Speaker For Ruby

Started by lynessmy, September 24, 2007, 06:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynessmy

Hi,

I had build the RUBY and are very satisfied with the capability of this mini amp to HI FI Speaker.
Now i'm considering more appropriated speaker but have no big money to fog out for JENSEN or Celestion.
What is the criteria to select good speaker for Guitar AMP?
Sensitivity? Anything else?

Steben

Many brands make "guitar" speakers.
A guitar speaker has a specific frequency range. Think of it as a broad woofer (80-8000hz).
8" is more midhigh, 10" is mid, 12" is more bass. Most people use 12" for the ruby, since it filters brittle highs.
Sensitivity is indeed much higher than most HiFi speakers. Think of at least 90dB/W.
Power rating isn't that important for the Ruby (max 1W music power).
A speaker that handles let's say 10W is already big time. Most are even higher than that.
But once you buy one, maybe you should take one that can handle big amps in the future too (50-100W).
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

the_random_hero

I used a mid range driver that I found at Jaycar. Sure the frequency is response or power handling isn't that good (6w max :D ), but it sure as hell sounds good when I drive it hard.
If you have the money, invest in a guitar speaker that has a good efficiency (anything above 90db/w/b is fine, but I'd be aiming for 93+) - something like a 10" Weber would be perfect.
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

Krinor

I've tried lots of different speakers for my Ruby's. I've tried 6'' speakers found in old Philips cabinets picked up from junkbins and they sound okay. Anything goes. Try cheap stuff. Why buy when there is such a lot of fun speakers to play around with for free ? My current favourite is a twin cabinet I've made. It contains two 8'', 4 ohm speakers from the 50's with large magnets (I found them in an old firestation - they had been used for the intercom system). I've wired them in series to get 8 ohms which someone else on here said is ideal for the Ruby. My cabinet is completely closed in the back and contains a bass reflex sylinder pointing forwards between the speakers. It sounds excellent.
If I ever decided to buy anything I'd probably go for a Jensen 10" for this kind of amp.

Ronsonic

Originally guitar speakers weren't "guitar" speakers, they were just speakers that were chosen to work with guitar. The things you're looking for are a light tight paper cone and a lot of efficiency. The paper cone part is obvious. What isn't is that a big honking magnet won't help.

Old stereo mids and woofers from goodwill or fleamarket singing furniture pieces often work great and often come with a tube amp kit inside.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

Krinor

About big "honking" magnets; Well that depends on what kind of magnet it is... Surely a larger ferite magnet(is that what it's called in english) will be better than a tiny one. But a any small alnico magnet will probably sound better than most others. Agree with the light, tight paper cone. And foam lined cones from the 70's should probably be more or less avoided ?

brett

Some manufacturers seem to lie about efficiency, so if possible, listen to different speakers at the same volume level.  For real ratings, I'd be looking for 95dB/W @ 1m, which counts out things like cheap car stereo speakers.

I use a non-Celestion "Greenback clone" that has great tone and is definately more efficient than the original.  In Oz it cost more, but apparently such speakers cost about $50 in the US, which seems a good investment compared with a poor quality $20 speaker.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

mac

I suggest any 12", celestion, jensen, eminence, etc.
Hear the sound of a variant of the ruby at:

http://guitarfxs.tripod.com
Jade practice amp amp

Speaker is an HH Invader 12" of a Laney amp.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

km-r

i used a crown "instrumental" speaker... what does instrumental mean???
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Ronsonic

Google sez:

Results 1 - 30 of about 2,140,000 for instrumental definition. (0.12 seconds)

Web definitions for instrumental
   relating to or designed for or performed on musical instruments; "instrumental compositions"; "an instrumental ensemble"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

lynessmy

Hi All,....thanks for reply...i'm more equipted now to not listen to the nonsense of the salesman...Hopefully the retail can allow me to test before purchase...