Echo Base - a new PT2399 delay

Started by slacker, August 27, 2007, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kristoffereide

Quote from: biggy boy on April 12, 2009, 06:22:33 PM
I find it funny how I can have close to 1000 components, yet I never seem to have enough parts to make a project. :icon_eek:

kristoffereide

Quote from: jimosity on April 19, 2009, 12:36:10 PM

Starting to think I need a larger enclosure....
Check it out (CLICK HERE)

you sure like your delays! How would I connect these two loops? Would it not be better with a toggleswitch to choose between the dry/wet? or?
I find it funny how I can have close to 1000 components, yet I never seem to have enough parts to make a project. :icon_eek:

jimosity

Quote from: kristoffereide on April 19, 2009, 12:55:48 PM
Quote from: jimosity on April 19, 2009, 12:36:10 PM

Starting to think I need a larger enclosure....
Check it out (CLICK HERE)

you sure like your delays! How would I connect these two loops? Would it not be better with a toggleswitch to choose between the dry/wet? or?

I suppose you could do it with a toogle, but I wanted to be able to use both at the same time with different effects in each loop; so I chose to keep them separate.
I'm using shunting jacks so that when nothing is connected; it's just as if the loops were not there at all.

To wire the shunting jacks; I've got them like this:

Wire from SEND on board (or pot depending on which mod you're doing) goes to the TIP of the shunting jack, which will be your SEND jack.
Wire from RETURN on board goes to the TIP of the RETURN jack, which is just a standard mono jack.
There is a second wire between the RETURN jack TIP an the shunting pin of the SEND jack.
The shield of both the send and return jacks has no connection to them at all.

Like this:

Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com

kristoffereide

oh, yes I understand how to wire the pedal, but I was thinking about the connection of the loops. What pedals do you have in the dry loop, and what pedals in the wet? I guess you have the pedal on at all times?

ppatchmods

not sure if this has been covered, but i want to add an expression pedal jack to 2 of the pots. I want to use the same jack and switch between them via toggle. what type of toggle would i use? maybe a dpdt or 3pdt? i was thinking the speed pot and either the delay time or mix pot. thanks
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

kierc

Well I've checked all the grounding - that seems fine...

I've also upped the 2.2uF (for the LFO bleed) to 100uF, and then to 220uF - still bleeds and still very noisy both engaged and bypassed  ???

The modulation doesn't sound as good as ShortScaleMikes', so could a chip be bad? I have some spare PT2399's, don't think I have any of the others spare though...

Also, I couldn't get a hold of some 100K Logs, so I used Lins with a resistor across pins 1 and 2 (wiper and right - looking at it from the back) - the pots are the green plastic ones from Rapid aswell - could these be causing it?

slacker

What sort of noise is it?
In "bypass" there shouldn't be any noise, I would remove the CD4066, PT2399 and the LFO opamp and see if the noise goes away. If it does plug them back in one at a time and see when the noise comes back, that will give you an idea what's causing it.
If it's still noisy with those removed you've either got a dodgy opamp in the buffer/mixer or you've got a more serious problem possibly incorrect component values somewhere.
Voltages would help :)

jimosity

I've got an Echo Base that is not getting any LFO at all.
It's liketh Mod Depth acts as a "fine tune" for the delay time and the Mod Speed does nothing.
Any ideas?
Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com

jimosity

Quote from: jimosity on April 23, 2009, 10:11:20 PM
I've got an Echo Base that is not getting any LFO at all.
It's liketh Mod Depth acts as a "fine tune" for the delay time and the Mod Speed does nothing.
Any ideas?

Turned out to be a flaky TL072, replaced and works just fine.
I love how I keep answering my own questions!  HA!
Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com

slacker

kierc

I done what you suggested Slacker, except I remebered it wrong and removed all but the LFO chip  :icon_rolleyes: lol

Anyway, it went pretty quiet, and stayed the same after I had replaced the chips, bar the PT2399, so I put a different one in and it's now pretty much there  :)

ALOT better now! Might try and replace the LFO chip with a spare and see if the modulation gets any better...

