Dr. Boogey Build Report

Started by blues_mang, September 13, 2007, 11:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blues_mang

Ok guys, I'm a rather newbie here, but have lurked and absorbed a lot of info. from this sight. So, I thought I'd start giving back and sharing. Anywho, I just finished by Dr. Boogey build. I built it using Gaussmarkov's layout with the scaled down tone stack and a PCB provided by John Lyons (whom, by the way, does a top notch job at etching boards. Thanks John!) I used all J201's in the build with no squealing or any of the other problems I was half expecting to meet after reading just about every post on this site about the build. This was my first real build outside a pedal kit. I've done about a dozen pedals from kits, so my soldering and finishing skills are up to par and I've also done Jack's Mosfet boost from one of his PCB's, so I thought it was time I took the next step. Boy, am I glad I did! Almost worked the first try, except I missed the part where the "out" comes from lug 2 of the volume pot. (Thanks again John for pointing that one out and saving tons of debugging time).

Let me say that this pedal has tons of gain on tap and dialed in right, you get some nice meaty, chunky tones. I am loving it! I am hoping to be posting some clips in the near future. My pedal is aptly named Wreck-tifier and I designed the pedal aesthetics to resemble those of the amp it is supposed to simulate. So, here are a few pics:

Here is a gut shot. Note: I use the MXR method of PCB mounting (floating). I had to "mount" it with the components down to fit. I lined the back cover with foam to keep from shorting. Works well for me although not very neat.

Here is a picture to show that the amp jewel light actually lights up. (BTW, that's an actual light in there and not a LED).

And it is hard to tell in the pictures because it came out small (such a small canvas to work on), but I painstakingly recreated the Dual Rec's logo with my own. Here is the original before I scaled it down.

Needless to say, I've been bitten by the bug and have since bought a breadboard, some Vero, and will be moving on to bigger and hopefully better things.

-BB
If you ain't gots da blues in yo shoes, then you got a hole in ya soul.

Pushtone

Very nice box treatment. That will catch some eyes fersur.

I sometime float my PCBs too.
A little 1/8" craft foam in the lid and the tension from the wires holds everything in place.
I've done that a bunch with 1590B boxes.

I like the control grouping you got going on.
A group for gain and a group for EQ,
and the jewel placed among them looks brilliant, the plating tough.

Dave
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

John Lyons

Brian

Glad you got the DB worked out, the build looks great, nice job!!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

petemoore

Yupp, nice treatment on the box motif'.
  Bulb / Lens is amp like eye candy, looks real nice on the dark background.
  Mounting is just silly to me often enough..takes so much fitting, so much easier to just wrap it or whatever and close it, seems to work great, a little padding never hurts, as long as it's pinned down and works, just so the wires won't get worn over time.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gaussmarkov

the_random_hero

I'm pretty tempted to drop all my other builds and make a Dr. Boogey right now after seeing that. Amazing job!
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

blues_mang

Thanks guys for all the nice comments!

I feel validated now.

tranceracer

very nice build!  Did you get those knobs from a local guitar store, order them or is there a poor knobless Boogie out there somewhere?

-tR

blues_mang

I got the knobs off of Ebay from Hongkongsuperseller. They were $10 for a set of 3 knobs which was the cheapest around. The nice thing was that they are drilled for standard 1/4" smooth shaft pots and not standard guitar pots. So, they fit the Alpha pots without modification.

Renegadrian

Which font did you use to modify the logo? Thank you
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

ayayay!

Nice Job!  Great tribute to the amp too!  Any soundclips?   ;D
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

djwackfriz

Awesome build dude! I love the look, nice tribute to the Boogie!

I GOTTA get me some of those knobs!

blues_mang

Thanks again guys for all the great comments. I'm still loving this pedal and the honeymoon's over. Hasn't left my board yet.
Renegadrian... I'll have to look back to see what the fonts were that I used.

I'm hoping to get some clips posted of a few of my builds in the next few months after I move into my new (warm) studio.

-BB

Renegadrian

Renegadrian

Alverman12

How did you do the decal ?
The adesive paper for printers is usually transparent.....which method did you use to print white letters/logos ? ???

blues_mang

The printer decal paper I used was white. It's the stuff from Office Depot that Dano over at Beavis Audio Research swears by. It's called photo gloss inkjet "Do-it-yourelf stickers". Comes 5 sheets in a pack.