AC128 - looking - me too

Started by ethrbunny, August 31, 2007, 11:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulsonic

I think Jack's an awesome guy, but I wouldn't pay that much for a transistor that hasn't been thoroughly tested for gain and overall useability in the usual circuits. So, as far as that goes, the tested ones from Small Bear seem like the best deal.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

ethrbunny

Ive been a happy customer of SBE since I started building boxes. The only reason I didn't buy from there initally was my concern about a specific part number. The spec in consideration seems bent on AC128. If SBE says that I can get a 1:1 or better replacement from there then I am all over that. I have a few items to pick up for my list anyway - if someone from SBE will tell me an appropriate part# or SKU I'll get it.

--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

amz-fx

Quote from: soulsonic on September 02, 2007, 05:12:10 PM
I think Jack's an awesome guy, but I wouldn't pay that much for a transistor that hasn't been thoroughly tested for gain and overall useability in the usual circuits. So, as far as that goes, the tested ones from Small Bear seem like the best deal.

I stand by anything that I sell 100%. If someone doesn't like the transistors I will refund them without argument.

The 2N404a and 2N1309 are tested and guaranteed to meet the published gain specs, and to be low leakage.
http://www.muzique.com/pcb.htm

I got a new Peak Electronics transistor tester last week that I am now using to sort transistors and it works great. I recommend it to anyone who needs a similar test instrument.

regards, Jack

soulsonic

I have the highest respect for you and I think its great that you stand behind what you sell. I should probably restate what I said earlier by putting emphasis on the word I. I wouldn't pay that much, but that's because I have a Peak tester too and I can easily test through a batch that I got at a cheap bulk price. Even though, only a few would test good for a FF, they can usually all be used for something, and the Peak lets me sort them to exacting specs for leakage and gain. So, yeah, even though it's not the best choice for me personally, I think your service is valuable for people who don't have the resources, tools, knowledge, or inclination to sort through a bunch of random transistors to find those few gems.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

xnixiel

just to add my two cents here, bought some AC128s from banzai effects and they were great. Didn't realise until after I ordered that I could have chosen some within certain gain ranges. I also highly recommend their guitar pedal packages that come with everything you need to build a pedal (case, switch, jacks etc.)

smallbearelec

I should have added that I am not nearly the only reliable source for vintage germanium. Olaf Nobis of Banzai has, deservedly, many happy customers here, and Jack Orman's Muzique.com is also very much a trusted vendor. You are in a safe neighborhood, so have fun shopping.