Echo Base - a new PT2399 delay

Started by slacker, August 27, 2007, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slade

Quote from: FlyingZ on October 07, 2009, 12:52:41 PM
Sorry for my laziness in not reading the post. Is there a version without the mod section but with a nice tone control on the repeats?
I'm just working on a TBP version of the pedal with a repeats tone control, something like a "Echo-based Rebote".
I just need to know what should I do with the coupling capacitors of the circuit when taking out the CD4066. I'm doing it by comparing the echobase with the rebote 2.5 schematic, and the coupling capacitors are the only ones that get me in doubt. I'd appreciate some help with this. Thanks!

mth5044

Anybody know what would cause the depth pot to act as a minimum delay time pot  ???  It seems like the depth kind of changes over the sweep, but it's hard to tell. Unfortuantly, I don't have my DMM with me (forgot the box it was in  :'() and I haven't replaced any parts yet because I'm not sure what to start with. I'm pretty sure nothing is shorting out with it though, as I've had everything out of the box and it still has the same effect.

Any ideas I can try before putting on my surgical mask?

Thanks  :)

mth5044

Tried the 10uF cap on the depth pot and it does wonders.

Strange part is though, that in the first enclosure I had this in I didn't notice it. Oh well. Love it.

lucasventura

Hello everybody!

This layout is correct or is there a mistake? I can build the Eco Base this file?

http://chawk.wordpress.com/files/2008/02/echo_base_pcb.pdf

Thanks everyone

lucasventura

sinner

Quote from: lucasventura on October 26, 2009, 03:03:02 PM
Please answer me!!!

Quote from: DWBH on August 06, 2008, 06:58:55 PM
Is the schematic on the first page 100% correct?

Quote from: slacker on August 07, 2008, 01:08:43 PM

Yes, it's correct. The version in my layout gallery had a few pin numbering errors on the 2 opamps but I've corrected that now as well.

read the topic, it's only 37 pages ;)

Cheers

The sound comes from the player, not the equipment. You can get a wonderfully heavy guitar tone with a Telecaster and a Twin Reverb...

jacobyjd

Quick question (for anyone): Say I wanted to run several Echo Bases in parallel (for instance, if I was trying to simulate a tape delay...); could I use one LFO and mod depth pot (as shown on the schem) to drive multiple BC560s without any resistance changes, or would I have to make some sort of buffered splitter for the LFO signal?

Additionally, I know I've seen this question elsewhere, but my search-fu is weak: I should be ok with running multiple pt2399s off the same 5v regulator, correct? Just trying to pare down my parts count.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

lucasventura

Major Slacker! First, I would like to congratulate you for the project that has impacted the world: the Echo Base. You are very intelligent. I would love to have the privilege to be able to have all this capacity. How do you prove to be a very thoughtful guy with the staff of the forum, I would like to know how you do to separate and understand the filters used by many pedals. Let me explain myself better. I've tried to design a pedal. But my greatest difficulty is knowing how to design filters. For example, in circuits
  as its the beginning of the circuit has a low-pass filter, correct me if I'm wrong. Then I always get doubts cruel taking my night's sleep (shuhaush). How often the filter lets the guitar's signal pass, with signal fidelity, which filter to use and why to use?

Anyway, I'm your fan same guy. I would like you to recommend me, please, a bibliography or material on the Internet. The addresses on the internet that you wont to use to design the fantastic Echo Base.

Please help me Slacker. Sorry to bother you.

Luke Ventura

kcinternetkc

Sorry to bug you with this actually, but i'm really interesting in building this pedal.
but i just started and i have no idea how to wire up all the pots and the 3pdt switch.
could someone please show me using Aron's stripboard scheme?

thnx in advance.
-Kc

turing

ok, going to finally get into building this puppy, but would love to have a wet/dry blend option. has anyone done a layout incorporating that? been trawling through this mammoth thread but can't see any such thing yet. a switch to kill the dry signal, or a blend pot woud be amazing.
many thanks

compuwade

I just finished building this project yesterday, and I must say, this is a very awesome effect!!! I mostly just wanted to say thank you to all who were involved with creating and then tweaking this awesome sounding circuit. so......

