Echo Base - a new PT2399 delay

Started by slacker, August 27, 2007, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker

I'll try and do some more sound samples at the weekend.
I've just noticed an error on the vero layout, C2 should be 1n not 10n, I'll fix it.

audioguy

Those clips are great! I would love to see a PCB of this one!

moro

This sounds great! I'm glad you posted it when you did because I was just about to order parts for a Rebote. Thank you.

smccusker

thanks for the schem and layout, this looks amazing.
I was wondering, would a 2N5087 be an appropriate substitution for the BC560C ?
Guitar -> Amp

slacker

Quote from: smccusker on August 30, 2007, 08:02:40 PM
thanks for the schem and layout, this looks amazing.
I was wondering, would a 2N5087 be an appropriate substitution for the BC560C ?

Thanks, I think a 2N5087 should be fine in place of the BC560. A 2N3904 can be subbed for the 2N5089.

slacker

I've fixed
Quote from: slacker on August 30, 2007, 08:22:43 AM
I'll try and do some more sound samples at the weekend.
I've just noticed an error on the vero layout, C2 should be 1n not 10n, I'll fix it.

Fixed :)

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/slackers-stuff/echobasefinal.jpg.html

moro

It's possible I don't know how to count, but it looks like the layout is too big to fit on the stripboards that Aron sells. That's kind of a bummer. Is there a source for bigger stripboards?

Toney

Ian! Outstanding!
Don't have much time at the moment, but i can't wait to give this a shot.

widdly

How did you do the vibrato sound with the cmos switching ?  From the schematic it looks like the clean sound is always connected to the output. 

slacker

Yeah, you're right it's not proper vibrato where you would have 100% wet signal. The clean sound is always present, but with a high enough mix of the delayed sound it's not that noticeable. I did think about doing the mixing in a way that would allow anything from 100% dry to 100% wet, but this would have made the switching more complicated because you need some way to return the dry sound to unity when you switch to bypass.
Might be something to look at again if I do a version 2.

slacker

Just a cheeky bump really, but here's a couple more sound clips.
Shine On Lush delay
Self oscillation Self oscillation and knob twiddling.

If anyone's interested the maximum delay time is about 720ms.

SISKO

hey, thats a very good job!!

Im wondering if anyone has a PT2399 wich dont have a use.. I cant get it here in Argentina for a rasonable price. I could trade it for germanium or something similar. ( yes, i know i should post it on the trade subforum)
--Is there any body out there??--

Painkiller

http://www.banzaieffects.com/search.php?mode=search

Don't know if they ship to Argentina, but that's where I buy all my parts.

caress

would it be possible to add an LED indicator for the LFO?

slacker

Shouldn't be too hard to add an LED to the LFO. You might just be able to hook up a current limiting resistor and LED to pin 1 of U1 or if that doesn't work hook a simple transistor buffer up to pin 1 and run the LED off that.

Jim Jones

Just found this project - it looks great!

Just wanted to ask how you found your guitar signal was affected when in "bypass" mode.  My hearing is shot so it's hilarious how things I shouldn't hear drive me totally crazy.  :)    For example I hate the buffering in Boss pedals so much I can ony use them with a bypass box, yet for some reason the buffering in the Bad Monkey doesn't bother me in the slightest. Any insights on the 4066?

Thanks!

Jim

Edit!  As a previous poster mentioned, it would be easy enough to true bypass it but keep the SPST to allow the "trails", which is a very cool idea by the way.  Great pedal!

slacker

Quote from: Jim Jones on November 21, 2007, 02:57:01 PM
Just found this project - it looks great!

I think the buffer is pretty transparent, I can't hear any real difference compared with guitar straight to amp.
The pedal has an input impedance of over 1Meg, the low frequency roll off is about 7Hz and the high frequency roll off is just under 16Khz so it definitely doesn't tone suck.
The 4066s are only in the delayed signal path the clean signal doesn't go through them.

Jim Jones

Quote from: slacker on November 21, 2007, 06:33:01 PM
The 4066s are only in the delayed signal path the clean signal doesn't go through them.

Well then - I best get on it!  Thanks again!!

Jim

slacker

Thanks for doing that Michael, it looks great. Anyone fancy etching me one up?