Echo Base - a new PT2399 delay

Started by slacker, August 27, 2007, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker

No I'm afraid you can't make it do that. You can switch between two different delay setting using 2 delay time pots or preset resistors,  but that won't do the cascading octaves thing, it will just change the pitch once when you switch and will probably sound pretty messy.

An effects loop with a pitch shifter would be the only way to do what you want.

Welcome to the forum :)

transmission

Quote from: slacker on February 14, 2011, 12:55:46 PM
No I'm afraid you can't make it do that. You can switch between two different delay setting using 2 delay time pots or preset resistors,  but that won't do the cascading octaves thing, it will just change the pitch once when you switch and will probably sound pretty messy.

An effects loop with a pitch shifter would be the only way to do what you want.

Welcome to the forum :)

Alas, you can't always get what you want! Oh well, the effects loop will probably be more versatile. I'm excited nonetheless.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

rmachado

Hello everyone.
I made a delay with 2 - PT2399 utilizing information here forum, it worked very well.
In the link below, put the schematic and board design, done in a primitive program ...
If someone is able to improve it, I will be grateful.

http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/lzeppelin/

rotylee

is that 2 pt2399 based on the add on.?
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=60662.msg560977#msg560977

will the tap tempo work with these?

i would like a series echo

delay w modulation into delay with tap tempo.

i have the echobase pcb from Taylor. and the taptation from here. still pondering implementation.

tyronethebig

Dunno about the new stuff but just finished this guy and it sounds awesome! The modulation sounds to me like an army of drunk pacman ghosts...
I'm not, not licking toads!
-Homer

kinski

First off, this is an amazing thread about and amazing circuit. Thanks so much to the creator and everyone else who added their great ideas. I've built a Clari(not) (with a fuzz lift switch and LFO added) a little bit ago. THANKS DOUG! A wonderful circuit, which kind of reminds me of this one, but it can only do one repeat.

Anyway, I'm about to place an order for parts to build the Echo Base. I'm going to use the anonymousfacelesscoward PCB thats been posted here. Pretty excited to slap it all together.

I've read all 50 pages of this thread (!!!), but I'm still unsure about a few mods I'd like to do! If ya'll can deal with me here...I have a few questions...

1. What exactly do I need to do to make this pedal true-bypass? I don't really need the tails after I turn the unit off.
2. How do I add the effects loop that will effect only the delays. I'd like to have it effect the very first delay.
3. LFO WAVE FORM MOD: Is it best to use a 25k or 50k pot?

Thanks for your help! Its much appreciated!

kinski

slacker

Quote from: kinski on February 24, 2011, 12:32:05 AM
1. What exactly do I need to do to make this pedal true-bypass? I don't really need the tails after I turn the unit off.

On any of the Echo Base layouts all you need to do to make it true bypass is leave out the bypass and tails switches and the LED, just don't connect them at all, this turns the effect permanently on. Then just use whatever true bypass wiring method you like.
I don't know if this works on DimebuGG's PCB because he's made quite a few changes to the circuit and I've never seen the schematic.

2. How do I add the effects loop that will effect only the delays. I'd like to have it effect the very first delay.

For effects loop info have a look at my post here http://www.electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39579&postorder=asc&start=375 you probably want option A.

3. LFO WAVE FORM MOD: Is it best to use a 25k or 50k pot?

Makes no difference.

kinski

Hey, thanks for the response! I just saw you posted. For some reason, I did not get a notice that there was a response.

Very cool. So, which layout is best to use then? There are so many on here and so many slight variations. Do you recommend one to etch?

kinski

Oh, okay, also, the only info i can find is a schematic. I'll show my complete lack of skills here....I'm awful at reading schematics. Loop A is exactly what I'd want. Its there a layout or or a photo or something? Thanks!

cuthbertg

Many Thanks for this build Slacker - this is my 8th or 9th build, certainly the most complicated and definitley the most rewarding to date!  :icon_biggrin:

However, I do have one issue, it seems that my mod speed is fixed and the pot doesnt do anything - everything else is fine apart from I get white noise showing up in the last two tenths of the level pot (though this is not really a problem for me).

The mod speed pot is wired as shown in the vero layout, and I have tried a new TL072 in U1 to no avail

The U1 voltages are:

1) 4.81
2) 1.87
3) 4.42
4) 0.64
5) 2.28
6) 4.39
7) 1.96
8) 5.35

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

cuthbertg

:icon_redface: Ok, ignore last post - I really must start remembering to clear dead batteries off my workbench!

Many Thanks Slacker!

Cuthbert 'Modulating' Griswold

slacker

Glad you got it working. Looks like you discovered the low battery indicator feature :)

phector2004

I've had this thing built for about a week now and I love it! I didn't know analog delays were this different

Thanks, slacker!

azrael

Quote from: phector2004 on February 28, 2011, 05:47:45 PM
I've had this thing built for about a week now and I love it! I didn't know analog delays were this different

Thanks, slacker!
???

This is a digital one.

phector2004

Digital chip, yes, but in an analog circuit... It behaves differently than those DSP "X repeats, Y ms delay time, Z... etc" 100-parameter digital delays I tried out a while back...

Does it count as analog?  ???

chromesphere

Hi all,

Not sure whats taken me so long to get on the echo base train, but it's made the A list of next builds.

I may be way out of my depth here, but was thinking how cool it would be to have 2 of these boards, and set up some sort of ping pong effect.  Due to the super simple wiring (I assume the bypass is just a open / closed switch for on / off?), i could wire up stereo with this one easily.  My question is though, doing this will not give ping pong, it will just be the same signal to both amps.  But, would something like the daughter board of the small clone, in tonepads mod section work with this idea?  Or am i going up the wrong path with my "out of phase" idea?  Any other simple way to do it? Sorry, im definitely no electronics expert :-)

Thanks for any help / ideas!

Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

azrael

Quote from: phector2004 on March 01, 2011, 05:15:03 PM
Digital chip, yes, but in an analog circuit... It behaves differently than those DSP "X repeats, Y ms delay time, Z... etc" 100-parameter digital delays I tried out a while back...

Does it count as analog?  ???
I don't think so. Usually when people use digital/analog terminology regarding delay pedals, it's referring to a chip. Something that uses a BBD would be analog.

This does sound very analog, though. :)

Taylor

I actually think it's pretty murky when it comes to delay, because BBDs are not even really analog. They are digital in that they are sampled in discrete time, but analog in that the samples are continuous analog voltages. And the PT2399 is generally described as digital, but the sampling technique seems to me to be quite different than a general-purpose DSP chip. So maybe rather than 2 bins, analog and digital, we have a continuum.

tape - BBD - PT2399 - general-purpose DSP

azrael

Fair enough. I was speaking more about how guitarists perceive it, and use the terms, though, ya know? :D