Echo Base - a new PT2399 delay

Started by slacker, August 27, 2007, 04:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Angus

Phew!! Reading this thread was a marathon endeavor, now I'm really pumped to make my echobase. Too bad I ordered the PCB but no PT2399  :icon_evil:

Oh well, a few more days and soon the echopocalypse will be cohmpleeetee  :icon_twisted:
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

villll

Got my echo base boxed and working, it's a great pedal indeed especially with all the mods. However, I'd like to add fx loop and have a dry/wet switch for that. Using this schematic I'm trying to switch between loops for A and B, but how would I do that? Do I need 4PDT for that? Also could it be possible to use on-off-on switch to turn off the loop?

slacker

Yes a 4PDT would work, you would need a separate switch to turn the loop off though an on-off-on would not work. You could use a 4P3T rotary switch to give you A - off - B.

Joseeduardosn

hello, : ;)
I tried to read as much as possible this thread, but since it is in English I is laborious and only I could understand something. :-\
Question: This effect can function as true bypass? :-[
Because I think I read that this could not be done >:( , but I think, if I have the in and out of effect, with a dpdt or 3pdtd not sufficient to enable or disable it?  :icon_razz:
Thanks for your responses.
Greetings from Peru.

Colonel Angus

Echo Base can be wired for true bypass. However, the circuit is designed to function without true bypass. This allows for the "tails" feature, where the effect continues and fades out after switching to bypass mode. I hope that answers your question :)

Joseeduardosn

Thank you.
I understand something. So, I have no problem doing true bypass? Because I like the sound.
I'll do it anyway and for any doubt, count on you.

Vince_b

Like the Colonel said, you can wire it for true bypass but by doing so you will lose the possibility of the "tails" feature. In my opinion, it's a more useful feature than true bypass for this particular pedal.

beatnik

Hi guys,

I've built my second EB but I have some problems with debugging.

What happens is that both in On and Bypass status the unit is not producing a clean sound but just a motorboating noise. The pots are changing the motorboat noise in some way, but I can't get the unit to work.

I post my IC voltages, I hope someone can chime in and give some ideas.

I've already checked components values, pcb traces (no shorts) and all the wiring. The only component substitution i had is a 2N5088 instead of a 2N5089.

Please help me

1   6.75
2   6.75
3   0.93
4   0.55
5   0
6   0.55
7   0
8   8.91
9   0.44
10  7.2 (floating)
11  7.2 (floating)
12  8.72
13  1.39
14  8.91

1   7.87
2   3.92
3   0
4   0
5   4.67
6   3.86
7   4.36
8   0.63
9   3.92
10  3.92
11  3.92
12  3.83
13  3.91
14  7.2 (floating)
15  3.92
16  3.92

1   7.57
2   2.25
3   7.87
4   0.83
5   5.61
6   7.87
7   2.16
8   8.18

1   7.57
2   6.9
3   7.87
4   0
5   7.87
6   7.87
7   7.87
8   9.04

slacker

Your regulator isn't regulating, pin 1 of the PT2399 should be 5 volts. Assuming you've used sockets, remove the PT 2399 and double check that the regulator is in the right way round and that all the connections to it are correct. Check the voltage on pin1 of the PT2399's socket and once you have 5 volts there, insert the PT2399. If you're lucky you haven't killed it  everything should work. If bypass is fine but the delay doesn't work then you've probably fried the PT2399 :(

soloarchitect

I have a question, is it ok to use electrolytics for the 1uf caps? and assuming the stripe side would be soldered to the side that traces to ground?

slacker

There's only one 1uF cap and it should really be non polarised, so use a film cap or a ceramic. Having said that an electrolytic will probably work fine, you can put it in either way round. 

Colonel Angus

Sorry to paste this from another thread, but I could use some input:

Okay, heres a weird one... I want to trick this thing out and I need some help implementing an idea. I have a buddha machine on the way :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUDDHA-MACHINE-III-CLEAR-DRONE-BOX-FM3-SUNN-0-/320921488125?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab8694afd

It is a drone generator with meditative sounds recorded on a chip. AFAIK the box itself has two controls : Play and Pitch. I want to take the board from this box and have it wired to play the loops through the effect. I'm thinking a parallel set of switches, a latching and momentary so you can either stomp it and just have the drone play continuously or hold the momentary for a bit of drone here and there. I guess it would also be desirable to have a toggle to select whether the drone plays through the delay or just goes straight through. The pitch control stays, I'm going to side mount the pot with a big knob so you can adjust it with your foot. Also the drone will need its own volume, that should be the easy part.

Anyways, thats my idea. It is an incredibly specific to the request of the guitar player in my band, he will create droning loops with his boss delay but it takes a bit to get something interesting going. We started playing with the Buddha Machine app on iphone and came up with the idea to have some way to really integrate a drone generator to the pedal chain. We had a few drinks...

soloarchitect

Oh GeeWhiz! I built this already, I was meaning to post this for the Engineers Thumb Compressor, DOH! But I will take the advice accordingly! Thanks!

slacker

Quote from: Colonel Angus on June 15, 2012, 04:35:23 PM
Sorry to paste this from another thread, but I could use some input:

Sounds like a cool idea, you seem to have it pretty well figured out, what do you need some help with?

Colonel Angus

I guess primarily my question would be how to couple the buddha box output to the guitar signal. Would it just connect to the circuit input the same as the guitar? Also wiring a toggle and stomp in parallel, is that as obvious as it sounds?

We'll see what unknown challenges the Buddha box will present...

aballen

Just thought I would share a pic of mine.  Awesome pedal.

So many builds, I just can't list them anymore.

slacker

beatnik

Quote from: slacker on June 11, 2012, 02:19:41 PM
Your regulator isn't regulating, pin 1 of the PT2399 should be 5 volts. Assuming you've used sockets, remove the PT 2399 and double check that the regulator is in the right way round and that all the connections to it are correct. Check the voltage on pin1 of the PT2399's socket and once you have 5 volts there, insert the PT2399. If you're lucky you haven't killed it  everything should work. If bypass is fine but the delay doesn't work then you've probably fried the PT2399 :(

Hi Slacker,

thanks a lot for your reply; your comment was spot-on! I had a regulator from a different manufacturer and I placed it without checking datasheet!

Replaced regulator and the fried 2399 and now we got echoooo o o o o o o

Thanks you!

slacker

No problem, glad you got it working.

davent

Originally had a 5532 as the buffer opamp and things were extremely hissy. Changed it to a TL072 and that had a dramatic effect, hiss was only noticable if you were paying close attention wanting to hear it. Made up a little board with the new input buffer on it (passives for the output buffer are on the main board) and to my ear, the new buffer's transparent.

Only had to pull the TL072 from it's socket, plug it into the socket on the buffer board then plug the new board into the TL072's old socket and exchaged the input wires. A piece of weatherstripping on the back cover presses on the TL072 to keep it all firmly in place.

...and the latest schematic shows a new 2.2uf cap shown in the LFO section, what is the purpose of that cap? What do i stand to gain by adding one to my pedal?

Great pedal, loads of fun!

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg