old.

Jered

Really? You've had problems with them? I've had three SD-1's and numerous other Boss pedals and never had tone altering/sucking issues with any of them. When I need to buy a commercial pedal, Boss is one I usually try first because of the reliability and they are road worthy. I sure wish they would make a good sounding flange pedal.