Visual Volume Pedal Diagram???

Started by ianvomsaal, September 10, 2007, 03:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianvomsaal

I'm interested in building something similar to the Visual Sound Visual Volume Pedal.

:icon_question: Does anyone have any plans for one of these Visual Volume pedals :icon_question:

The pedal looks really cool with all the LED's so you can see where you're at volume-wise.
And I like the overall design and functionality (being able to see where my volume is), but
the size of this pedal is a big factor (it just takes up way too much room on my pedal-board).
I'd like to try and make it smaller -- perhaps try to put the design in a crybaby housing.
Cheers . . .

- Ian
click here: FOR MY BACKGROUND and TO LISTEN TO SOME OF MY MUSIC
~ Music-washes-away-the-dust-of-everyday-life ~ ART BLAKEY
~ Without-music-life-would-be-a-mistake ~ FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

wampcat1

You may not get much response with this particular project, but if it was me, I'd contact Bob at Visual Sound - he's a SUPER nice guy and very willing to help.

bw

The Tone God

You could just build a volume pedal with a dual pot with the second pot section controling something like a LM3914/5.

While I understand you are trying to get a smaller footprint I don't know if you will be able to clearly see the LEDs with your foot over the rocker.

Andrew

R.G.

Andrew's right - it's really hard to see those lights when you're standing on them.   :icon_biggrin:
There was a lot of work put into getting the overall design and function to be what it is.

Let's face it - a volume pedal adjusts volume. What is different about the Visual Volume is that it's a good size for your foot, the rocker friction is set right for rock-and-leave-it, you can SEE the LEDs with your foot on the pedal, the jacks come out the end to keep from making it even wider, the rocker pot is an in-stock assembly that is easy to replace when it wears out, instead of writing to the forums about what to do with your scratchy pot, the slanted sides shed beer really well... the list goes on.  :icon_biggrin:

It didn't get that wide just because we like wide flat things. And we are sensitive to the issue.

For years now, this particular complaint ("Your pedals are too wide and don't fit on my pedalboard.") comes up every time we do a show. We can take a ruler and measure the width of the dual pedals and the nearest positions of two single ordinary pedals on a pedalboard, and the duals are always narrower, but it's like Nigel saying "But these go to eleven." We get "OK, so two ordinary pedals are wider than your duals. But your pedals are still too wide." Lately I've taken to saying "OK, you're going to love our new singles when they come out! Look for them!"  :icon_biggrin:

Imagine trying to get back to half-volume and having to bend over and peer around your foot to do it. Have you taken a ruler and measured, possibly made a cardboard mockup of how wide your modified Crybaby housing would have to be with your foot on the pedal?

Seriously, Ian, it would be very difficult to duplicate the function at a much lower price than the pedal. And did I mention that our dual pedals are narrower than two singles, so that might save you some room on your pedalboard?  :icon_biggrin:

Here's another idea. We use the Pedaltrain products. Have you thought about getting another pedalboard? The wiring and construction would be easier, and Pedaltrain makes a dynamite product. (N.B., no business relation between Visual Sound and Pedaltrain; they just make good stuff and we use it for all our displays.)

As an aside, Bob did patent the visually-indicated pedal position, and it is a current patent. Visual Sound, you know.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

ianvomsaal

I get what you're saying, but my problem is that my pedal-board is already way too big (36x18), and when loaded weighs 54-LBS. :o
PEDALTRAIN DOESN'T even make a board that big (their biggest board is 32x16).
I was thinking about placing the LED's on the side of the pedal since I don't stand directly over my volume pedal (thus I can see the side just fine)
I just might have to buy the Visual Volume, take it apart, take good notes on how it's built, put it back together, and then return it.
I hate doing it, but sometimes in order for me to make what I want (for myself) I gotta do what I gotta do.
But thanks for all the suggestions.
Cheers . . .

