[Help!]Moosapotamus' Gonkulator Layout!

Started by zencafe, September 12, 2007, 01:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zencafe

Hey folks!

I'm really curious about this effect... and would like to know if some has the moosapotamus' layout on your hardrives or somewhere else, since that website ain't working anymore :(.
I've seen topopiccione's layout, but I've read that's still a bit buggy and noisy, and the pcb is huge... don't attempt to criticize topopiccione's work, some of their projects are great, but I'd rather try another layout!

Thanks a lot!

Greetings from Chile!

Z.
Long Life to Cmos

moosapotamus

Well... I never did a layout for the gonkulator. I just provided some pics and comments. Dan N traced it out. And, with Paul Perry's help, I figured out how to make the carrier frequency variable. Should be pretty easy to dig that stuff up with the search function.

BTW, the original DOD unit is buggy and noisy. :P

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

krellmusician

Several years ago I modded one of my Gonkulators:

Used the Suck pot (is that the distortion level?) for the internal oscillator frequency adjustment.
Added a switch to take the place of the suck pot (clean <-> distortion; used an 81K resistor to set the distortion level, IIRC) (I play trumpet so distortion is not a vital effect for me; ring mod is useful, however).
Added a switch to change the capacitors controlling the oscillator frequency, so I get subaudio and audio frequencies.
Added a switch to change between triangle and square wave oscillator output feeding the modulator (this was not overly successful; I haven't looked at the waveforms on a scope, but I would guess that there's a DC offset present in at least one of them).

The switches run along the back edge of the controls, in-between the pots.  Not pretty, but it gave it a little more flexibility.  Still a lot of bleed-through, though... :icon_frown:

Dan N