Echo Base - a new PT2399 delay

Started by slacker, August 27, 2007, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppatchmods

Thanks Slacker! You talked me down from the ledge! :-\ I'll give it a go and see what happens.
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

Auke Haarsma

Well, it is not 100% Echo Base... but...

I added the LFO section of the Echo Base to my PT-80 and man... AWESOME. What a great addition!

Thanks Ian!

Auke Haarsma

Here's a pic, as you see I made a PCB for the LFO-section:

John Lyons

Anyone have any additional soundclips for the Echo Base?
I'd like to add some to my site here.
Clips with the modulation in context would be nice.
Keep em under 1MB please.
Let me know.
thanks!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Tuemmueh

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on September 26, 2008, 02:17:38 PM
Here's a pic, as you see I made a PCB for the LFO-section:

Great! Would you mind to share the layout, as I'm interested in combining the PT-80 with the LFO (and the trail-able-switching also ... but that's another story ;))

Auke Haarsma

Sure, I'll prepare the layout and post it any time soon.

Auke Haarsma

Here is the PCB to use the EchoBase LFO section on a PT-80 delay. I am pretty sure it will work on a Rebote as well, but I have not tried that.

Just the PCB, size is correct if printed at 600 dpi:

And the layout:

jimosity

How do I wire it up to have an external feedback loop?
Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com

Valoosj

Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Barcode80

so i built one and it sounds great. i built another and though the led switches on and off (which i assume means both the mechanical switch and the 4066 chip are functioning) i get no delay signal. I can also tell the LFO is working because i hear the faint ticking in the background which changes as i increase the rate pot. so here are my thoughts on possible causes:

1) fried pt2399 - i don't think so, but maybe
2) fried tl072 - same as above
3) i've increased the feedback resistor to 30k, which i'm wondering if it may be too high to allow feedback. i don't think this is it either, as i have a momentary switch wired in that puts a 10k in parallel with it, thus causing (at least on my working unit) endless oscillation when functioning. this switch isn't functioning on the new unit.

ideas?

Auke Haarsma

do you get any sound at pint 14,15 of the PT2399?

Barcode80

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on October 08, 2008, 08:39:50 AM
do you get any sound at pint 14,15 of the PT2399?
actually, i found it. apparently the voltage regulator was bad and not supplying enough juice to the pt2399. replaced it and now i'm delaying like crazy. :)

audioguy

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on September 26, 2008, 06:02:54 PM
Here is the PCB to use the EchoBase LFO section on a PT-80 delay.

What IC are you using, and have you tried it on a Rebote yet?

slacker

A TL072 will work fine for the IC. It will work on any of the PT2399 based delays.

audioguy

Cool I'll have to give it a shot!

mth5044

Hey, I don't this this was discussed yet, but does the bypass switch have any kind of signal going through it that would be degredated if it was put through a long amount of wire? I'm gonna house this into a box to put ontop of my amp, and I was going to put a remote switch down on the floor via a stereo 3.5mm chord. I haven't really studied the circuit, but I see its coming from a 4066, which I think is used for switching. So as I'm writing this I'm guessing the bypass switch is momentary too? Eh I guess I'll go reread the 15 pages  :icon_redface:

zyxwyvu

Quote from: mth5044 on October 08, 2008, 09:09:15 PM
Hey, I don't this this was discussed yet, but does the bypass switch have any kind of signal going through it that would be degredated if it was put through a long amount of wire? I'm gonna house this into a box to put ontop of my amp, and I was going to put a remote switch down on the floor via a stereo 3.5mm chord. I haven't really studied the circuit, but I see its coming from a 4066, which I think is used for switching. So as I'm writing this I'm guessing the bypass switch is momentary too? Eh I guess I'll go reread the 15 pages  :icon_redface:

You should be able to run the bypass cable through a pretty long cable without any problems. The switch is latching, not momentary.

hendrix2489

hello everyone, after looking through all 15 pages, i decided im definitely building this awesome effect.  after looking through im going to build it with a waveshape pot, changing feedback resistor to around 100k, hook up a current limiting resistor and LED to pin 1 of U1 for lfo indicator, and hopefully hook up another pot and switch to switch between short and long delays. does this sound correct, how would i hook up the long/short switch thanks.

Alex S.

slacker

Quote from: mth5044 on October 08, 2008, 09:09:15 PM
...and I was going to put a remote switch down on the floor via a stereo 3.5mm chord. I haven't really studied the circuit, but I see its coming from a 4066, which I think is used for switching. So as I'm writing this I'm guessing the bypass switch is momentary too? Eh I guess I'll go reread the 15 pages  :icon_redface:

That will work fine, the audio signal doesn't go anywhere near the switch. The bypass stomp controls a transistor switch which then switches the 4066 that turns the delay on and off. The switch is latching.

Quote from: hendrix2489 on October 09, 2008, 11:06:04 AM
...and hopefully hook up another pot and switch to switch between short and long delays. does this sound correct, how would i hook up the long/short switch thanks.

I'd do it like this. Put the second pot in series with the original one, wired the same way. Then use a SPDT switch and connect the middle lug to where the pots join and the outer lugs to the outside of the pots, like this

Pin6----1---Pot-2--Pot--3--    Numbers are switch lugs

That way the will change between the 2 pot values without any break in the connection.