Echo Base - a new PT2399 delay

Started by slacker, August 27, 2007, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poodlebra

hope someone is watching this as i'm going crazy...

built this today, and i'm getting no joy from it at all. nothing. i've checked every track and i've got no breaks or jumps.

i'm getting 2.9V across the battery when hooked up to the circuit, and same on the input of the voltage reg. any ideas at all what could be dropping the voltage down so heavily?
Quality, cheap pedal parts, because the Poodle cares.
Germanium cans and diodes, PCBs, Full Stompbox Kits, UK's cheapest 3PDT:
http://www.pedalparts.co.uk/

Barcode80

Sounds like a bum battery. Once you measured at the battery itself, you eliminated the significance of any voltage drop. If you are getting that little voltage across the battery, you have a dead battery.

Tony Forestiere

@poodlebra
It might be best to open a new thread with this issue for a better response. This first post of yours is buried 49 pages deep in an older thread. I would also check out the sticky "DEBUGGING-What to do when it doesn't work" at the top, and be prepared with voltage readings and other pertinent information.
Welcome to this place.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

poodlebra

thanks for the responses. tried three batteries (that's why i was so puzzled). i'll repost as suggested, and maybe try with a wallwart too, though plugging things into walls when they don't work always gives me the heebygeebies.

slacker

If the voltage is dropping before the regulator then you have something causing a partial short. This could be a small bit of solder between tracks,  an incorrect component value or a bad IC. If you've used sockets remove all the chips and then measure the voltage on the input and output of the regulator, if you now get 9 volts and 5 volts, then replace the chips one by one. Hopefully that will show you if one of the chips is bad.
If the voltage is still wrong with all the chips removed then you need to check all the places that should have 9 volts to see if you can find the short. If that fails to fix it then the regulator could be bad.

poodlebra

i did find a 4.7k that was in instead of a 47k between 11-14 on the pt2399. voltage now down to .65V!

i disconnected pin 3 of the regulator and it then measures 9v/5v fine, so it's something after that.

measuring .65 with all the trannies and chips removed, so must be a dodgy component somewhere. i've been over and over the tracks and can't find any short. bummer.

may just rebuild it slower and more carefully.

poodlebra

aha. after much examination i found i'd missed the trace cut next to R26. Idiot. now i just need to find out why i'm getting a distorted mush. maybe i've fried the chips with my slap-dashery. have to wait for new ones arriving to test.

rmachado

Does anyone have the diagram schematic version of the FETs of DimebaG?
Besides not using the 4066, the board is smaller.
Thanks and sorry my english!

rmachado

The correct name of the member who made the PCB is DimebuGG, anyone have the schematic diagram of the PCB it?
The PCB not uses the 4066, but JFETs.
Follow the link to the PCB:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b38ce0b/n/echobase.PDF
This link is on page 45, posted by DimebuGG.
Thank you and sorry for my english.

mattthegamer463

My successful cram-creation.  Used Anonymousfacelesscoward's ultra-dense PCB to stuff this thing into a 1590B-equivalent box.  Great pedal, thanks for the work Slacker.

Anyone find theirs oscillates like crazy when the repeat knob is past about 25%?  I don't mind, it doesn't occur below that and it sounds pretty cool sometimes, before it gets mega-distorted.

Hope you guys like.

rmachado

Wow, i like this, it looks great!
Perfect!
What was the PCB that you used?
Thanks.

mattthegamer463

Quote from: rmachado on February 08, 2011, 09:09:03 PM
Wow, i like this, it looks great!
Perfect!
What was the PCB that you used?
Thanks.

Anonymousfacelesscoward made a tiny layout in DIYLC, about as dense as possible.  Its in here somewhere.

rmachado

I looked over the 49 pages and not found ...
Maybe my eyes tired ...
If you think the diagram schematic and PCB layout, post here.
Thanks!

Scruffie

Quote from: rmachado on February 08, 2011, 10:01:57 PM
I looked over the 49 pages and not found ...
Maybe my eyes tired ...
If you think the diagram schematic and PCB layout, post here.
Thanks!
This is gunna annoy you after 49 pages of searching but... First search result for Echo Base PCB
http://chawk.wordpress.com/files/2008/02/echo_base_pcb.pdf
;)

rmachado

Ok "Scruffie", but do not think this layout has been used in ecobase by "mattthegamer" ...
I searching for the schematic diagram of the board "DimebuGG".
Thanks and sorry my english.

Scruffie

Quote from: rmachado on February 09, 2011, 12:40:51 AM
Ok "Scruffie", but do not think this layout has been used in ecobase by "mattthegamer" ...
I searching for the schematic diagram of the board "DimebuGG".
Thanks and sorry my english.
He said he used
QuoteAnonymousfacelesscoward's
layout, which is what that is, DumbuGGs layout is a couple of pages back though if you want it.

rmachado

Ok Scruffie, I saw the PCB DimebuGG two pages, I want the "schematic diagram" or "eletrical diagram", How do you prefer.
Thanks.

tasos

Quote from: rmachado on February 09, 2011, 11:58:24 AM
Ok Scruffie, I saw the PCB DimebuGG two pages, I want the "schematic diagram" or "eletrical diagram", How do you prefer.
Thanks.
http://www.eskimo.plus.com/fxstuff/echobase.png

hey guys...this is of topic but i need some help...has anyone built rebote 2.5 from tonepad?

rmachado

Someone already made a two delay with PT2399 to increase the length of delay time? (no moduçaões only delay).
There is a PCB??
thanks.

transmission

Hello all,

I've been meaning to dive into another pedal build for a while now and the Echo Base is calling my name. Since I'd be getting mad custom anyway, I was wondering if it's possible to mod the thing to play back the repeats at twice the speed at the flick of a toggle. Some pedals have this feature and the resulting cascading octaves are ultra psychedelic. If it can't be done, i'll probably just add an effects loop and stick a pitch shifter in, but it would be kind of nice to have it all self contained.