Echo Base - a new PT2399 delay

Started by slacker, August 27, 2007, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kierc

I'm loving mine, but it's quite noisy...
I'm running it off a 9v battery inside the enclosure, could this be why?

Everything seems to work as it should, just noisy, both bypassed and engaged - also the LFO still bleeds through when bypassed even though I added the 2.2uF...

ShortScaleMike

What type of caps did you use around the PT2399?

edd29

mine is working perfect after reading all this page.
debugging and modified. I put dry/wet signal ,changing two 47k
and 200n connected to feedback. and now i can control the feedback
all the way up.  the blend is really cool as well you can put to pure delay
to normal guitar signal. Many Many THANKS to SLACKER!

kierc

@ ShortscaleMike

I used those little yellow box caps, 1 ceramic, and the electro's were either miniature or micro-miniatures (all from Rapid)

Could the yellow boxes just not be good in delays or something?

Auke Haarsma

If you have a bleed of the wet signal which you can, albeit softly, hear in bypass, what is the first place to look/modify?

ShortScaleMike

Quote from: kierc on April 11, 2009, 08:22:12 AM
@ ShortscaleMike

I used those little yellow box caps, 1 ceramic, and the electro's were either miniature or micro-miniatures (all from Rapid)

Could the yellow boxes just not be good in delays or something?

I dunno, I used mainly WIMAs and mine is very quiet.

All finished in fact, thanks again slacker and all for their input in this thread.

I was going for a two tone metallic finish with Green for the Delay section and Blue for the Modulation.

JKowalski

Quote from: kierc on April 10, 2009, 09:37:18 AM
I'm loving mine, but it's quite noisy...
I'm running it off a 9v battery inside the enclosure, could this be why?

Everything seems to work as it should, just noisy, both bypassed and engaged - also the LFO still bleeds through when bypassed even though I added the 2.2uF...

Batteries will actually give less noise, providing they are new and giving out a nice and healthy 9V.

jimosity

I know it's been discussed many times in this thread; but can someone give a comprehensive post, with hopefully a wiring diagram showing an effects loop in the Echo Base?

I had went thru the entire thread and made a bunch of notes about it where I saw it mentioned, but now lost the notes and am not looking forward to going thru all that again.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know there's two different places that the loop can be placed, so a good explanation of each place would be appreciated as well.
Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com

kierc

hmm  ???

May have to check all the grounding then? The battery is fresh out of a packet ( a Woolworths one in fact! was saving it to sell for profit but I wanted to test this out lol )

I did use all single-core wire though, and it was a pretty tight squash into a BB...

Click thumbs for better size

The wires on the solder-side are for the 2.2uF to stop the LFO bleed when bypassed - but for some reason it doesn't work! (same as without it - still bleeds through)

ShortScaleMike

Mine is solid-core wire too, it's all I use for pedals.

Here is a demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNlSsMIK0s4

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: kierc on April 10, 2009, 09:37:18 AM
- also the LFO still bleeds through when bypassed even though I added the 2.2uF...

Raise the 2.2uF till you find a quite value. I just figured out 100uF (yup, one hundred uF) works for me.

Auke Haarsma

well, just raised even further...470uF. And it does have an effect on the modulation. Kind of like it.

kierc

Quote from: ShortScaleMike on April 18, 2009, 02:44:47 PM

Here is a demo video:

Ah it's you!! lol

I've seen quite a few of your demo videos, keep doing the good work  ;)

Gonna have a poke around when I have some spare time, I'm not too bothered about it though as I mostly just play clean, but like to have some fun now and then  8)

edit : after listening to your demo - yours sounds alot better than mine  :( ( well the first 3 mins anyway - my net is too slow at the moment to load it all! )

ShortScaleMike

Quote from: kierc on April 18, 2009, 04:16:59 PM
Quote from: ShortScaleMike on April 18, 2009, 02:44:47 PM

Here is a demo video:

Ah it's you!! lol

I've seen quite a few of your demo videos, keep doing the good work  ;)

Gonna have a poke around when I have some spare time, I'm not too bothered about it though as I mostly just play clean, but like to have some fun now and then  8)

edit : after listening to your demo - yours sounds alot better than mine  :( ( well the first 3 mins anyway - my net is too slow at the moment to load it all! )

haha Cheers man. I'll keep demoing stuff as I come across it. Unfortunately after an initial flurry of stuff I owned at the time and could borrow now I can only demo as I buy/sell/build which is pretty slow. I've become boringly satisfied with my setup!