- Ian

the_random_hero

Quote from: ianvomsaal on September 11, 2007, 01:57:11 AM
I get what you're saying, but my problem is that my pedal-board is already way too big (36x18), and when loaded weighs 54-LBS. :o
PEDALTRAIN DOESN'T even make a board that big (their biggest board is 32x16).
I was thinking about placing the LED's on the side of the pedal since I don't stand directly over my volume pedal (thus I can see the side just fine)
I just might have to buy the Visual Volume, take it apart, take good notes on how it's built, put it back together, and then return it.
I hate doing it, but sometimes in order for me to make what I want (for myself) I gotta do what I gotta do.
Cheers . . .

- Ian

Build your own pedalboard?
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

R.G.

Obviously, pedals for playing heavy metal...  :icon_lol:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

snap

Have you yet checked Ian`s signature, and read through his blog?

ehofherr

Cheers . . .

- Ian

What should go on stage...my pedalboard or the rest of the band?  When I have to ask that question, I'm probably making enough $$ to buy a volume pedal AND KEEP IT.

Try modifying these indicator circuits:
http://www.redcircuits.com//Page12.htm
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/page11.htm
http://www.free-electronic-circuits.com/circuits/audio-level-meter.html
http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Audio/audiolevelmeter.htm
http://www.diy-electronic-projects.com/p31-Sound-Level-Meter

Will that help?

Buy, take apart, take it back.  You lose cool points on that one, not to mention respect points. 2 thumbs down.
Need help with woodworking?  Just ask.

ianvomsaal

Well, I'm sorry to hear that I loose cool/respect points, but honestly that doesn't really bother me.
To each his own -- not everyone has tons of $$$ to buy gear -- I make music for a living (hopefully enough said).
I play mostly alternative type rock, blues, and fusion -- NO . . . I don't play METAL . . . but that's funny  :icon_biggrin:
Yes I built my own board -- then I built an ATA case around it for all the tours (this way I can take the board on planes and
buses without as much hassle (and everything's fairly protected).  Last tour I watched one of the Delta Airlines baggage crew
drop my board about 5 feet off a conveyor belt before he put it on the plane -- probably because it weighed more than he thought.
Thankfully everything was okay -- I'm glad I built the case -- who says ATA cases don't work  :icon_mrgreen:.
Cheers . . .

- Ian

Mark Hammer

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 11, 2007, 04:37:43 PM
... and when loaded weighs 54-LBS. :o

:o :o :o
What the heck is on there???
All you need is three Tone Core pedals, and you're halfway there. :icon_lol:

The Tone God

ianvomsaal: Is there anything in particular in the suggestions made here that is stopping you from building a version without going through the trouble of buying, reversing, cloning, and reselling ? I thought the suggestion I made was reasonable and easy. The issue of visibility was brought up, how are you going to deal with that building a clone ?

Andrew

ianvomsaal

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 11, 2007, 04:37:43 PM
:o :o :o
What the heck is on there???

It's not that I haven't tried (I'd love to have a Visual Volume on there).  I've actually tried to put one in place
of my Mister Super, but it was just too big for the area allowed -- it's a really tight fit as it is being directly
against the edge of the board and other pedals and cables (and funny enough the top inputs for cables didn't
save me any space, actually hurt me space-wise), and because of the VV's width I just couldn't squeeze it in.

Almost everything is daisy-chained with TWO Visual Sound 1-Spots (BTW, those work GREAT) - Unfortunately
I can't use the daisy chain with my RC-2 Loop Station because the 1-spot seems to generate some kind of high
pitched hum though that pedal, and I can't use it with the TONEBONE Hot-British because that requires 15-VDC.
I've got a tone of Boss stuff on the board starting with (bottom, right to left):