THANK YOU!!!  ;D

-Wade

ancarano

Hi guys, i've finished the Echo Base, and it works good... except for the Feedback control.
When i start to control the feeback, the delay tails are regulated well, but it goes soon in loop (at about 1/3 of the total regulation range) and produces just noise with an increase of volume that dies only if I cut off the feedback with the pot.
This happens also if I do not play any note with the guitar... it goes in loop just controlling the feedback pot over.

i hope my english will help you to understand my problem... if not, i can post an audio sample of the problem  ;D

compuwade

If you change the 20k resistor on the wiper of the feedback control to something more like 100k-150k you'll get better control before it starts to self oscillate. I changed mine to a 150k and it doesn't start to self oscillate until the control is at the max setting. This works good for me.

I hope this helps!

ancarano

Compuwade, thanks for your reply.
With your help now the feedback works well (with a resistor of 200k about, taken with a trimmer of 220k max), but now I've the same problem when I set at the max value both the mod-speed and time pots.
Can I solve the problem as the feedback, replacing some resistor?

...but what I think is: why I must change those resistor if other people don't do it? perhaps there's a problem with the circuit?

Thank you so much!

ancarano

Sorry guys, i made a little bit of confusion with pots in the last post.

The problem is with TIME and mod.DEPTH: when time is at the max control range, as I control the depth it starts to self oscillate, at about 1/10 of the pot's total range (so i couldn't hear the tremolo effect very clear).
I think I can solve the problem as the feedback, changing the 220R resistor with a trimmer of more resistance (about 100k?)
... what do you think?

compuwade

I haven't had this problem, so I really can't help. I would start by making sure all the resistors are the proper value and that all the solder joints are connected properly. It could be that you have a few components soldered wrong.

ancarano

I don't know what to do...  ???
I've checked all the components, all the solders, all the wires, all the pots, all the values... it seems to be ok, I cant' understand where's is the problem.
I tried to put a trimmer after the 270k but the problem is still there.

Here you can download a little sample I've made. At about 30s you could hear the oscillations.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BBJ52C6W

compuwade

For some reason I can't download the file. If you could post the solder side of your board that would be helpful.

ancarano

here it is: package .rar with photo and the layout i used.
I hope you will easily understand what I've done, if not... ask me :D

thank you

http://www.filefront.com/15038799/echo%20base.rar

McGyver

I finished mine, but I can't make it work  >:( . The only thig that it do is a little signal with low volume and no delay.
I look to the traces a long time and I test the IC's and transistors:

CD4066  pedal ON__________________4066 pedal OFF
Originals__________ Mine__________Originals____________Mine
1. 4.6v____________2.89v____________4.6v_____________2.89v
2. 4.6v____________2.89v____________4.6v_____________2.89v
3. 0.4v____________0v______________0.4v ______________0v
4. 0.4v____________0v______________0.4v_______________0v
5. 0v______________0v______________0 v  _______________0v
6.4.5v____________0.78v____________0.45v _____________0.15v
7. 0_______________0________________0       ____________ 0
8. 9v____________1.89v_____________9v    _____________ 8.64v
9. 3v____________1.82v____________0.32v _______________ 0
10. 4.6v__________2.89v____________4.6v______________2.02v
11. 4.6v__________2.89v____________4.6v______________2.04v         
12. 8.5v_________ 8.35v ____________1.25v____________1.92v   
13. 8.5v__________7.25v____________1.25v ____________7.14v
14. 9v____________8.84v____________9v  ______________ 8.71v

U3 (NE5532):
Originals_________Mine
1. 5v ____________5.53v
2. 5v____________4.47v
3. 5v____________5.02v
4. 0_____________0     
5. 5v____________5.02v
6. 5v____________5.02v
7. 5v____________4.52v
8. 9v____________8.82v

U1 (NE5532) LFO:
Originals____________Mine
1. changes____________5.25v
2. 5v________________5.02v 
3. 5v _______________ 5.02v
4. 0.8v ______________1.23v
5. changes ___________4.48v
6. 5v ________________5.02v
7. changes____________5.02v
8. 8v_________________7.53v

PT2399
Originals____________Mine
1. 5v________________5.02v
2. 2.5v______________2.5v
3. 0 _________________0
4. 0  ________________0
5. 2.89v ____________3.09v
6. 2.5v ____________2.5v
7. 0.5v ____________changes between 2.8 & 2.9v
8. 0.5 v____________changes between 2.9 & 3v
9 to 16.all 2.5v_______2.5v all

Transistors:
bypass: I use 2N3904 replace to 2N5089. ON: E. 0v B. 0v C. 8.3v.
                                                           OFF: E. 0v B. 0.66v C. 1.64v.
BC560: ON & OFF:  E. 0v B. 1.97v  C. 2.5v.

Pictures:

Thanks I hope you can help me!
Greetings!