Am I pushing it with my 1Spot PS

Started by Fuzzy-Train, August 29, 2007, 07:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy-Train

I have 7 pedals powered by it right now (sometimes eight) a wah, phase 90, rebore 2.5, ce-2, 2 four knob boutique FF's from GGG, and an octavia... sometimes I have an EA trem but not always.

Anyways I was think of adding 2 more pedals to my chain, giving me 9-10 pedals on the same PS. One is the "forbidden Z" fuzz pedal, and the other is a rangemaster... all will/already have LED's. I'm just a little worried that it might be too much for one adapter.

What could happen if it is too much? Will I damage the PS or my pedals? I've heard rumors that you could possibly power 20 pedals with it but I don't want to take any chances ya know.

Thanks for your time and help. :icon_wink:

Alex T.

PS... if I should have put this in OT, apologies all around.
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

Ben N

To answer that precisely you would need to total up the currrent draw of all those pedals. BUT: I've run that much on a 500ma wall wart, which is less than half the current capacity of the 1-Spot, without even getting warm. Probably the only real current hog in that bunch is the Rebote. I'd guess you have a ways to go before you even get close to the capacity of that thing.

BTW, I'm guessing your RM and fuzzes are all (-)gnd, right?
  • SUPPORTER

Processaurus

Hi, as a rule of thumb, I would say most analog pedals you use a battery with would take 20mA or less (a lot of your pedals with only discrete parts, no opamps, will take very little power, like 3mA), the chorus a bit more, the rebote I'd guess like 50mA.  So if you are powering ~20mA pedals from a Onespot PS that can put out 1700mA, you can power 85 of them.

Fuzzy-Train

Thanks guys.

Yeah, everything is/going to be - grd

I knew the fuzzes and octavia wouldn't take up too much mA, but I had no idea it was THAT low. I was mainly worried about my other stuff... I figured they would take up more mA then what you guys mentioned.

I guess I've got nothing to worry about... which means I can make even more pedals muuhahahaha.

Thanks again for the help.

Alex T.
THERE IS NO SIG.

Stuff I built!

ehofherr

How many pedals would you realistically run at the same time anyway?  I have my tablesaw, planer, shaper & jointer plugged into the same electrical box.  I'm not concerned with overloading and popping breakers, 'cause I don't have enough hands to run all the equipment at the same time.
Need help with woodworking?  Just ask.

blanik

Quote from: Processaurus on August 29, 2007, 08:22:28 PM
...the rebote I'd guess like 50mA...

actually my Rebote sucked around 4mA  !!!!!  (without the LEDs...) with the LEDs it's around 20mA   :icon_redface:

i wich i could do without the LEDs, i could run a LOT of effects on one PSA...

the_random_hero

Quote from: blanik on August 29, 2007, 10:49:47 PM

actually my Rebote sucked around 4mA  !!!!!  (without the LEDs...) with the LEDs it's around 20mA   :icon_redface:

But LED's add style  ;D
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

blanik

Quote from: the_random_hero on August 29, 2007, 11:50:27 PM

But LED's add style  ;D

indeed! but actually the reason is that our shows get so sensory overloading (lol loud sequencers, signer throwing himself around (and somehow always lands on my pedals.. actually, i don't think there was a show where he didn't accidentally unplug my effect chain...  :icon_rolleyes: )), so overloading that i doubt i would be able to hear if an effect was on just by the sound... i really need those LEDs...  :icon_redface:

R.
PS about the Rebote power drain, don't forget there's a tranny that lower the current to 5.4V or so...

theblueark

I'm running these with a 1Spot and 3 daisy chains:
DIY Tycobrahe Octavia
DIY Fuzz
Zvex Wah Probe (added a d/c jack and an LED)
Subdecay Stupid Box
Sweet Sound Sweet Boost
Boss PS-5
Korg DT10
Korg 301dl Digital Delay with Danelectro FAB Flange in the wet only loop
Boss DD20
Danelectro Tuna Melt
Electro Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Danelectro FAB Chorus
Electro Harmonix Micro Qtron
Line6 Verbzilla
Korg Limiter/Compressor

That's 16 effects, all with LEDs.

