Preamp Problem

Started by dpresley58, September 06, 2007, 10:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpresley58

I built a preamp for use with a bass guitar from the Anderton book's design section on building your own preamp. Simple non-inverting design with a TL071, built on perfboard using an 18v supply. I put a switch in the power supply ground to shut it off. The board ground is used for the supply ground as well, and then taken to a common ground with the pickups.

The gain wound up at about 4 and all was well - clean tone, plenty of headroom. So I started to box it up and turned the switch off to start doing so. After about a second or so of silence, a -loud- tone started going through the amp. Not squeal; tone.

I can't figure out why this is happening. Any ideas?
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

Mark Hammer

Sounds like something might be touching the case now that it's installed.

dpresley58

Thanks, Mark. I'll check it out, but I don't think that's the problem. I wrapped the underside of the perfboard in tape to ensure it wasn't, but who knows..? Worth a shot to make sure nothing is touching, though.

Any other ideas?

soulsonic

Maybe the input and output wires are too close together. Since it's non-inverting, the jacks should probably be separated by at least 3 inches and should definitely use shielded wire. The tone could be caused by positive feedback coming from the output back to the input - that's basically how many oscillators work.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

dpresley58

No jacks involved, but a good thought. The preamp is about an inch square and mounted inside the bass' control cavity. The original unit was about as big as a postage stamp and some oscillation did happen. That's what led to another version; larger and with the input/output on opposite ends of the board, and the bipolar supply wires on still another side.

The odd part about this problem is that the tone starts generating -after- the circuit's power is cut. As stated, the unit is powered by a bipolar 18v, with the switch killing the ground between the two batteries.

I'm stumped.

anchovie

Replace the power switch with a DPDT and use the other set of lugs to ground the hot lead to the jack when the power is off. I've no idea what is causing the power-off tone, but this would at least stop it from being heard.
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

dpresley58

Good idea, if I'm interpreting you correctly... You're saying the output should be cut off the same time as the power? (didn't understand the reference to "hot lead") I haven't let this obnoxious tone keep going long enough to find out if it'll eventually die out, but this leads me to wonder if the battery isn't being drawn from regardless...