Thanks for the great help and for your project  8)

Taylor

I perfed one of these, it didn't work, and I decided that debugging such a cramped circuit on perf was a nightmare. So I got a couple of PCBs made, made one up, and it worked on first power-up.

This thing is so much fun. The effects loop I added (thanks to Jimosity) is awesome. I have a Ring Stinger ring mod in the loop, so each repeat is more ring modulated. A lot of settings of the RS are too noisy with this approach, but when I get it dialed in right, and figure out the magic notes to play, it becomes this insane alien arpeggiator sound.

I've never had an analog-style delay before, only purely digital, and I have to say I really like the sound, even if this is not actually analog. Cranking the repeats and fiddling with feedback time, then trying tremolo in the loop, I can get all kinds of weird synth sounds without even playing anything on my instrument.

Nice job, Slacker! Also thanks to John Lyons for the nice boards - after perfing a ton of stuff, it's so luxurious to build on a really nice PCB.

Sweetalk

Nice Job Slacker!, I'm using the LFO driving a Rebote (I like the filtering from the rebote), i'm trying to use it as a chorus but I have a problem:

With the Time pot on 0 (short delay for chorus effect) when I power the pedal it doesn't work. If I turn the Depth pot all the way up to the maximum modulation the pedal works perfect or if I set the delay time a little up, like a slapback time or something like that. In any other point of the pot the pedal doesn't start. It's really anoying being a couple of hours setting the depth, speed and delay time for the perfect sound and then have to move it arround for the pedal to work. :icon_neutral:.

I've checked all the traces, shorts, bad soldering, layout, components (replaced IC's, used TL072, LM358, replaced BC560, checked the orientation for the transistor, etc, etc, etc). I have no idea what can be, any ideas??

Sweetalk

I'm now using TL072 for the LFO. I put a 1N4148 in series with the LFO Output to pin 6 (anode to pin 6), worked fine for a while and then again the same problem. Any ideas?

Vitrolin

i would like to know what could be a suitable replacement for the CD4066 since i cant find it in my local electronic store. :icon_sad:
thanx

Lurco

jimosity

I had posted in an earlier thread about where the dry loop and wet loops are located; indicating that I had tested these locations and verified that they work where I said.
Seems I may have mistaken the dry loop.  I had said it was this:

"I concluded that the best spot was before pin 14. The point where the 4n7 meets the 10k and 47k at the top right of the schem. The 4n7 is the send. You can wire up a DPTP to bypass the loop, or switching jacks if you like."

I had tested this with a distortion unit and an octave unit in the dry loop and each repeat was dirty and nasty, so I thought that was from the distortion or the crappy octave unit in the loop; assuming that it was working correctly.
HOWEVER;  It seem that I was mistaken, it was giving harsh distorted repeats at this location no matter what effect was in the loop.

I probed around and found another good spot to put the return (the send is in the same spot and the trace is still cut where indicated).
See the updated graphic below, just tapping the return at the same spot as the 100n and 100k (change from original value to tame feedback pot) gives a good dry loop.

Jim Rodgers
jim@americanhc.com

Slade

Hello again,
I just want to talk about an issue with the "delay version" of this pedal, I mean the echobase without modulation, removing the LFO and changing the 39 K r for 100 Ohm r. I have built this "version" and tried it in a Fender Sidekick Reverb amp and it has a lot of "hiss" noise. I really don't know where the hiss can come from.. Is there anybody that have built this version of the pedal with the same problem?
Thanks.

slacker

If all you have done is remove the LFO it should sound exactly the same as the normal version, there's no reason why it should hiss.

Slade

Yes, that's all I did. I think ther could be a problem with the amp.. I',m gonna try it in another amp.