[help] unity gain buffer?? to stick on the end of circuits?

Started by ulysses, September 03, 2007, 10:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulysses

QuoteA unity gain buffer, which has a high input and low output Z, will sometimes be used as a line driver to preserve the full frequency response of the signal.

is the very last sentance on jacks page on impedance: http://www.muzique.com/lab/imp.htm

does anyone have a schem of a unity gain buffer with high input and low output Z?

im not looking for a complete circuit, just a snippet i can add onto the end of other people circuits with bad output impedance.. preferably with a simple opamp like a tl071/2

EDIT: just to clarify, i know how to get unity gain buffer out of an opamp, its the high input / low output Z bit that i am unsure about..

cheers
ulysses

GibsonGM

Any opamp set up with gain=1 will be a hi-Z input, low-Z output.  By definition, a buffer doesn't amplify the signal, altho occasionally they will be used in a recovery type application, so 'unity gain' is kind of redundant.

There are a ton of transistor buffer circuits, too - 3 resistors and 2 caps....check out AMZ, and Tim Escobedo's site (in the links section).  GGG had a transistor buffer up at one time, too.   Maybe you missed this:
http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm
Has 'em all! 
Enjoy,

~Mike
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

ulysses

thanks mike i will check them out - had not read them :)

cheers
ulysses

soulsonic

Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

JHS

No buffer has unity gain, 0.7 - 0.8 x gain is what you get from a buffercircuit, for unity gain a small recovery stage after the buffer is needed and nearly all buffercircuits alter the sound.

JHS

Gus

alanlan

Quote from: JHS on September 04, 2007, 02:52:07 AM
No buffer has unity gain, 0.7 - 0.8 x gain is what you get from a buffercircuit, for unity gain a small recovery stage after the buffer is needed and nearly all buffercircuits alter the sound.

JHS

I beg to differ dear boy! :icon_eek:
Op-amp follower = unity gain
Emitter follower = just short of unity gain but as near as dammit for most purposes
As for sound alteration, well it's a bit arguable I suppose but a good quality op-amp will produce practically inaudible distortion and frequency response alteration.  What sometimes does get confused is that inserting such a circuit into an otherwise unbuffered set-up probably will alter the resulting sound - after all, if it didn't you wouldn't need one by definition!

GibsonGM

Right...some tweaking of caps or what have you may be required to reclaim whatever sound you were looking for - things could be brighter, punchier.  Most of us like that, though, he he....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...