Boss TU-2 Tuner, (which I also use as a kill-switch most of the time), Vox Wah (TB & LED modded), CS-3
Compressor, 70's old script MXR BlueBox, BD-2 Blues Driver, TS-9 Tube Screamer, FullTone OCD, DOD-250
(true bypass & LED modded), TONEBONE Hot British (RC-2 external stop/erase pedal mounted under this).
Stepped Top:
AW-3 AutoWah (because of my space limitations I had to put it up here, but I've wired it after my VOX and
before the compressor), AC-3 Acoustic, PH-3 Phase Shifter, CE-3 Chorus Ensemble, TR-2 Tremolo, DD-6
Delay, RC-2 Loop Station (with external stop/erase F/S running down to the lower level under the ToneBone),
BBE Sonic Stomp, ending with a cable running back to the far top right of the board to a Modded Mister Super
Cry Baby used in the volume mode (this is pressed tight to the top, and is tight against my TU-2 on the bottom
with about a total of 1/4" of space on the right side for a cable in - the top is against the board and bottom left
half of this pedal is against the VOX - luckily with the side mounted output I can feed a cable in there to go to my
amp).  I also have a small power strip mounted to the top right of the board to power the ToneBone and RC-2.
The Power strip is also up against the top left side of the Volume - as I said, a tight fit.

In the end I may try a VV volume again - I'll have to attempt to rework some of the pedals, though things are
currently about as tight as I can get them.  As I said, the board has an edge that sticks up about 1/2 inch around
for the ATA case top, so I can't get any closer to the edge than I already am.
Anyhow, that's my board and it's limitations.
Cheers . . .

- Ian

David

Ian:

What's the primary thing you're trying to solve?  Visual indication or footprint?
I'm having trouble understanding why visual indication is an issue.  I don't want to sound flippant, but can't you hear volume increase or decrease?

OK, if footprint is the main issue, here are some possible suggestions.  I make them because two of them I have done, and the other I am considering doing.

1)  Get a Bespeco Weeper volume/wah.  Don't put a battery in it.  Presto - passive volume pedal unless you press the footswitch.  Then it becomes a passive mute pedal.  The Weeper is about the same width and somewhat shorter than a Cry Baby.

2)  If you're truly space starved, probably your best solution is to find a used DOD FX-17 on Evilbay.  This is an active volume/wah pedal.  It's optical and has no pots to wear out.  You DO have to power it, however.  I suggest you use the battery snap for that.  It's small, man.  Not even as big as your foot.  For the time being, this has become my volume pedal of choice.

3)  Finally, if you must build your own, look at Pedro Freitas' Stompboxworktop website or check out this link:
http://www.electrongate.com/projects/index.html

I have considered something like this.  I am considering building a volume pedal with a total width of 4 inches and a length of 8 to 10 inches.  The actual pedal would be about 2.5 inches wide.  This gives a .75 inch lip on each side of the pedal for pushbuttons or indicators.

MikeH

I'm really glad this thread turned into a "why is your pedal board so big" instead of a "rules about posting scems and intellectual property" lecture  :icon_lol:

I've got kind of a big one myself  (:icon_lol:), and in the past I've resorted to carrying oversised pedals (like wahs and volumes) in my guitar case and just putting them on the floor next to my rig.  I'm into the most basic solutions.

Quote from: R.G. on September 10, 2007, 08:41:52 PM
Lately I've taken to saying "OK, you're going to love our new singles when they come out! Look for them!"  :icon_biggrin:

And when can we expect to see these?  I believe I asked you about them about a year ago, so you must be getting close...
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I'm sure someone here is ingenious enough to devise some kind of physical display system - like a pointer, or some kind of shutter - that indicates the tilt of the rocker.
For example, a shaft extender & a drum indicator mounted on the outside of the pedal.

The Tone God

Part of the point I was trying to bring up is that the physical layout is part of the system so something has to be figured out to replicate that otherwise having the circuit is useless.

Depending on the size of your foot you could take a 1590B on it's end and attaching it to the side of a standard rocker pedal. That I would think would extend far enough out from the foot area that you can put a strip of LEDs in.

Andrew