I'm sure you'll figure out what's wrong with it, sometimes it's just worth walking away from it for a while, but I know how hard that can be.

Taylor

Quote from: jimosity on April 18, 2009, 01:44:34 PM
I know it's been discussed many times in this thread; but can someone give a comprehensive post, with hopefully a wiring diagram showing an effects loop in the Echo Base?

I had went thru the entire thread and made a bunch of notes about it where I saw it mentioned, but now lost the notes and am not looking forward to going thru all that again.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I know there's two different places that the loop can be placed, so a good explanation of each place would be appreciated as well.

I concluded that the best spot was before pin 14. The point where the 4n7 meets the 10k and 47k at the top right of the schem. The 4n7 is the send. You can wire up a DPTP to bypass the loop, or switching jacks if you like.

This way should make each repeat more effected, the first repeat will be effected, and also the level going into the loop should be tamer than the other way. My Echo Base isn't done yet, so I can't say how well this works yet.

jimosity

Quote from: Taylor on April 18, 2009, 08:57:24 PM

I concluded that the best spot was before pin 14. The point where the 4n7 meets the 10k and 47k at the top right of the schem. The 4n7 is the send. You can wire up a DPTP to bypass the loop, or switching jacks if you like.

This way should make each repeat more effected, the first repeat will be effected, and also the level going into the loop should be tamer than the other way. My Echo Base isn't done yet, so I can't say how well this works yet.

Thanks man, I'll try that here shortly.
Are you saying make 4n7 the send before it goes to the resistors or before it goes to pin 14?
I'm thinking you mean that it sends from the 4n7 before it goes to the 10k and 47k and the return comes back in to those two resistors; correct?
Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com

Taylor

Yep, that's right, the return is the junction of those 2 resistors.

jimosity

Quote from: Taylor on April 18, 2009, 08:57:24 PM

Just wired it up this way and can confirm that each repeat does NOT get more and more effected.
With this wiring; the direct signal goes thru and then the first repeat is effected and all repeats after are the same as the first repeat.
I tested with an octave pedal in the loop and all repeats are the same octave pitch; not gradually going up or down as I had hoped.
Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com

kristoffereide

Does anyone have a perf-layout with the mods?

Or can anyone make one?

I'd do it myself, but my layout-making skills are few and I just follow the schematic so the layout turns out HUGE!

Quote from: biggy boy on April 12, 2009, 06:22:33 PM
I find it funny how I can have close to 1000 components, yet I never seem to have enough parts to make a project. :icon_eek:

jimosity

OK - I just verified two more things;

1) Where the feedback pot lug 2 connects to the board; there's a 20K resistor.  Replacing with a 100K resistor tames the feedback pot so that it doesn't oscillate as quick and is much more controllable; this was mentioned early in the thread, but I wanted to bring it up again since it does help the oscillation too early issue I was having.

2) To add the WET effects loop (each repeat is more effected) - take the wire from lug 2 of the feedback pot and it goes to the tip of your SEND, then the tip of your RETURN goes to where lug 2 would have gone on the board.
**This version of the wet loop gives you one normal repeat and then each subsequent repeat is more and more effected.  This is NOT the mod where the first repeat is effected.

I added shunting jacks and am using both the dry loop and wet loop for some real insanity.   Another delay in the wet loop with a slapback delay almost turns into a reverb sort of effect that kicks in around the third or fourth repeat...  I tried a second delay in the dry loop and a third delay in the wet loop and my mind started to turn to mush...
Then I crammed it all back into the box and now I'm only getting one repeat no matter what on my feedback loop so I need to do a little troubleshooting before I do much else.

Starting to think I need a larger enclosure....
Check it out (CLICK HERE)

I use PCB layouts; so I can't give you a perf layout; but heres the layout that I used showing the mods...
I  know there's two different versions of the anonfacecow layout; but this is the one I've used a couple times without any problems, so I keep using it.

Here's the layout with the change to give you send/receive for the dry loop mod; since there's no traces needing cut for the wet loop mod, no layout change is needed for that mod.

Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com