Current drain was 480mA the last time I measured. All of them run perfectly with no noise. I was worried about the verbzilla cos people say the tonecores run at 9.6V and causes noise when daisy chained, but I brought my entire board down to the guy selling it and tried it out and it was fine.

With the 1Spot's advertised 1700mA theoretically I could run 3 identical boards  ;D

DeeBug

Hey theblueark,

Great to see that Tuna Melt of yours again.  I used your re-house instructions you had posted on another site, for which I'm very appreciative.  It saved my Tuna which had gone kaput when the switching circuitry crapped out.

Good to hear about the 1Spot too as I'm about to make the switch from a DC Brick and my board's about the size of yours.

Cheers again for saving the day on the Tuna Melt guide!

theblueark

That's great to hear! I'm always feeling guilty lurking and absorbing so much so it feels good to be giving back too  ;D

The DC Brick is actually a big daisy chain to me since you still need an adapter and all the outputs are not isolated.

On my board everything is daisy chained up and I leave the only female plug near the patchbay where I plug in my guitar and amp cables. I carry 2 1Spots to every gig just in case (so small and light!), but so far have never needed to use the 2nd.

Ben N

Sorry about the hijack, but that is one well-populated board, theblueark. BTW, I was not one of the lucky ones with Tonecore noise. My Echo Park adds some noise, not too bad, but the chorus is intolerable.

If you have actually done Dano rehouse instructions, I'd love to get a hold of them. Can you tell me where I might find them?
  • SUPPORTER

theblueark

Thanks man. My friends tell me it's the modules that are the problem. The Echopark is one that definitely has noise. I'm not too sure about the chorus but i'm really glad the verbzilla works fine.

I've done rehousings for a number of pedals but I only thought of doing the guide for the tuna melt because of this thread:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=152311

The guy did the guide halfway and never continued, leaving a lot of people hanging. I happened to get a hold of a used tuna melt so I decided to finish it off for them here:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=202746

The way his guide started off, it required removing the buffered bypass. Most of the time I just short out or remove the flip flops. If you want to do a quick and dirty job, the easy way is to simply short Q2' on the 4013 flip flop (pin 2) to ground (or if it doesn't work, to 9V). That'll turn the tuna melt always ON and from there you can just take the input and outputs as your normal effects in and out and wire with the 3pdt.

Much thanks to Clay Jones who drew that schem btw.

Ben N

OK, thanks. Those tutorials are fascinating. But seeing how involved, not to say costly, the project is, I think it makes more sense to build one from scratch. Still, very cool!
  • SUPPORTER

Processaurus

Wow, I thought it would be much more because of it being a digital pedal (all my boss and line 6 digital pedals suck a ton of current (~70mA).

Fuzzy-Train

Damn theblueark, that's one nice and tidy looking PB you got there. Did you buy it or make? How much was it?

It's amazing (well, to me) that such a little device like the 1Spot can power sooo many pedals. With this thing around I can't see why people would buy anything else.
THERE IS NO SIG.

Stuff I built!

Hanglow

I didn't realise they were all so low as well.

I just use a couple of adaptors that I found kicking about my house. Added a couple of caps and a regulator to them for filtering, and they are completely quiet.

theblueark

It took a long time adjusting the placements of all of them to get them fitted onto the board  :'( Was like trying to solve some puzzle.

I got the board from a local dealer who imports them from Japan. Because I know him personally, I got it for about SGD$120. That's about US$75. I've seen the exact same ones at some US site, but I forget where.

Here are more pics of a similar one (mine is plain black without the ribs):

It's made of wood and aluminum so it's pretty light but definitely not flightcase material. Easily dented and/or broken if not careful.