Boutique effects = DIY projects

Started by jakenold, August 27, 2007, 03:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakenold

I just opened up my buddy's MG "The Drive" and discovered that inside of it was a J.D. Sleep BSAIB-PCB (with JD's name on it and everything). Does anyone know of such a deal, or has MG ripped off the GGG design?

From my point of view, this seems quite worrying. Of course, I might not know the whole story.

Kind regards, Jake

Dragonfly

JD, as well as Francisco (Tonepad) and Keith (BYOC), IIRC, allow people to do whatever they want with their purchased boards. I believe all of them address this on their websites.

snoof

as far as GGG, and BYOC that is correct, (well certain things on GGG don't qualify) but I thought that Tonepad did not have that policy.  at least it's not that clear on their website...

"All material presented on tonepad.com is exclusively for private, non-commercial use. If you download or save material from this website for the purpose of creating the projects described within, your use is limited to three (3) units per project."

jakenold

That makes perfect sense. I just figured that they were subject to licensing.

Still, I've lost a lot of respect for MG. His effects doesn't feel like quality and really doesn't owe up to the price. It's amazing how an effectmaker must set himself a part to sell on this market.

Kind regards, Jake

snoof

you have paid your "licensing fee" when you buy each board. 

Who is MG??  I don't believe I know that company/guy??

Dragonfly

Quote from: snoof on August 27, 2007, 03:38:27 PM
as far as GGG, and BYOC that is correct, (well certain things on GGG don't qualify) but I thought that Tonepad did not have that policy.  at least it's not that clear on their website...

"All material presented on tonepad.com is exclusively for private, non-commercial use. If you download or save material from this website for the purpose of creating the projects described within, your use is limited to three (3) units per project."

I stand corrected.  :D

foxfire

Quote from: snoof on August 27, 2007, 03:42:59 PM
you have paid your "licensing fee" when you buy each board. 

well put. the only people who would know the difference are people like us. just out of curiosity, did he change any values?

markm

Boutique effects = DIY projects 
most are with a few exceptions.  ;D

snoof

Quote from: Dragonfly on August 27, 2007, 03:59:40 PM
Quote from: snoof on August 27, 2007, 03:38:27 PM

I stand corrected.  :D

Not meaning to correct, just wondering aloud mostly...;D  Still unsure as to Tonepad's actual policy.

jakenold

That's what I noticed as well.

I am thinking about de-mojo'ing some effects and offering classic circuits with my own modifications, telling my customers exactly what they are buying... with out all the snake oil  ;D

I think I owe it to you guys, to the (not always rich!) musicians and I don't feel bad telling someone that I sell a "tubescreamer", when it's reasonable priced and sounds good.

Kind regards, Jake

slacker

Quote from: snoof on August 27, 2007, 05:45:25 PM
Not meaning to correct, just wondering aloud mostly...;D  Still unsure as to Tonepad's actual policy.

Tonepad's policy is that if you download a project pdf and etch your own PCBs using their layouts then you can only make 3 boards and these are for personal use.
The terms and conditions for if you purchase ready made boards from them are shown here http://www.tonepad.com/customPage.asp?id=2.

snoof

nice find Slacker, I didn't run across that on the site.  So just for anyone else wanting to know...

"If you buy 10+ of the same board you're entitled to a 20% discount, email us for details. Builders: You may use boards bought from www.tonepad.com for your custom work or smaller production runs (this is the only allowed commercial use of our material, not applicable to boards made by yourself). For licensing requests please email me at fp@tonepad.com."

Ed G.

You sure it's a BSIAB? Doesn't seem like it from the description, nor the controls.
"The Drive is a combination of a TS9 with a silicon fuzz sound, giving you endless variations of tones between the 4 knobs and the mini-toggle switch, from an early 70's fuzz to a creamy tube sound. "

jakenold

On the board it says: "JD Sleep" and "BSAIB"

I'll see if I can grab some pictures later.

Kind regards, Jake

m.alexander

Mono Vibe = Easy Vibe  :icon_evil: John Hollis

ulysses

Quote from: m.alexander on August 28, 2007, 08:33:02 AM

Mono Vibe = Easy Vibe  :icon_evil: John Hollis

are you sure? have you reversed one?

cheers
ulysses

caress

not 100% sure, but i think all of the mg effects are diy projects.

alien booster = rangemaster
fuzzyland = fuzzface
mgmuffeliz = big muff
mono vibe = easy vibe
thats echo folks = ad3208 delay
the drive = bsiab2
tonetender = tonebendermkII

i'm sure the other ones are also projects, i just don't know those circuits...a marshall-in-a-box?  the creamy?  come on...even their graphics are take-offs from other products and logos.  hmm ::)

oldschoolanalog

The mono vibe looks like a box of laundry detergent  :P
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Dragonfly

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on August 28, 2007, 09:29:43 AM
The mono vibe looks like a box of laundry detergent  :P

yeah ?  You should see the others. Blatant trade dress / trademark infringements of Coca Cola, McDonalds, and Warner Brothers...oh, and theres the "Charles Bukowski" envelope filter...I'm guessing that they didnt get permission to use his name since he passed away in the mid 90's....

oh well...

markm

"Benefit of the doubt"....Maybe he has a contract with JD? ???