Echo Base - a new PT2399 delay

Started by slacker, August 27, 2007, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RndSndRecords

Couple questions about the schematic:
How is the "LFO" power source derived? Is it just a tap off the other 5volt rail?

I'm thinking of building this for line level source by using a balanced line receiver. Any idea where to start with that?
I'll probably use a BB ina 137 on the front end and a DRV 134 out. I feel like I could ditch U3 (TL072) in that case.

garcho

The VDD for the LFO op amps is via the 220Ω and 9VDC. The reference voltage is from the 5VDC off the regulator.

it's just a PT2399, you could configure the op amps as receiver/driver. what's your plan?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

RndSndRecords

Quote from: garcho on January 30, 2019, 12:53:28 AM
The VDD for the LFO op amps is via the 220Ω and 9VDC. The reference voltage is from the 5VDC off the regulator.

it's just a PT2399, you could configure the op amps as receiver/driver. what's your plan?

Just after I posted I saw the LFO tap coming off the lm7805. Missed that before.

Not much of a plan yet, but I'm scheming a sorta lofi delay for mixing.   I'd probably use a fixed modulation like an out of sorts tape machine and run everything off of +/- 16vdc

and I know Echoboy is awesome but where is the fun in that.

jdom1984

slacker

jamierichards1234

Hey, I just have a couple of questions - more for my own understanding than anything else..

What's the purpose of the 220r resistors on the 9v and ground connections from the modulation opamp?

I see that the 5v supply is being used as the reference voltage for the modulation opamp. Would it make any difference if I used a 4.5v reference voltage (I'm planning to build this in a box with some other bits and will already have a buffered 4.5v which I could use). It seems to me like using the 4.5v would make more sense but I might be missing something..

Thanks!

slacker

The 220R resistors are to try and keep noise from the LFO  getting into the audio parts of the circuit by decoupling the supply to the LFO. To be honest I'm not sure the one to ground does anything, it could probably be replaced with a jumper.
It shouldn't make any difference if you used a 4.5 reference voltage instead of the 5 volts. When I designed it I just figured 5 volts was close enough to 4.5  so I'd save a few parts and use that as a reference. With hindsight this wasn't a great idea because the 5 volt supply can be a bit noisy.

If you're going to build this I would use this version instead, which has a better input buffer and quieter reference voltage.

Echo Base version 2 schematic

jamierichards1234

Thanks! And thanks for sharing the design!

telebiker

Looking at the schematics I'm wondering, what need to be done in order to replace 50K time pot to the 10K to keep more or less the same delay time? Sorry if the question is silly.
  • SUPPORTER

delay dude

I know, this thread is old, but I´ve got a question about the modulation of the Echobase:

I´d like to have the modulation slower. Is it possible? How can this be done?
In my version, the 27k in the modulation circuit is already lowered to 2,7k.

It´s such a great delay and with an underclocked pt2399, it almost sounds like a make noise strega delay...

Thanks!  :icon_cool:

duck_arse

the 27k in series with the 1M Mod Speed pot? decreasing that value will faster the modulation. to slower it, I'd try adding to the 2u2 cap at pin 7 of U1B.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

PRR

Quote from: delay dude on September 25, 2023, 09:36:52 AMI´d like to have the modulation slower.

For slower/lower: Bigger resistors or caps.
  • SUPPORTER